1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else feel Deila has been unlucky?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by DJ CJ, Apr 18, 2016.

Discuss Does anyone else feel Deila has been unlucky? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Splitting hairs ya *.:smiley-laughing002:

2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    At time he has been, like the Inverness semi refereeing decisions, the Ross County semi Ambrose getting sent off, even the Sevco one we almost won at the death. Also in Europe we scored good goals away to Malmo?(Bitton) and Astra(Griffiths) that were disallowed, think the Astra one was to put us 1 up or 2 up and the Malmo one got the tie back to 1 goal we needed to qualify and Maribor away Johansen blocked a Van Dijk header on the line which stopped us going 1-0 up which could have helped us qualify.

Ajax and Fenerbahce too we actually played well and could have won 2/3 of those games and won none. Not a lot he could have done there. Same with Inter away we were down to 10 men but done well to stay in the tie until the last minute of the away Leg.

Then again all those games Inverness, Ross County, Malmo, Maribor, Sevco, Fenerhabce, Ajax and Inter that were in the balance and quite even but for the odd decision, red card or that we lost the lot and haven't really won any games like them so it shows that theres probably more to it than luck.

But many other things have been done wrong, he's not flexible enough tactically, weird decisions with the team, signings not been great Scepovic and Ciftci signed to sit on the bench then be loaned out with no real chance to get a game(see also Allan and Christie).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016
  3. Bunk Moreland

You wouldn't know unless they actually played each other. As far as I'm concerned a CL standard team is in the CL and the same rule applies to EL standard teams.

4. Bunk Moreland

:smiley-laughing002:

5. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    That's because he inherited Lennon's team, and Lennon inherited Mowbray's team.

Under Lennon there was a sense of season upon season progress, under Delila it's season upon season of decline.

6. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    He was lucky to get to extra time never mind penalties on Sunday. We were also lucky we were playing a pretty rubbish team. We were lucky we had a path clear to win the cup against lower league opposition.

7. Onefootwonder

You could look at any team and find personal mistakes by players that lost the game. That's part of football.

Even taking the mistakes into account the rest of his time hasn't been good enough either.

8. ordinaryman

Yes he has had unlucky moments and situations but he has shown an incredible stubbornness to change tactics especially against packed SPFL defences. This lack of variation has meant that other Managers suss us out and plan accordingly. We bring players in and then put them in the Development Team, eg Christie & Allan. After Malmö 1st leg , Ronny said it was a waste of time to get the guys to watch/analyse the game because it was a "1 off" and would be of no benefit. Problem was it did happen again.

Yes, so many unlucky moments, but he has made it so difficult for himself with his sheer * mindedness - Ronny would probably call something like "clear vision".

9. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I take your point on results, but sometimes I try to look towards the long term. Sometimes good results can mask poor performances which will translate into poor results over the long run. I feel the converse is also true. Just my opinion though.

Honestly, have you ever been comfortable in our ability in Europe under any manager? For example, after beating Barca were you really comfortable that we would beat Spartak Moscow at home to go into the last 16? Genuinely I am always nervous at a European game which is what makes these games.

I always record our European games on the Sky box and watch them a good few times. When I am at the games I am a nervous wreck and never feel comfortable. But when I rewatched a few of these games I seen we were the better team and played better football.

In my opinion, I seen good performances against:
    Red Bull Salzburg home and away
    Ajax home and away
    Fenerbache home (* you Efe!) and away
    Inter home (Craig Gordon horrorshow) and away (down to 10 men and played very well)

The recurring theme is that we were better in all these games against teams who would be viewed as 'superior' to us. Our downfall is that we are poor against teams where we are viewed as the 'superior team'.

This has been an age old problem at Celtic. We are better when we are the underdogs. We do not deal well with the pressure of being the favourite in Europe.

10. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    We are talking CL teams here. Big step up in quality from Malmo, Molde, Salzberg. During that period I always felt it was possible to beat anyone at home be it Barca, Milan, Man Utd. Last season I was worried, as it turned out rightly so, for Molde at home. Were he here next season I would worry against any team from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Croatia, Bulgaria etc.

11. James Gold Member Gold Member

He is very much the opposite he is lucky to still be in a job

12. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    When the same issues continue to arise and become aparent time and time again, especially in big games, you can no longer put it down to luck.

13. Bunk Moreland

Exactly how I see it, bemoaning a single decision, what about the other 89 minutes of the game we have to beat them?

14. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    i think some people underestimate 'luck' in football. Imagine Shakhtar Karagandy didn't hit the bar from that long throw in at CP (Deila equivalent is Johansen clearing Van Dijks header off the line). Imagine the Spartak player didn't get sent off against Hooper (Deila equivalent is Van Dijk getting sent off v Inter). Imagine Forster didn't make that ridiculous save from Messi x20 (Deila equivalent is Gordon having a horror show against Inter). Imagine Sammy wasn't given that penalty against Spartak which was very contentious. Imagine we were given a penalty against Juventus for their rugby tackling.

Luck always plays a part in football.

15. gengar

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    heat of lisbon
    As always, it's nonsense only to focus on when we've been unlucky and claim that's why we lost games. We've scored plenty of goals when our opponents were unlucky too - that's just football for you. So why do you ignore all those times we were lucky?

The Malmo matches were a perfect example of this which shows how it's so absurd that people keep bringing that up as an example of how we were unlucky. All three goals we scored in that tie were due to Malmo being unlucky (glancing / bad headed clearance leading directly to Griffith's second goal) or their defense completely messing up (CDs utterly falling asleep on Griffith's first, failing to mark Bitton on his headed goal).

16. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    This.
    If we were good enough, we wouldnt have bemoaned the fact that the ball sat up, or the keeper pulled off a worldie onto the bar. We should have buried them. Comfortably. Thats the long and short of it.

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Of course it plays a part, but motivation, respect, tactics and so on also play a huge part.

Yesterday for example. Yes we were unlucky with Roberts' miss and Griffiths' free kick - but we should have won that game comfortably enough with a far better performance.

In all honesty, that result yesterday is worth a sacking alone.

18. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:

When have we ever not had problems against these type of teams? Aalborg, Copenhagen, Artmedia, Helsinborg, elfsborg were all difficult ties

19. seanolamisio

Fav Celtic Player:
    king henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Central defence issues cant be blamed on him.players spitting the dummy and not giving 100% cos they don't like the guys methods,personality,assistants or whatever the Feckn problem is,cant be blamed on him.signings?who knows who decides what goes on there?too inflexible with his formation at times,his fault.too loyal to certain players,his fault.but that team we put out shouldve dominated sevco easily.3 international captains ffs!seen it when lenny took temporary charge after mowbray.all of a sudden the same dickheads who got pumped 4 0 @ st mirren COULD play fitba after all.even beat the cardigans huns.if it is a case of player power they can go * themselves.should be giving 0% whoever the manager is .maybe a bit unlucky

20. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

Yet none beat us and only Alborg got a draw. We also beat Milan, Man Utd. Juve, Barca etc. at home. None of our wins in Europe were comfortable except against teams like the above mentioned Artmedia.