1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing With the Lack of Scott Brown?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Aug 17, 2015.

Discuss Dealing With the Lack of Scott Brown? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. James Gold Member Gold Member

I'd have brought in John Mcginn as a potential long term replacement I rate him as a player still only 20

2. Scotzbhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We don't really have lot of cover in that DM area. Armstrong and Johansen have both filled in there but both are far better further up IMO, we've just loaned out Henderson and Mulgrew continues to divide opinion on his abilities. We've still never really replaced Wanyama, obviously Bitton's come on leaps and bounds in the past year but we still miss that sheer power to bulk up the midfield, and it's even more evident when we don't have Brown's energy breaking up attacks. 3 in CM/DM would be a decent shout, have Commons and Johansen supporting Griffiths. It was the system that got us through to the last 16 of the CL so it clearly has some merit to it.

3. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It just shows the type of player Scott Brown has become for us. We desperately miss him when he's not playing (didn't think I'd ever see myself say that).

Typical of a modern day captain and midfield player.

I reckon the closest person we have to filling the void would be Johansen. It's not his best position, but he has the temperament required to fill the position.

I don't think Armstrong has the same battling qualities, and is better suited to a more advanced role.

Edit: I agree with the John McGinn mention, I thought he would have been a great addition to our squad.

4. gerry_bhoy

Very difficult to find another player with his attributes.

Dreading when he eventually retires, or becomes less effective due to age/injury.

Won't have a player in the same mould but will have to look outwith what we have to replace him. I don't think Henderson is the same type at all, as highly as I rate him.

5. Damnati

The good thing about McGinn is that he is still firmly within our reach. He probably doesn't even have a long term contract. Hopefully he has a good season and we can pick him up next year.

I actually do think that he would be one way to try and fill the void left by Broony, not just long term but also in situations like Saturday.

6. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    What a signing the Skipper's been. Total bargain at 4.4 million from Hibs.

7. gerry_bhoy

John McGinn isn't on our level. We would have been seriously looking at him if he had the potential.

8. doctor venglos

I like John McGinn too. I think he has ready made qualities that could lead us to wanting to sign him soon.He is probably the nearest thing you get to Scott Brown within our price range.

9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Armstrong is the best option to develop towards being a replacement for Brown, but leadership like Brown has now develops over time. I hope Deila's forward thinking mentality recognises this and coaches him suitably.

Bitton is perhaps the most ready made player to do what Brown does, but with less influence over the rest of the team in terms of leadership and organisational ability. His performance in Baku was what we should hope from him in games that Brown doesn't play, regardless of who partners him in the centre of the park.

10. Bangarangura

i keep repeating myself but stephen mallan would be a good long term replacement for brown

11. Damnati

I can only judge him on what I've seen and he has consistently stood out against us. One of the only players I've seen who really tries to go toe to toe with Scott Brown and does an admirable job.

He's only 20 and has more experience than many of our starting line up in terms of games played. I think he still has unfulfilled potential.

12. phreeky

The best replacement/cover would be a defender who has transitioned to midfield. The attacking midfield options are strong, the defensive qualities are lacking however. And the attacking midfielders need to improve and co-ordinate their pressing and win the ball back faster and higher up the park.

13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It's very worrying how poor our midfield is when Brown isn't playing. We need a midfielder who can get in peoples faces and has bags of energy to come in when Brown is unavailable. Is Henderson maybe that sort of player?

14. centenary88

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Collins
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Henderson is very similar to Armstrong and isn't a box to box all action Broony type. We have tried Stefan in there quite a bit and he cant play in there effectively , maybe Ronny intends to mould Allen into that role but what I've seen of him he doesn't have it to play that way.. Broony will be very hard to replace as there is few out there suited to the role with the cavalier style of Broony.

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    That explains Johansen to a T but it doesn't work like that, it's not just getting into peoples faces. It's his defensive positioning, ability on the ball and him leading those around him to a higher level than they naturally seem to play.

I think changing the formation, putting 3 in midfield will cover for the loss of Broony and actually force the others into thinking what they are doing for the game.

16. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We could try and tempt Paul McStay out of retirement.

17. Markybhoy

I'm sure if butch was here he would have some novel ideas on how we could easily replace Brown. He had Brown pegged from Day 1 and could see that he was a donkey who was never going to amount to anything in a Celtic jersey. If only we all had his vision.

"glad i am here, to calm you down, and to have a word in your head, BROWN is crap. as you have just found out, Brown couldn't tell us his boots where hurting, never mind say he has a sore ankle. daftys dont help celtic."

"Bown might run all day as you say but so will a donkey and a carrot, end result run all day."

"YES, Scott Brown yesterdays news, hopeless football player, served a 20 year apprenticeship in the Neil Lennon ,hide and seek champions League, and School of goals. academy"

"there are 2 players in the rangers team davis and naismith 2 players that have as much dig as BROWN AND KAYAL, but with a far better brain, they ride the Brown and Kayal tackles, is that not right but manage to drive there team on, wile our 2 numptys pick up the cards for there diving in like a gull on a bun."

18. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    :56: a gull on a bun

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Are they genuine butch quotes or a parody? He's taken on a legend of his own :56:

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Im guessing genuine