1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus discussion - No conspiracy chat

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by MickeyyyMack, Jan 23, 2020.

Discuss Coronavirus discussion - No conspiracy chat in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bunk Moreland

First off I said nothing like that, you're putting words in my mouth :56:

Secondly go read for yourself:

"Two strains of the virus have caused outbreaks of severe respiratory diseases in humans: SARS-CoV (or SARS-CoV-1), which caused an outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) between 2002 and 2003, and SARS-CoV-2, which caused the 2019–20 pandemic of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_acute_respiratory_syndrome-related_coronavirus

2. Bunk Moreland

:56:

3. El Capitan Gold Member Gold Member

That's what you said.

4. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Not watched or listened to the News today. Will do early evening.
    Did have a long chat on phone with my eldest sister,we talked in total detail,I almost had a panic attack as such then the regrouped back into this Surreal reality.

5. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    It seems to me the medical proffession have had too much say in the descision to have this lockdown.
    Doctors and nurses ect have a blinkered and non systemic view. And normally it is 100% correct that they should have.
    The one aim of the medical proffesion is to preserve life. If a disabled person is in need of medical attention, the doctors and nurses etc do not normallyconcern themselves with the quality of life that person may have. They simply and quite righly devote their attention to saving that persons life.
    In the current situation the lockdown even in it's half arsed form may save lifes. But at what cost?
    This isn't a question for the medical proffesion to answer. This is a question for the politicians to answer.
    Because our NHS has been so badly under funded, and because the politians were so slow to react, we now have no option but to accept a short lockdown in order to get better prepared for dealing with this virus, and to be able to live with it whilst carrying on as normal as possible.
    Talk of the lockdown going on until June or later, and possibly getting more severe scares me.
    The longer this lockdown continues the more chance there is, that the benefits will be far outweighed by the costs.
    In my opinion in the next week or so the politicians must step up to the plate and give a date for the lockdown to end.
    What is the point in saving people from Covid only to have them die from poverty.
    Also as the lockdown goes on more and more people will suffer mental health issues.
    Support the medical proffession as much as we can, but let people lead normal lives and let the virus run it's course.

6. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    going down that route condemns, what ? 500,000-1,000,000 to a pointless death ?
    and for what purpose ?
    money, the economy ?
    1/3 off the planet are going down the lockdown route and the majority off the rest fill soon follow.
    maybe, just maybe they're right and your wrong !!!

7. angusceltic67

Elitist rag couldn't be more blatant.

8. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    Firstly it's not a pointless death, it may be an earlier death, but we have to consider that at some stage the cure might kill more people than the illness.
    The NHS have been badly let down, so by all means go into lockdown. Buy them time to prepare, give them a fighting chance.
    But eventualy we have to say that life- or unfotunately death- must go on

9. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Lynch lol
    Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    So someone decides who can live and who can die based on economics?

It's a bit harsh mate.

10. Bunk Moreland

"Your point was that since SARS 1 was around in humans in 2003 that its been established and spreading worldwide like the common flu since - and that it suddenly mutated in us. It hasn't. This has been transmitting in humans since December"

I said absolutely nothing of the sort.

SARS comes from SARS-like coronavirus WIV1, a virus found in bats, when it jumps from species to species it has to mutate slightly, in the case of SARS-CoV it went from bat to civet cat to human, in the case of SARS-CoV-2 it went from bat to pangolin to human that's why there's a 10% difference in its genome. The virus has always been there, it just couldn't infect humans since the first strain died out in 2004 and had to find an other intermediary carrier (pangolins) before it could mutate and infect us again.

11. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    No we reach a stage where we accept that the cure is causing more harm than the illness. And that has to be a political descision, not a medical one.

12. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    According to the official figures 0.009% of the population have contraced Covid and 0.0004% of the population have died from it. Mostly people with other conditions who would have died shortly anyway.
    Yet about 50% of the population are under lockdown.
    I appreciate that the official figures may be understated, and that the figures will increase. However the response is disproportionate.

13. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Old Boris and his Health Minister with their positive tests, mild ones too, with not even a hint of a sweated brow or cough after babbling away for minutes.

Surprisingly close to the impending explosion, so they'll be isolating, out of sight, so they ain't in the firing line.

14. StevieBhoooy!

Hasn’t the new legislation given doctors that power? And without future recourse in terms of legal accountability.

15. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    1st of all, it's not a pointless death, it's deaths, 500,000 off them and it is not pointless. so old people who built this country and brought you into this world and nurtured you, taught you, fed you, clothed you should just take their chances so, by your thinking, you can get back to normal ?
    i don't f*cking think so....

seamus1967 likes this.
  16. StevieBhoooy!

It’s noticeable how the Downing Street reports have gone from BoJo, health sec, chief medic ..... through Home Secretary, health minister etc.....

Now we’ve got the deputy health woman, and a bloke from ‘housing’.

Are they all progressively getting symptoms?

or just getting out the firing line one by one?

I fully expect to tune in and see the Number 10 janitor, copper from the front door and the Downing Street cat doing the updates by mid-week.

dbhoy72, tarboltontim and seamus1967 like this.
  17. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Lynch lol
    Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    Perhaps look at your statistics again in 2 weeks time.

At the moment there are so many unknowns about this virus. There are huge question marks about the validity of much of the numbers.

We still don't know for sure if the virus can reinfect or if it can lay dormant in it's host. It's infection rate is still heavily debated.

We have no reliable way of assessing the impact of the cure until we understand the pathogen. And we are a long way off that yet. Fingers crossed it doesn't form a new strain in the meantime.

Personally I'd rather not have a politician deciding if my dad lives or dies.

18. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    So how much carnage are you prepared to accept in order to allow seriously ill people to live an extra few weeks?
    I'm diabetic aproaching 60, however I'd still rather take my chances with the virus than agree to a long term lockdown

19. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    If in two weeks the figures have increased by a factor of 10. Then we'll see 0.09% infection rate and 0.004% death rate.
    I haven't suggested that polititians decide wether or not your dad dies. I have suggested that they decide wether or not your dad or you or many other people have a life that's worth living.

20. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Lynch lol
    Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    Fairly sure my dad and other people can decide that for themselves.