1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Criticism of Peter Lawwell.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by lion67, May 27, 2014.

Discuss Criticism of Peter Lawwell. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Total non story, all helps build the siege mentality they are striving for..

There's a lot of desperation in the SMM, and it will get worse as we approach the 10.. it doesn't warrant a response.

freitassen and Twisty like this.
  2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Agree with that. We should not let snakes like Peat control the conversation and spin it to make us look bitter though.

The dates for the league were set out at the start of the season and Rangers didn't voice any grievance. The league also allowed them to postpone a game against Gretna to prepare for a UCL game v Lyon and also extended the league by 4 days for their benefit.

That's before you even broach the subject that Campbell Ogilvie took office at the SFA in June 2007 and failed to report his knowledge (and personal receipt) of dual contracts being operated at Ibrox.

We could absolutely bury these * and yet we're sitting silently letting these charlatans control the narrative.

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I disagree mate.

The silence from Lawwell on the board all throughout this farce and their reluctance to support Resolution 12 was infuriating.

It's time to get the gloves off and put these characters back in their box. Dignified silence hasn't worked.

4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

This story isn't a a story tho.

5. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I wouldn't be overly bothered about this peat *. I would much prefer him to question the likes of the dallas fiasco last week and refs in general. We have been silent on this issue for to long while the monkeys highlight anything goes against them while getting away with kicking and stamping opposition off the ball.

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Accusing our CEO of "requesting not to help Rangers in any way" is a story in my eyes. It implies we're small-minded and bitter. I highly doubt that's how the conversation went in any case. I imagine Lawwell simply put it across that a club should not get preferential treatment over others.

Saying nothing allows them to continue controlling the narrative of the situation. Why pass up the opportunity to set the record straight and bury them?

KRS-1888 likes this.
  7. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    According to peat, the then sfa chairman some nameless club chairman told him not to help the Huns by extending the season.
    Surely that would fall into the remit of the then SPF chairman Lex Gould.
    So why wouldn't the mystery chairman demand that of Gould ?.
    But anyway, presuming it was Peter Lawell, we were chasing the title that year, so who in there right mind is going to think that we should help the opposition to gain an advantage over us. ?

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, it was within the SPFL's remit but the SFA looked at pushing back the Scottish Cup Final. There was a decent article this morning in the Scotsman about it:

"It can be curious how time plays tricks on the memory. It certainly was decidedly strange how elliptical the recollections of former SFA president George Peat proved this week. It is wearying for those not of a Rangers/Celtic disposition to have the events at the conclusion of the 2007-08 domestic season revisited. A denouement that brought Gordon Strachan’s side a dramatic third successive title triumph that had everything to do with the 
fixture pile-up created in large part – though, crucially, not entirely – by the Ibrox side’s remarkable run to the Uefa Cup final as they also battled through to the Scottish Cup showpiece at Hampden.

It was a turn of events that, at the time, and forever since, has given way to rehearsed, and often specious, arguments and recriminations. Why Peat chose to get bogged down in the period and bring it back into the public domain during a BBC Scotland Sportsound interview this week only he can answer. But having had the poor grace to do so, he allowed the myths that have grown up around what happened to be given another ill-deserved 
airing.

Asked about his biggest regrets from his four years in the presidency from 2007, Peat said that there were certain things and “one in particular disappointed me”. He went on: “I remember when Rangers got to the final in Manchester. I got a phone call from a prominent chairman of a club requesting me not to help Rangers in any way. And it so happened that I had already had a meeting with Lex Gold [chairman] at the SPL because what we were willing to do was to extend the season because of the fixture pile-up that Rangers had and I was most disappointed when I got back to the office to receive this call to ask me not to help them in any way. That really stuck in my throat.”

It sticks in the throat that Peat should bring the matter up in a potentially misleading way. For one, it was the SPL and not the SFA whose role it was to schedule league fixtures – and Rangers had two games outstanding as the season reached its end. The idea that nothing was done to help the Ibrox side over the challenges this brought is plain wrong. The SPL extended the league season by four days, with the final games played on Thursday 22 May, instead of the previous Sunday. Rangers' Christian Dailly is a picture of dejection after defeat at Aberdeen saw the Ibrox side miss out on the title in May 2008.

Undeniably, Rangers were running on empty by that night, evidenced by a limp loss at Aberdeen as Celtic clinched the championship by beating Dundee United away. It was a fourth game in 11 days for Walter Smith’s men, and their 17th in a seven-and-a-half week spell. Of course, Rangers wanted the season further extended. They would hardly have felt otherwise considering they had to regroup following the Uefa Cup final loss to Zenit St Petersburg on 14 May, and play rearranged league fixtures with Motherwell on 17 May, then 
St Mirren on 19 May before their trip to Pittodrie. Peat apparently floated the idea of pushing back the Scottish Cup final from 24 May, in order that Rangers could still be playing league games at that stage. This was a non-starter on two fronts. Queen of the South, their opponents at Hampden, already had the disadvantage of twiddling their thumbs for four weeks before taking on Rangers owing to the First Division finishing in April. And any further delay in the completion of the SPL league season would have meant a host of clubs in the top flight kicking their heels waiting for Rangers to catch up with them.

