1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Criticism of Peter Lawwell.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by lion67, May 27, 2014.

Discuss Criticism of Peter Lawwell. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. lion67

In almost every thread I read I notice that PL has been brought up in a negative context. I personally believe he has done a great job at Celtic, I am curious of the reasons people have a problem with the job he is doing.

What direction should the club be heading?
    What stance should the club take with our top players?

I'm looking for a genuine alternative to the way we are being run at the moment.

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Doesn't matter who is in Lawwell's position, they will NEVER please all Celtic fans all of the time. It is 2nd only to the Manager's job in terms of microscopic criticism.

3. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    People need someone to point the finger at if things go wrong, he tends to be first in the firing line due to his position at the club. I think most fans acknowledge the good he's brought to Celtic business wise though.

4. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    He's good but he isn't immune to criticism. I feel he is left off with far too much, just because we are financially stable - great, you get paid £1m a year for that Peter.

Sometimes there will be a clash of ideas between fans and chairman, it happens. I just think Peter plays it too safe, all of the time.

5. liammcdowell

Where the climate is raw and the gun makes the law
    Fav Celtic Player:
    KT63
    He commands a salary higher than the majority of our first team and his constant downsizing and demonising of our fans is tearing out club apart.

I want him out as priority number one at Celtic.

bhoy81 likes this.
  6. SpellCheck92

Some people just want an excuse to moan.

If something goes wrong at the club Peter Lawwell is the scapegoal. Simple as that. Some people just have contempt for people at the top of the food chain.

7. Dáibhí

I think Lawwell takes a lot of unjust criticism when you consider the fact that everything he does is okayed by our majority shareholder, Dermot Desmond.

When Lawwell tells Neil Lennon that he has 50p & a curly wurly to spend in the summer, who's deciding that figure? is it Lawwell? Or Desmond?

It's also worth remembering that our majority shareholder is worth €1.3 billion.

If he wanted to add an extra £5 million to the transfer budget, and an extra couple of hundred grand to the wage budget he could do so without much problem. He'd earn that kind of money back in quick time.

He doesn't though. But he's the guy who always has fans wanting photos with him when he's at one of our European games, and who everyone thinks is a swell guy (maybe it's because he looks so Irish. He's the spitting image of my late grandfather truth be told).

Lawwell deserves a lot of the criticism, that's for sure, but he takes more than his fair share in my opinion.

If Desmond told him to open the bank book and add more funds to the team he would have to do it, right? Well, the same works in reverse.

8. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I don't like the way he has control over everything and would agree he plays it safe a lot. No denying that he's got us in good shape financially but ever since he came in we have been gradually downsizing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

9. Higgie

It's quite obvious why a lot fans take an immediate disliking towards him.

10. Dáibhí

Is the downsizing down to him though? Or is he being given instructions from further up the food chain?

I'm not sure he'd be mandated to make those kinds of decisions on his own.

11. made in ireland

I would like to see the back of him.

12. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    see tbh though downsizing was necessary from the transfer fees and wages we were paying in the O'Neill days. The nature of the game in Scotland means we simply can't afford to pay that kind of money any more, it's frustrating for the fans obviously but it had to be done.

13. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    Your right he must have been given instructions from the board. I don't know, it's just soul destroying seeing our great club reduced to what it is becoming. We are a selling club now and we aren't even in the running for half decent players maybe not Lawwells fault but people do see that we started going downhill when he came.

I also think a lot of people blame him for the spin and misinformation that comes out of Parkhead. The prices of merchandise, tickets and food are really expensive. I find that a lot of people think that the club often take advantage of fans loyalty.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

14. Dáibhí

Yeah, Peter Lawwell is the face of the PLC, that's for sure, but we also have a board of directors that all have a say in how the club is run;

Ian P. Bankier
    Thomas E. Allison
    Dermot F. Desmond
    Brian Duffy
    Lord Livingston of Parkhead
    Peter T. Lawwell
    Eric J. Riley
    Brian Wilson

I'm sure each of these guys, albeit to varying degrees, have a say in how the club is run.

15. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    In this case the PL should not get all the credit for our profits. As is he gets plaudits for financial success therefore he will take the blame for the negative aspects.

16. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He is an excellent businessman ...... and we will be hard pushed to find someone better to replace him.

However, he should have zero input on releasing statements about the Fans etc. He should be strictly in the finance and marketing dept of our club.

There is a saying 'the customer is king' ( and they see us as customers not fans) but not at Celtic park he isn't. Where else would you employ stewards and pay police to mistreat your own customer base.

Here's a deal for you peter... how about donating a fiver every time there is a complaint made by our fans about treatment at football matches involving our team?
    you could donate to FAC as you say you don't agree with the bill BUT so far we have seen very little evidence of this from you ......... you are more than welcome to attend FAC events.

If Celtic FC want to put out statements about our fans then appoint a fans representative ( nominated by supporters ) on the payroll with a free reign over statements.... will never happen because you want your corporate image out there and not the heartbeat of our club

and stay the * out of team affairs / signing decisions.... that should be for the manager and the player / agent.

IF you support the fans and back them 100% then you will find that it will be reciprocated to you and the board. We are a knowledgable support in the main and understand our financial reality ....... but stop buying works in progress while we don't have the finished articles in the team.

ps he does fantastic considering all the other jobs he has - managing Opus Dei, running Scottish football, acting as liaison officer between the pope and HMRC, working the unseen * hand 24/7, controlling Glasgow City council and running the co op bank from afar... he is one * of a busy guy and the whole world needs a strong Peter Lawwell

17. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

He does his job well, but a club our size needs to show more ambition.

18. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    True, it seems Desmond lost interest (entirely) a while back. After it became apparent we were never entering the EPL, it seemed he lost any interest and willingness to invest decent sums of money.

Although, I do know it isn't his job to - I'm just saying he can.

19. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Pretty much sums it up for me. Showing plenty ambition to develop the "product" off the park, just wish he would show a similar interest in doing so on it.

20. ulsterscot

Daibi how exactly can Dermot Desmond fund £5 million new player and pay his excess wages. Would he take a bigger share option of the club making him an even more dominant % share owner of Celtic . Would that be a good thing for Celtic in the long run ? Or should he lend the money to the club, even at attractive interest rates, Celtic would still have to repay it , or they would be breaching Company Law .
    Maybe you know another simple legal way ?