1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Defending corners

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by limezer, Dec 1, 2020.

Discuss Defending corners in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. limezer

Just watched the highlights again of the Ross County game. A man on the post would have prevented the second.
    I was wondering what your thoughts are on defending corners, I feel we are over thinking it. I would love to see us going back to putting men on the post and man marking, keep it simple an basic.
    Could be wrong but to me it looks like we are trying zonal defending and it’s just not working the players look lost and don’t know who’s covering who.
    Goldsons goal against us a prime example.

2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Man-marking please.

Shambles otherwise.

3. DaBomber

I think the best way is a blend of zonal and man marking, you identify their greatest threats (centre halves, big strikers) and put Jullien Ajer Bitton Elhamed etc on them and then you mark zonally across the six yard line to try and counteract players peeling off their markers. We just look at sixes and sevens from set plays right now, players are constantly allowed to run and have free headers and it’s not difficult, lack of concentration or lack of caring?

Marty McFly likes this.
  4. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    It’s not just defending corners it’s set pieces as a whole, where we have some great takers, and our defensive presence should be off the hook with guys the size of Ajer/Duffy/Julien. There is something seriously wrong at the moment in training and going out on the park. Watching Celtic feels like watching Last Chance U where they get pumped twice in a row so just give in for the rest of the season.

As soon as any team get a set play or corner anywhere in our 1/3 I cringe, as any ball causes chaos. I’ve been watching the same mistakes every week, first I blamed the defence but then thought naw it’s not just them, they’ve got their faults but every one of them look clueless, just grab, push and run about like maddies, make an obligatory jump if the ball goes in their general direction, the midfield (where I personally feel is our biggest weakness this year) are just all over the place. Work needs done on the pitch and the training field as it’s absolutely shocking that trained football professionals at this level can’t learn that *.

5. JamesM09

It’s honestly unreal how bad we are at set pieces. Worse than * teams.

I maybe making this up but did Gordon Strachan not go through spells of having weird issues with set pieces, and he used to come out talking about the ‘theory’ of set piece defending like he was some PHD intellectual.

I only mention that because since Gavin Strachan came in we are shocking at them.

I seriously think if you said nothing to the players and just told them to pick a man and attack the ball you’d have more success. It would still be a riot, but slightly less of a riot. The way we are just now is like perfectly engineered for failure.

6. john2061

It's quite simple each Celtic player at a corner should be responsible for a named player before kick off and stand tight next to him .
    * knows what they do at training but it's not working and at the present time it's like giving the other team a penalty when they get a corner because we are so bad at defending them .

7. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We dont defend much so why pick on corners.

High balls into box, breakaways, stupid penalties etc

About the only thing we are not doing in our own box is scoring own goals but give the lads time , I'm sure they can manage a few before the end of the year

8. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Set pieces are a concern. Badly coached in this area, in-fact, badly coached all over.

I personally think Neil has been incredibly lazy with coaching since coming in, allowing us to degrade to this point. Took the players for granted and thought he could coast it.