1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else feel Deila has been unlucky?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by DJ CJ, Apr 18, 2016.

Discuss Does anyone else feel Deila has been unlucky? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Geraldine McCan

The metrics that Lawwell has to satisfy to earn his bonus are all wrong.

Management 101.

2. Dirk_Diggler

Nope he's arrived and stuck with the same powder puff formation, the football is diobolical we were a laughing stock on Sunday and couldn't get near a team that has spent about 1 million puting a team together, it shows you the difference if you have the correct man in charge!

* the board and the comedy duo on the touch line

3. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Not so much. He was too stubborn to learn from tactical errors. For a young manager like him, that does not bode well. I can tolerate mistakes happening occasionally, but lessons must be learned. Ronny never did, unlike Lennon.

4. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    The formation has cost him big time . 4-2-3-1 in a country in which you normally play against a parked bus?

Should have just want outright 4-3-3 early on ( and brought in extra strikers instead of half a dozen extra AM's)

5. Lecs

This.

In every single football game you could say lucky, unlucky, if and but. For every goal we have scored, you know another team is feeling unlucky and that if they scored their chances they could have won.

This season and last season we have just not been up to it, and I think the bulk of the blame lies at the management's door. The players have been a shambles as well, we need a serious clear-out.

6. TimFloyd Gold Member

He had one system and that was it, no matter how much it wasn't working he never would change it, either through stubbornness or just in shear hope that it worked.

He just isn't a good rough manager for us.

Not mentally strong enough, not nearly authoritive enough.

7. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

As individuals we have some good footballers and proven that to the Celtic support

Johanson,Bitton ,Brown Commons Armstrong GMS the list goes on horrendous players at the minute something has gone wrong ,nothing to do with being unlucky

Roberts scoring that miss won't change the fact that we are poor

8. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

You make ur own luck in football it seems any time we play someone even half decent we look 2nd best

9. CharlieMulgrini

10. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

"You make your own luck in football" etc, etc

Yeah, things could have fallen differently for him, but they haven't.

We were battered by Legia Warsaw and naive against Maribor. We crawled through an easy Europa League group, but we did get through at least, He was unlucky against Inverness that year.

This year we've been cuffed by Malmo and Molde. We did play reasonably well against Ajax and Fenerbache, but the two teams were there for the taking at home and we allowed them back into the games. Then we were done by Ross County and Rangers in poor semi-final showings.

We've looked poor domestically all season, and winning the League is purely down to having much better players over the course of a 38 game campaign. A competent manager would have had us out of sight.

A rookie manager who has had to learn quickly at a big club without proper backing from his board. I have sympathy for him, but he's not been unlucky.

11. Bunk Moreland

The tactics were * and there was no need to play that way but most of what else you've been saying about the game is correct. The media are creaming themselves and talking bullshit that Sevco "played and passed us off the park" That narrative is 100% horse *. This is how it actually went down.

Goals and shots:

We had 33 shots and 10 on target, roughly averaging a shot on target every 12 minutes and a shot every 4 minutes.

Sevco had 9 shots and 3 on target, roughly averaging a shot on target every 40 mins and a shot every 13 mins.

We scored twice, they did too however their goals came from a defensive error and a freak shot from throw in they shouldn't have had.

Craig Gordon made 1 save the entire game from Kenny Miller in the first few minutes we forced their keeper to make several.

Now I don't know about anyone else but it seems to me that attack wise we were far superior It wasn't even close.

Possession:

Sevco had 61% of possession, we had 39%

Sevco passed the ball around their defence and defensive midfield going nowhere because our tactics allowed them to do that, they reached the final third and were clueless their shots and shots on target per minute tell that story.

We used our possession to attack constantly, not * about in defence, we got the ball and had one thing on our mind, go forward and get a shot on goal our attacking stats show that to be the case.

So who used that possession better? We did of course, they had less than 2/3 of possession, we had 3/4 of the shots on goal. Their possession amounted to nothing more than time wasting.

Defending:

Tells it's own story, after 15 minutes we swallowed up everything. Sevco tried the middle, the wings, they had 10 corners and produced absolutely nothing.

We scored from a corner, scored by opening up their defence and had a ton of shots

Better defence? Well the one who's goalkeeper only made one save in 120 mins of course.

Midfield:

Sevco had loads of possession passing sideways and backwards, it was ineffective had we closed them down like we should have they wouldn't even have had that. Our tactics allowed them possession.

We got the ball and intended on going forward, we gave the ball away a lot but that's to be expected when you go forward and not * about.

Ball winning was about even but again when we won it we went forward, they went sideways.

Better midfield? We used it better to create attacks, they fannied about because they were clueless of how to attack us.

Goalkeepers:

They won that one, ours didn't have to make a save in the final 105 mins of the game and was beaten by a freak shot. Their keeper kept them in the game.

