1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dominic McKay

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jan 29, 2021.

Discuss Dominic McKay in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

What about a simple, honest assessment on how things clearly aren't going as well as they could be and that there is room for improvement?

Vision? What * vision is he exactly talking about? In denial already and he hasn't even started the job yet. Alresdy got him marked down as another *.

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

That's the spirit.. :56:

3. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Any spirit has been completely beaten out of me.

4. wulliebad

Its fine,its not always easy to tell.:43::ynwacelti

5. celtic warrior

Well from a totally different sport for one.

Should prove to an interesting restart under him.

Whether that interesting is good or bad will be hard to judge for some time

6. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I work closely with people that have been involved with SRU at the highest level for many years and I've only heard bad things about him.

Hopefully it works out.

7. ddub11

Someone new to blame!!!

8. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    *. From the dizzy heights of being reasonably happy that something positive has happened, to being let down with bang.

Hammy89 likes this.
  9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'm no caring about his background too much.

Nowt wrong with lawwells background if he kept himself out of football matters.

Rugby, cricket, doesn't matter. He seems to have done well with sru.
    Well at least from a complete outsider who doesn't know the sport, it seems on the up and doing well in popularity and commercially.

Willing to give the lad a chance, football comes first though.

Simple rule of thumb that should be followed (that lawwell never), build a squad capable of getting in to the chanpion league group stage and you'll have a squad that will clean sweep the spfl.

If you build for that, you'll get 40mill+ more a season.
    End of the day, that's a win win.

Folk will keep saying Desmond needs to go as well, I get that, but end of the day he doesn't do * all but act as the "lender of last resort" as such.
    The shareholders and the board care for one thing - balanced books.
    Peter lawwell focused too much on securing that with the bare minimal effort, rather than pushing the boat out a little to gamble on collecting more money for that end product(for the share and board).

I'd rather a CEO and a DoF in charge who are willing to give us that chance of football success, they can take their cuts when needed.
    Than still take their cuts, but restraining the football.

Because as much as the board and shareholders tend to care for their bottom line, ours (bottom line) is a successful football team, that even if we fail, we at least strive for the best we can.

That is something this season has not been, no one has tried their best from top to bottom.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  10. DonnyCelt

Tbf you don't need a background in football to do the CEO job. Make Celtic the best it can be ON the park and not just off it and he'll do fine.

SuperZidane and Peej like this.
  11. davidhannah

Rugby in Scotland is so much better promoted than the SPFL. Maybe he can come in and shake the game up.

Starting by cutting the ticket prices to something reasonably affordable post pandemic. Please do this.

Can he pressurise the repeal of the draconian Alcohol ban of 1981 to have alcohol sales in line with the success at Rugby?

Adequate team investment, European group stages is a must every season we need to spend enough to get there and not blow millions on foreign markets.

Recruitment is a priority.

Fan engagement the board is disconnected from the celtic support.

Hoops13 and The Dude like this.
  12. oh bhoy

what sort of bad things?

13. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

He better introduce himself like John Mckay on STV news.

"I'm Dominic Mckay"

Cena likes this.
  14. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    This guy's main objective must be to do everything to allow Celtic to qualify and compete in the group stages of the Champions League as much as possible. When i say 'compete' I just mean give a good showing of ourselves and not be humiliated. If we were to do that on a regular basis there may be the odd year when we go past the group stages. If we were good enough to do that then domestic success would be guaranteed. Would be great to get back to those days, which weren't too long ago when we were a team that many did not want to face in Europe particularly at Celtic Park where we were beating the best clubs in Europe had to offer.

15. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Wish he was in the door now to stop all these positive zoom calls when there is nothing to be positive about.

16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He's the CEO of the club, no the whole SFA/SPFL :56:

17. SuperZidane

Not being popular at grass roots level is not unusual. I worked for one of the major sponsors of * soccer throughout the UK and visited many "grass roots" clubs and associations on my travels - nobody had a good word for the senior management or board members - ultimately they distribute the available funds so obviously lots of folk will be disappointed.

I imagine its the same in Rugby.

I have no idea what this guy is like so I'll give him a chance. I'm certainly not going to pre-judge him because some grass roots rugby people don't like him.

18. SuperZidane

Exactly - I think it's a positive that he's a Rugby guy and not a football guy. That was Lawwell's big problem - he was a wannabe DOF or manager and was allowed to interfere.

As long as this guy can do the business commercially off the pitch - he must leave our new DOF or manager to handle the football side of things - that's how the club should be run but hasn't been.

19. Foley1888

Yeah totally get the above in a job like that you won’t please everyone. Anything I have also read from the media seems positive.

For me success will come from what he does around the football operations and who is brought in there. Doubt the rags have accurate information but what they say he will do there sounds like what we need.

20. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Incoming Celtic chief executive Dominic McKay will reportedly be given free rein to transform the club's footballing operations upon his arrival.

The 42-year-old will succeed Peter Lawwell on July 1 after the long-term Parkhead top dog announced his retirement on Friday.

McKay will make the switch from Scottish Rugby and will be tasked with breathing new life in the wake of a nightmare season that currently sees them 23 points behind rivals Rangers.

But the Daily Mail state that a behind the scenes review has already been completed with a plan in place on what must be implemented to modernize in the coming years.
    Current boss Neil Lennon revealed he hasn't had contact with McKay and it's believed a root and branch overhaul is on its way.

And that could include a a new head of football who would work alongside a head coach figure in the mould of former boss Brendan Rodgers.

Their remit would include improving the current scouting set-up, trading players to maximise value and revamping the current academy set-up with a focus on the club;s long-term strategy.

It's also claimed principal shareholder Dermot Desmond may be able to entice potential new managers more readily in the wake of Lawwell's departure due to his formidable reputation.

Supporters have been calling for an overhaul to the club's football operations amid their nightmare season with tensions boiling over in the wake of the Betfred Cup exit at the hands of Ross County.

Even during the trophy-laden years - many of the club's followers were miffed with what they believed was a lack of forward planning ahead of crunch Champions League qualifiers to start a new campaign.

Celtic have been absent from European football's top table for the past three seasons and will face a treacherous route to the group strage this time around if they finish second in the Premiership and enter in the non-champions path.