The 2007-08 season is the only one in the history of Scottish football to be extended over the inability of one club to fulfil their fixtures. And if Rangers supporters want to direct their ire towards anyone for that fact, perhaps they might want to consider Peat’s part in it. The SFA asked the SPL to postpone Rangers’ trip to St Mirren and Celtic’s hosting of Falkirk on the weekend before Scotland’s decisive Euro 2008 qualifying match against Italy at Hampden on 17 November. That was the same Love Street fixture that Rangers ended up being unable to play until 14 May. As of that November, a free midweek emerged in the middle of January and Smith’s side might have been able to play it then. But that was given over to a re-arranged encounter against Gretna at Fir Park that Rangers had asked to be moved from 8 December in order that they could have more time to prepare for a decisive Champions League encounter at home to Lyon.

The decision to postpone the new year derby meeting with Celtic following the death of Phil O’Donnell brought Rangers another outstanding fixture. The SPL requested that the SFA consider cancelling a 
Scotland get-together on 5-6 February, but it appears that Peat and his cohorts weren’t receptive to 
the idea. It wasn’t until 27 April that derby could eventually be fitted in. That wasn’t strictly to do with the succession of Uefa Cup midweeks Smith’s men racked up through progressing in the tournament. Rangers lost three more to an 
SFA tournament: the first of these the result of poor drainage at Ibrox that forced the postponement of their Scottish Cup tie at home to East Stirlingshire on 13 January; the second the result of a Firhill replay being required to see off Partick Thistle in the fourth round, while the third was their quarter-final against Hibernian which also required a replay. Ultimately, though, it is hellish if reaching the Uefa Cup final and pushing on in the cup means you have to play 18 games in eight weeks, and four in the league across little over a week. Yeah, it was tough on Middlesbrough when dealing with that schedule in 2006. Not that anyone then in the FA would ever think to speak gravely about it now."

9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

For me its Peat that comes across as small minded and bitter . But aye I take your point mate.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  10. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I don’t actually think it was Lawwell who phoned Peat, the phone call was apparently from John Reid.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  11. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

The article that you posted from the Scotsman shows who was in the right and highlights the contribution peat made towards it all. Right now he is the one who looks like the * in all this and he created it all himself.
    So all we need to do is cite that article and confirm it was us, assuming it was, then simply sit back and watch the rage :56:

12. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Could it be there is a bit of * being buried at the filth pit and that’s why the spotlight is on us. EBTs and dishonest dealings. Winding up to avoid paying debts and getting absolutely * shagged by Green and Whyte. And they just wanted to highlight petty * everywhere but where the story was. Scottish media. All running to radio because they know the papers are going to the wall. Jabba controls all that sport news etc.

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Another orange * at the top table sickened to this day that his club died..

Giuy :56:

14. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    * looks deid himself. :84:

McChiellini.. likes this.
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Really? So the chairman of the SFA in one of the most contentious times ever in Scottish football, a time that we failed to qualify for 2 tournaments, a time where they let Rangers into Europe despite them not having the proper paperwork in place, at a time that didn’t pick up on a club using illegal payments and fielding illegible players despite one of their own having been a recipetent of thay very same scheme in his buddy Ogilvie...

At one of the most tumultous times in Scottish Football history, his biggest regret is a club not wanting him to help Rangers win the league.

Despite them being allowed to already postpone a game that season.

That’s a story for me. Highlights the corruption in Scottish football.

Xatraps, Seán Mac D, Taz and 4 others like this.
  16. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    What a thick * Peat must be.......i hope we have the nuts to call him out by agreeing with him and filling in the gaps for him.........and while we're at it saying we'd do the same again as a matter of principle!!!.....don't remember many favours coming our way for Seville......Dundee before it???......i was at it but can't reemember if that was that pulled forward with no damage to the rest of the league fixtures?? Certainly wasn't extended that year!!

Roaster of a guy!!.....looks like he'd be at the front of every walk going!!!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Fair enough..

18. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Wee Strachan gave it the short shrift today, basically saying all the monkeys had to do was draw one of the games against us at Parkhead. He then rightly pointed out we had bigger issues dealing with Tommy’s death than worrying about that mob.

Taz and Liam Scales like this.
  19. oh bhoy

* has reduced us to having Jack hendry and Boyata as our cb pairing .pete and his * strategy of wage caps and spending * all and selling any decent player we find in the bargin bin within 2years doesn't work .* has wasted millions after millions on * players instead of paying a bit more for quality or to tie down the quality we already have

freitassen and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  20. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony