1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else feel Deila has been unlucky?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by DJ CJ, Apr 18, 2016.

Discuss Does anyone else feel Deila has been unlucky? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Yesterday's result was horrendous and I'm the first one to say it. And no wonder 99% of our support want him gone after that.

But, once again, we were the better team over 120 mins. There was absolutely no comparison whatsoever. Did Craig Gordon make a save? Did they get into our final third at all in that game apart from auld fake tan latching on to Browns mistake? I cannot recall it at all.

A wondergoal by that wee McKay fella and a goal given on a plate to fake tan was good luck for them. Roberts horrendous miss, Griffiths a midgies * with that freekick and the turf kicking up when Rogic hit the penalty suggests that Lady Luck was not on our side.

And the team was full of * cat shitebags which the manager, unfortunately, cannot control. Brown was the epitome of it.

2. JamesM09

One of the managers jobs is to prepare the team mentally. Deila hasn't done that all season.

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

No we weren't.

Other than the first 10 minutes of the second half we were * dreadful. They passed us off the pitch at times. It was embarrassing.

I know possession doesn't tell the full story but they had 67% of the ball. 33% of possession is * poor, never mind against a * Championship team.

We should have controlled the match from start to finish, like we did last season.

4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    We weren't the better team. We had the better quality on the pitch, but in terms of setup, organisation and general teamwork, they were miles ahead.

5. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    As I've said previously, if the players in that team didn't know what was expected yesterday, then every single one of them should be out the door. You don't need a manager to tell you to not shreik in the jersey like they did yesterday. If they needed motivation or had to be told what yesterday was all about then they don't deserve to be playing at Celtic and raking in the money they do.

The managers job is to motivate a team when we have to go up to Ross county on a January weekday at 7:45. Not a cup semi final against the Huns at Hampden.

6. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Completely wishful thinking unfortunately. The reality is that there is a motivational issue within the squad, and that issue is the responsibility of the management to address. It's all well and good saying "well you're highly paid professionals, you should be motivated any time you pull on the jersey" etc, but it's not reality.

7. Celticswede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I sort of feel bad for the * in a way though. It's not like he wanted to fail here, he's not dumb and probably aware of how badly he's * up

8. JamesM09

It's not always about motivation. It's about equipping them to handle pressure. Collapsed under pressure every single time this season and that comes from the manager. Luck has nothing to do with it.

9. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

Did Scott Brown not credit Lenny for raising the teams spirits at half time in the cup game when they were 2-1 down.

10. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    They passed the ball around the middle of the park and got nowhere near our final third. I found it funny how every time they got the ball into the final third possession was turned over. Very rarely did they get to the byline or get a ball into the box. If we played our open game then their two fullbacks (best players) would have had the run of the field.

The way we were set up was to destroy them on the break. And we had a good few chances. But by and large, the front 6 did nothing.

A good compassion to make is we were set up like Juventus when they played us at CP. Let them keep the ball and horse them on the break.

I know I'm in a minority, but the tactics gave us the grounding to absolutely horse them.

11. JimMc

:icon_mrgreen:

Well put, me too.

Soon be over the feelings for him, especially when I consider what a lucky * in life he has been to have been paid to manage a Club he had no obvious credentials for.

As for Collins I just hope Lawell has no plans for him. save the exit.

Come to think of it Lawell has been grossly overpaid for these past few stuck in neutral seasons.
    He can f off as well if he does not get his act back together

12. Dubliner1

He's had 2 yrs. As most on here know I never took to the man. From the first week he caused splits in the camp. Certain players NEVER took to him. As his time in charge we have become an AWFUL team. Yesterday was the final straw. He should never been our manager. He was always a Number 2. For some crazy reason Lawwell give him the No.1 spot. The board have a lot to answer for. We should be aiming our anger at the bunch who run the club

13. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    We need to agree to disagree then. If the players didn't understand the intensity that surrounded this game or the hype beforehand, then they should have when they set foot on the pitch.

There is a wider problem if they are not up for a game of this magnitude.

14. Green And White

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youl never walk alone.
    I'd say he's had more good luck than bad. If it weren't for Griff i dread to think where we could be right now.

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It's quite possible mate, I really can't remember.

At the end of the day football isn't that dissimilar from any other line of employment. The manager may not be solely responsible for motivating his players/staff, but he certainly carries the bulk of the responsibility. It's wishful thinking to think if both sets of players realise the magnitude of the game at hand, they'll both be equally as motivated. They're human just like everyone else, and morale can dip from month to month, week to week, even minute to minute during the game. Part of the manager's job, for me at least, is to mitigate the impact of those dips, or if possible prevent them entirely.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    On the flip side, he's totally transformed Griffiths as a striker..

Where would Griffiths be without Ronny getting him to shape up in the development squad to now?

17. saltire78

I believe Deila has been stunningly unlucky in incidents and in how he's been 'managed' himself by the board but ultimately he can take most of the blame for not fixing things that were clearly wrong, and in that regard has created his own luck...

That said, in cold, hard numbers he's managed us for about 115 games, winning about 66% of those and losing only about 15%... I know a lot of managers who'd love that kind of 'bad luck'. I also know a lot who'd say that if their team had played 115 games, plus international matches aplenty, in about 96weeks that there were mitigating circumstances for why the team looked tired or demoralised...

18. JimMc

You're Spot on

It was only Delia's/Collins tactics (or /combined with several Celtic players not up for it) that had sevco looking like Barcelona to Judas Johnstone & others who can't see the wood for the planks.

Fact
    A pub team can knock the ball about in middle third if no feckers are pressing them.
    Sevco never threatened f all but boredom with their unopposed passing.

Unfortunately I have seen this shyte idea(s) on soccer watching Ireland under Crapatonni

Maybe!! these weird tactics had /have some merit with a team of complete quality who can afford to sit and wait for a break at speed.

but more likely a redundant ember of a 1970's system that Delia was convinced by in some seminar of nodding newby managers.

19. Murph-E

I don't think he has been unlucky at all. Within two months as manager he was beaten 6-1 on aggregate and allowed another chance to go through because of a 90th minute ineligible sub. He hasn't been plagued with any real misfortune imo.

20. Biggie Smalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris commons
    The useless *'s lucky to still be in a job.

He's the opposite of unlucky, he was luck to inherit a squad that was a few decent signings away from being CL ready sgain and he somehow * it up and he was lucky to be in a league with absolutely no competition and the * nearly * that up too and lets not forget legia.

He's been an abject failure in every area and has somehow managed to still steal a wage off us for 2 seasons.