So that kind of dispels the myth the media are pushing that the gap has closed, they played us off the park etc etc etc. Truth is we played badly and they played the best game of the season and still could barely muster a shot on target never mind beat us over 120 mins of football. They way they go on you would think Sevco could have won by 4 or 5 when the truth is they didn't even get enough shots on target to score that many.

12. Kurt 2112

Fav Celtic Player:
    Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
  13. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Good post. While we lost we certainly didn't get 'humped'. :50:

14. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Impossibly to be 'unlucky' that many * times. Ridiculous question.

15. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    :50: good review of the game.

We were the better team. It wasn't really a contest in my eyes, even though we played quite poorly.

Call it what you want, but Lady Luck wasn't on our side on Sunday. Paddy missing an open goal; Griffiths hitting the bar and then it coming back of the keepers hand and went out; the turf kicking up when Rogic took his penalty; their keeper making several good saves.

Mckay scored a screamer that he couldn't do again if he tried and auld fake tan scored from a deflection of Brown. As well as that, it was quite clearly our shy before McKay scored. I would say all of them instances were harsh luck on us.

I'm not deflecting from the fact that it was poor overall, but there is no doubt that we were the better team on the day.

* Mo Johnston and his Barcelona quip. The guy is a knuckledragging eejit. Hasn't got a scooby.

16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Maybe your right although stats do only reveal half the story. The reaction from everyone was for all to see on here during the game. Especially that first half they actually played alot better than us.
    Have we over reacted because people expected us to have the ball and them camped in there box for 90 minutes while we pound them. However it felt the opposite during the game. Keep in mind they have a snail in Kenny miller upfront and that's why they never get any shots. Too slow to create the gaps.

Now what's more worrying is there team played alot better football. Like it or not no other team passes the ball out the back under pressure like our players where not there so easily. Now that's what you've to ask our management. How can they manage that with * players yet most the times Charlie mulgrew punted it up to griffaldo. That's bad management.
    Am I worried the gaps closed? Of course not but it's there to see what that manager has done in one season to that team. Thank * there skint because we would be under serious pressure if he got money to spend.

That's the big warning bell and it's time to move ronny on and spend some money to crush their dreams before Christmas. If we stay the same, by next season the gap will be closed.

17. Bunk Moreland

Yeah I heard the Barcelona quip, someone should ask him how many shots on target Barcelona have in a game, I'd bet my left nut it's more than an average of 1 every 40 * mins :smiley-laughing002: He's a * clown.

Yes they were lucky which to an extent makes us unlucky but I'm not using that as an excuse, we drew (yes media the scoreline was even after 120 mins) the game because our tactics were *. No way should we be looking to sit back and hit that * mob on the counter when their best player would struggle to get a game in our development team. We were poor tactically and the manager again failed to motivate the players.

18. Biggie Smalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris commons
    Good analysis of the game. :50:

It was clear as day watching the game that player wise, the gap hadn't closed at all. We are vastly superior in absolutely every position and it showed during the game imo. The only reason we lost was idiots in the dugout.

If we had any kind of competent manager we'd horse them no doubt.

19. Bunk Moreland

They passed it out the back comfortably because our tactics allowed them to do so, when they got to where it mattered they created nothing. You can pass a ball around defence all day but it will get you nowhere. To say they played better football is off the mark when their football is sideways and ours is forward. I'd rather lose the ball trying to score than keep the ball passing sideways and backwards to a team mate 5 yards away. If you're not creating chances it's not really good football is it?

Ronny needs to go though, there's no doubt about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2016
  20. Roskopicachu

Listen, Ronny is a * manager. The heads went down weeks ago and a lot of the guys must be wondering about their futures. He's hardly went through the squad and picked the best team, he's sent out a number of players on loan he didn't need to and throws in newbies in big games regardless of whether they can handle it or not.

Collins and Deila looks like a personality clash to me. I never ever did think Deila and Collins were doing anything but compete against each other.

I knew as soon as i saw Collins training the first team, school level training might upset the seasoned pro's at the club. It's patronizing to be saying to a double winning team, hey everybody, just in case you don't know how to control a football, this is how you do it.

This is what the board brought in, dafties who felt the need to take on the first team as if they'd never played big time football before.

All the loaned players go out and you're rocking out at Hampden with Roberts, GMS and Johansen. That's asking to get sacked, but the truth is Ronny has no idea what the old firm is all about, he might do now. It's not an important game Ronny. Just the one that gets you sacked.

I hated the game from start to finish, as soon as the line-up went out i thought, he's stuck with the same team regardless of whether it wins or loses. I've seen some bad results in Ronny's time here, some very embarrassing decisions. Has to stop and the sooner we get these charlatans out the club the quicker we can start getting everything evaluated for next season. But i'm not gonna hold my breath on Ronny being sacked because he's obviously also a complete *.