1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Director of Football

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, May 31, 2021.

Discuss Director of Football in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Well, back in 1981, Fergal promised "It´s going to happen".
    Not sure if he referred to the club being in total meltdown 40 years later...

:56:

2. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I've never known a football club to take such an extraordinarily long time to hire staff.

McKay they were happy to wait until the summer for, still no DoF in despite him starting early, and no closer to a manager position either.

A club like no other indeed.

3. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Let's see, possibility of assistant coach at Barca or the role of "here's a list of targets go see if they are any good" at shambolic Celtic FC.

King of Kings and Twisty like this.
  4. Foley1888

Genuinely what is actually going on here?

Everyday comes to end thinking this can’t get any worse then you wake up and hear we haven’t got a DoF lined up, the manager we wanted isn’t coming, our striking target is Kevin Nisbett. There’s also no rush as wee Shaun Maloney is maybe coming in to do an undefined role at some point.

Any other club would have come out and said last year was a disaster, sorry. That should have been said the moment the title was officially over.

Then a communication saying we are looking to change the structure at the club to move the football club forward. Shortly followed by here’s your Head of that football department, DoF whatever you want to call them.

Then here is the first team coach and they are bringing their backroom team with them.

By now it should have been here’s a couple of signings lined up, probably bosman’s but key players for next year.

What a mess!

5. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Or is the media continuing with as much negative stories as they can get in to try damage all renewals in an attempt to help sevco again?

Conlon likes this.
  6. Foley1888

Well if that’s the case there is only one entity that can solve that and it’s Celtic. Don’t get me wrong I am no fan of the media but we are not helping ourselves here, in fact we are pouring petrol on the fire with the behaviour of those running the club.

7. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I find it strange that Fergal Harkin is unlikely to get the DOF role. He absolutely must be getting it. Everything with regards to the new manager comes from his ties and the city group.

8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Don’t ask questions, legacy fan #72368. You don’t understand the intricacies involved in this.

Every serious suit wearing football man knows these things take time, and us plebs simply don’t appreciate what’s involved. You’ve got to identify a target, interview them (at least a few hours here alone), make them an offer.....so much involved.

We’ll update you in due course when we need your money.

JML67 and StevieBhoooy! like this.
  9. Foley1888

I am done trying to second guess the board at the moment. When football insider was saying Howe ain’t coming I was thinking Football Insider talks pish no chance he will be not coming and here we are.

It is unbelievable, showing my age but the old TV show Dream Team couldn’t make up a story line like this and they had keepers addicted to gambling, a manager throwing games, explosions the lot.

10. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Its not unbelievable to think that the board interviewed Harkin, made note of all his suggestions, then told him the job wasn't for him. Only for them to now do all his suggestions without paying him.

MagicBallBhoy and Lennon1888 like this.
  11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    There is no DoF.

The restructuring and DoF we have all spoken about for months is fan wish and hopes.

It ain't happening the way it should.

At best we will get someone in who is another Hammond or congerton with a different title.

We should be bringing in a DoF, s head coach like maresca (even Postecoglou) along with 8 coaches, Maloney, mjalby, duff all for their obvious specialities (Nae ducking bout of responsibility) and at least 5 more with proven coaching ability.

We should be hiring a head scout and 8 scouts to be assigned specific duties to scour at least all of Europe, but preferably a few more to be keeping an eye in Africa, Asia and America.

We should be hiring our own medical doctor/chief physio, along with 4 assistants to work with the first team alone.

We should be hiring a lead analyst, along with another 4 assistants as well. Two of them focused on the next week's opponent's (be it one or two a week games), another focused on a longer term opponent's to prepare the first two and someone analysing the * out of our own squad.

That's the bare minimum we should be hiring as far as a backroom staff is concerned.
    Bare * minimum.

But we won't, and without any of that in place, there is absolutely no * point to having a director of football.

What would a director of football be doing if he didn't have all that sort of staff implemented?
    Likely attempting to do it himself, of being the middle management between the head coach and lawwell/McKay and basically trying to figure out how to lie to the head coach, in the hope he doesn't walk out on the job.

All of this is what we need, this is what restructuring would look like.

Even if a head coach wanted to being 4 of his own staff in, they should be hired to be added to such a backroom squad, shouldn't be an issue like with Howe.

All of that should have been and could have been done 6 months ago when the board knew they was getting rid of Lennon when they first approached Howe.

The board have left this so * late, they are the ones who have sabotaged next season before the last one had even finished.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    8 scouts isn’t anywhere near enough

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Minimum.

And I mean actual scouts actually employed by the club.

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Still far too little. We had over 50 before Congerton and that doesn’t include club contacts like Lubo etc.

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I reckon we’ll end up with a DoF but it will pretty much just be lip service. Role won’t differ much from what Hammond was already doing but will have the DoF title.

There’s absolutely no appetite to change things from the board, and we’ll pay the price.

Sgt Neppers* and Peej like this.
  16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I've seen this mentioned before and I struggle to believe it.
    Unless folk are including contacts like Lubo.

Not being argumentative, but do we have proof of this? As it's s helluva lot.

17. Mr Hoopy

You get the impression that the board don't have a f×××××× clue what they want never mind how to go about getting it...

Someone i.e. DD needs grow a set of balls and get a grip of the situation before it sets us back YEARS...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  18. wulliebad

* DD,this is his doing,sat there watching us making mistake after mistake playing by HIS rules and guidelines.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Stephen McGowan has an article on it. It doesn’t include just club contacts. Proper scouts, in different areas of the world. Establishing player bases, and ranging from different age groups. You get scouts soley dedicated for getting boys in at 5-8 years old and stuff.

For the type of operation we were running before Congerton it was * essential.

Peej likes this.
  20. Lennon1888

I would not be surprised!