1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedryck Boyata

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Boom Stick, May 31, 2015.

Discuss Dedryck Boyata in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Aye, seems to think he is a good passer of the ball and more than capable of bringing it out of defence like Van Dijk. :smiley-laughing002:

2. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I haven't written him off all the same. I see potential there because he's a good tackler and solid as * in the air. Maybe we'll see the best of him once he settles alongside Simunovic.

3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Can't see it myself mate. Not under Ronny anyway.

I don't think Ronny is the man to instill in him what he is clearly missing or to protect him and relieve him of the uncomfortable duties he is asking him to perform.

4. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I think boyata can be good, but not as the main centre back, he needs someone composed and organised next to him to allow him to do the simple things (tackling, heading) that he is very good at. His problem comes when he's paired next to a mistake waiting to happen (Ambrose, Blackett)
    Saying all this, if you offered me a new CB in January, I'd snap your hand off, or maybe it's time to put Mulgrew back there, it's easy to forget he had his best season for us as a CB

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2015
  5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Simunovic does look very comfortable on the ball though from what I've seen. So maybe Simunovic can take on the mantle as far as playing out from the back is concerned. He seems to have quite a good strike on him and looks very two-footed so the signs are promising so far in terms of footballing ability for him.

I do share your concerns that Boyata will ever lose his "shitebagness" under Ronny though.

I get the impression that Boyata and Blackett don't realise the size of the club they're at. Blackett is a total irrelevance at this point though. He'll never play for us again.

6. LloydsGamble

Boyata isn't the expressive sort to say the least but it's clear to me he's giving his all and trying his best every game.

I'd be comfortable with Lustig Boyata Simunovic Tierney

What we really need is more leadership, none of them seem like shouters like a Van Dijk or Boruc. Would like to see Gordon take a bit more responsibility organising and talking to his defence

7. Von_Esper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    I think he will be fine once Simunovic gets regular games next to him

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I thought that until he shat it against Molde, bit of bravery needed, close down and get your body infront of that shot for their first

9. cammy07

Kayal did the same thing against atletico, ducked right out the way of the ball and they scored. Probably happens quite often, you'd only ever really pick up on it if the ball ends up in the net.

10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

That might take a while.

11. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Saw him at Tesco in the Forge retail park today :smiley-laughing002:

12. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Was he buying haribos?

13. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Not enough . Needs to improve his football because at the moment he looks nowhere near good enough and has been part of a very leaky defence this season .

14. Wicker Bhoy

I think Boyata will turn out alright once he gets a good ball playing CB beside him which I fully expect Simonuvic to be.

15. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

At the book section ? Buying "football for dummies" I presume :celt_2:

Should have told him Amazon is cheaper

16. Icicle

It can't be easy for him having never played competitive football

17. PEI#1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    While I totally agree that we are all allowed our own opinions on here and that there will be stuff written that you most certainly don't agree with... I feel compelled to respond to your post.

When I heard that there was a chance of getting this guy I went on to youtube, having never heard of him, and checked out his defending and composure on the ball because I was thinking that he was to be a direct replacement for VVD and that Ronny had unearthed a relatively unknown gem for us.

I went to work later that day and spoke to the only other Tim I know here on Prince Edward Island, Canada, and told him I thought the guy couldn't pass the ball worth a * and it seemed that he always did the 5 yard across the pitch type of passes and didn't even always get them right.

I added that that I thought he lacked composure and presence although in some highlights he seemed totally focused and brave enough.

Overall what I watched failed to impress me big time and, given that most of the highlights I viewed were during his '8/9 YEARS spell' at Man City, I was thinking that surely he'd worked on his lack of ability in that area of his game for all the years that he'd been there, basically coming through the ranks and playing/training with top class centre backs and coaches throughout that time.

I now realize that City tried, but failed, to bring this boy on to the level that they needed and, although they gave him a run in the first team when they were very short of fit players, he failed enough to suggest that he was never going to 'make it there'.....he played something like 14 games in 9 years in the first team.

So then we got him.....and he's exactly the same...but maybe Ronny could get that wee bit of something out of him, I thought.

While he's never going to have the Billy McNeil composure and organisational skills.... or the heart and drive of Roy Aitken.....or even the crazy 'defend at all cost' of Bobo Balde in his first season with us....why the * did we bring this guy in? is what I'm asking myself.

He's no where near Celtic class or the class of defender we should be looking at.....you just can't make a silk purse from a sows ear.

18. youngybhoy

spot on.

:shamrock:1

19. youngybhoy

20. UsernameCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The foggy dew
    Isn't he a natural right back? May explain why he has been nothing short of pish in the majority of his matches.