1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

David Turnbull

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by GavCFC1, Aug 27, 2020.

Discuss David Turnbull in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I think that's the difference between a good player and a great player. Work ethic and the willingness to do more on your own accord.

(Not aimed at Turnbull but a broad scope, I can't remember when we last scored from a freekick. When players step up to take them these days I just know it's coming off the wall or blazed over the bar)

Dan Breen likes this.
  2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Questioning Turnbull’s work ethic :giggle1:

Ange has consistently spoken about how much Turnbull gives and how hard he is on himself always looking to improve.

3. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I think you missed my post above your reply. I am well aware the best practice beyond the minimum required by the club, I was saying potentially he may have been told not to for his own good.

4. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Gutted for him, he has been steadily improving since start of the season and his fitness has improved ten fold. Don’t know why folk are so harsh on him, only 22 and only going to get better.

Liam Scales likes this.
  5. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    so many * injuries, this winter break cant arrive soon enough.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  6. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Turnbull’s work ethic is unreal to be honest.

You may only really see it when your at the games cause I’m always impressed by the amount of running he does. Also things like sprinting to take our quick corners as well - he literally doesn’t stop while he’s on the pitch.

Morcombe, Liam Scales and martin_d like this.
  7. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Not for me. Can't tackle, actually pulls out at times. Can't header, again, pulls out, can't run. If it wasn't for his long range goals, I'm struggling to what else he offers in this current style of play.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  8. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Add * at set pieces too.

9. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Long range goals that seems to have escaped him recently
    I really don’t think he’ll be a great loss while out

10. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He is a loss right now, simply because of our limited attacking options. But for me right now, CalM Tam and Bitton would be first choice midfield trio. Would be good to have him fit to bring on for one of these 3.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  11. Dip 'n' Swerve

Yes, I get what you are saying sometimes that is the problem with clubs getting so technical behind the scenes too many cooks and chefs etc... he may still be monitored after this knee injury (3 month reviews etc)

Given that at present and prob the way our injuries have been the last 2 years-ish, I am guesstimating that 75% of players available in the team have been over used and flogged - 3 x games a week for most of the season will add medium to long term injury impacts.

1. Our squad does need enhanced with quality players to compete
    2. Recent signings - ajeti, giakoumakis - they seem more injury prone and blow up after 5-6 games on the trot.
    3. The league in general - how many games in a season do the players play in average compared to england, italy, germany etc - I think Mc Gregor played the most minutes in europe in season or something? Over 2-3 years the players can certainly wreck up more games which may impact stress and strain on the players. The winter break is vital to our season and hopefully we get the win before the winter break kicks in on 2/1/22

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    Liam Scales likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Dave was the major one coming out of the Final. We have had the scan, but we haven’t had the results yet.

“He will definitely be out for St Mirren, but I’m not sure how long he will miss.

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

One thing he can't be criticised for is his work rate. Runs his * off every game.

Dan Breen and eire4 like this.
  15. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Any word on how long he will be out for?

16. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Would be good news if this happens. Still a ways to go particularly from a consistency standpoint but a good player already for us that could become a really top player. No word yet on his injury status?
    Hopefully its nothing serious and he at least is back and 100% when we return from the winter break although I assume he is out for Sunday.

17. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Actually makes sense to offer him a new deal, he has done enough to deserve it, unlike both Bain and Taylor. Did Bain get a new deal or was it just speculation?

18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    As far as I know Bain got a one year extension added to his contract which would have ended at the end of this current season. So next summer he will be entering the final year of his current Celtic contract.

Dan Breen likes this.
  19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic attacker David Turnbull looks set to be sidelined for at least the next two months as a result of the hamstring issue that forced him off during the club’s League Cup final success on December 19.

The midfielder was left distressed as he received treatment on the pitch in the 27th minute of the Hampden decider, before television images captured him in floods of tears as he sat on the bench after being replaced by Nir Bitton. Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou put the strain sustained down to fatigue, stating the 22-year-old had “suffered from the amount of games we are playing at the moment … we have suffered because we have not been able to rotate”. Now, it has emerged that Turnbull’s suffering may not be short-term with the injury understood to be of sufficient severity to require an extended period on the sidelines.

The minimum two-month timescale would count Turnbull out of the rescheduled table-topping hosting of Rangers for Postecoglou’s side on February 2, and the Conference League encounters to determine the full line-up for the last 16 stage of the new competition. These will see Celtic entertain Swedish league leaders Bodo/Glimt on February 17, before contesting the Scandinavian return leg a week later.

Only seven players in world football had played more competitive minutes than Turnbull when he was sidelined at Hampden. At that stage, the £3.5million signing from Motherwell in the summer of 2020 was the only member of Celtic’s squad to have featured in every one of the 34 competitive games the club had then played. A run that claimed him nine goals and seven assists and resulted in him packing in 2,840 minutes on the pitch since July.

Postecoglou has leaned heavily on Tom Rogic and Turnbull for his team’s creativity core. He will hope the reinforcements planned for the January transfer window can offset the loss of one of his integral performers for a testing run of fixtures. A sequence that, before the end of February, will take Celtic to Tynecastle, Fir Park, Pittodrie and Easter Road, in addition to a pivotal derby and European and Scottish Cup assignments.

tarboltontim likes this.