1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

David Moyes

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by superleigh, Mar 15, 2016.

Discuss David Moyes in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. superleigh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
  2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Gonna be a lovely summer I see.

Just to play along... Would anyone be game for moyes in charge, sack Collins and kennedy and bring lennon and deila in as joint no2?

Then go seek out a quality/experienced striking coach?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

3. This Charming Man

I'd love Moyes at Celtic.

4. Markybhoy

No thanks. Would rather have Neil Lennon back.

5. Wolf

Don't rate Moyes at all and he plays pig ugly football.

6. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    :smiley-laughing002: anyone who wouldn't welcome Moyes are either talking *, or clueless!

7. superleigh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Moyes would be sensational appointment

8. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    This for me. Former player who knows the club well. Done a great job at Preston and Everton. Has managed possibly the world's biggest club in man utd and also now has experience in la liga. He has a major point to prove now. Why would he not be a great option for us? Could not agree with paddy more.

9. JamesM09

If he came here, he may well do a very good job, but he wouldn't be the first manager to be very successful at only one club and struggle everywhere else.

My biggest worry is he couldn't cope with the pressure at a club like Celtic. He looked lost at Man Utd. As tough as the Everton job was, there wasn't anywhere near as much pressure.

He might just be a safe mid-table EPL manager, which is not what Celtic need.

10. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    Never struggled at Preston and Everton, and the fact he was handpicked for the Man United job says it all!, and the fact he did better than Van Gaal with a lot less money says it all... United were a sinking ship.

11. Green And White

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youl never walk alone.
    Why anyone wouldn't want Moyes is baffling. This * about how he has only done well at one club, well so has Lennon.

I'd take Moyes in a heartbeat.

12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Yes please :50:

13. Minimalist

He is good at working with a small budget, perfect Yes man for the Board.

14. JamesM09

Aye that's what I'm saying. He's done well at Everton but been poor since. Fair enough he also done well at Preston.. I don't know anything about his time there, although it was a very long time ago. More recently he was poor in La Liga.

Man United were Champions when he took over. They were about to decline, but as far as 7th? Sorry but that's on him. Like I said, he did look completely lost at times.

He might have done better than Van Gaal but he's another guy I wouldn't want at Celtic as manager for similar reasons. :smiley-laughing002::50:

Fair enough Ferguson hand-picked him, but Ferguson obviously got it very wrong.

I'm not saying he's a bad manager, I'm just saying from what I can see he's a good mid-table EPL manager, perhaps only suited to that environment.

A (very) quick glance at some stats from his time at Everton and I see nothing special in Europe, nothing special in the cups and regular decent finished in the EPL (Correct me if I'm wrong).

That type of manager might do very well at Celtic, but I'm not convinced it's a certainty at all.

15. JamesM09

Aye, but that club is THIS club :smiley-laughing002::smiley-laughing002::smiley-laughing002:

16. Green And White

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youl never walk alone.
    So? Moyes did well at Everton and was hand picked for the United job.

I'd take either back but if I could pick it would be Moyes.

17. Celtic_renard News Writer News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Patrick Roberts
    The good thing about appointing Moyes would be that we would be guaranteed to spend money. He wouldn't come without a decent budget to spend.

18. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'd * myself daft if we appointed Moyes

19. JamesM09

Why do people keep saying he was handpicked for the United job as a positive argument? That argument only works if he didn't fail miserably in the job he was hand picked for :smiley-laughing002:

The "one club" argument is that a manager might only be suited to certain environments and conditions. It's usually self-evident. For example, Mourinho probably wouldn't have done a good job at Villa this season, but Tony Pulis would've probably kept them up. Similarly, Tony Pulis wouldn't have won the Champions League at Porto or Inter.

Keeping that in mind, I'm saying the Everton job - which was pretty consistent during Moyes's time, i.e. just stay mid-table EPL - evidently suited Moyes and his ability. I would argue the Celtic job is quite different and the environment is probably closer to the Man Utd job, which evidently didn't suit Moyes.

Similarly, Lennon MIGHT only be a one-club manager, suitable to ONLY the circumstances at Celtic. Fortunately, we ARE Celtic and therefore this is not a problem. Simply.. Lennon has shown he can do it here.

I'm not saying Moyes will definitely do poorly here, I'm just saying there's enough that we should be careful and explore more options. The way some people are trying to bite his hand off (even before it's offered) you'd think he was Martin O'Neill.

20. Markybhoy

It's not a case of not welcoming him, it's more like his appointment wouldn't excite me. I'm sure he'd be a successful Celtic manager but I'm also pretty sure the football would be pish to watch. I had enough of that when Gordon Strachan was here.

If our three potential options for the manager position next season are Davie Moyes, Neil Lennon and Ronny Deila then I'd go.........

Neil Lennon
    Davie Moyes
    Ronny Deila