1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus discussion - No conspiracy chat

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by MickeyyyMack, Jan 23, 2020.

Discuss Coronavirus discussion - No conspiracy chat in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I seen a snippet yesterday that three builders had been fined and the site closed in Paisley but it seems to have disappeared or now not being reported. It was a media release from the police.

This is a big thing as it's a complete contradiction between London legislation and scottish guidance.

If anyone finds the story please let me know as it seems to have just gone!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  2. Tim-Time 1888 Winner UEFA Champs League Last 16 prediction comp Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    We can all get duped mate, my problem/the problem is with the ones that are getting 'duped' regularly... Being a cynic myself that makes me convinced they know what they are doing given how regular it happens.

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  3. Twisty 9 in a row Gold Member

Does anybody believe the UK government have handled this well ?

Astounded that people are praising that buffoon of a pm over the way he's dealt with it. Everybody coming in from China should have been in quarantine for at least a few weeks at the very start of this outbreak and then people coming in from the countries where cases were reported. Fs, there's still folk arriving from Italy and Spain being told to self isolate. Too much trust is being put in people.

Keano88 and Sonic Reducer like this.
  4. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    Everytime I come onto this thread I think
    " what fresh horrors awaits me today ? "
    :43:

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  5. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    I think you've got to believe that it was impossible to ever stop the virus completely coming in, so when you take that into account the actions and the timing of the step by step lockdown has been pretty smart.
    Also this partial lockdown will be soon ramped up in the next few days.
    But the only criticism I can lob at the government is the lack of preparations with the amount or lack off, equipment needed by the NHS, also the time it's took to get the testing up and running

6. HoopyT

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    proof of figures... you should maybe realise then that the figures of COVID-19 infection are only the people that have been tested.. ffs there are multiples of the 600k infected worldwide that have never been tested ya nutter. Stop yer pish, it's getting old now.

7. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    At the start of WW2 we managed to give the population gas masks. Yet we couldn't provide the public with much simpler face masks.
    Also we should have started planning the ventilators and Covid hospitals in Jan and had them up and running when the first case was diagnosed.
    Woefully under prepared.

Sonic Reducer likes this.
  8. Twisty 9 in a row Gold Member

They could have at least tried at the start. They totally underestimated it in the beginning and it's starting to show.

Who knows where this ends and with how many lives lost.

9. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    this is because we have little manufacturing left in this country.
    just about everything we need we have to import

10. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    true, we were slow to get everything in place before this hit us

11. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Anyone who thinks the UK or Irish Government have acted responsibly in relation to this virus - needs their head checked.

Clint Eastwood likes this.
  12. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    what else could they have done ?

13. honda

Nothing. Whatever the government do wont be good enough for some anyway

14. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

They should have shut the whole place down about 4 weeks ago.
    But yet they still haven't done it.

trackebhoy and Jo-Jo-Buffon like this.
  15. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Whatever floats your boat pal.

16. honda

True. Wow 4 weeks ago. If they done that it still wouldn't be enough for you. No pleasing anyone.

17. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Ok Boris.

Yeah 4 weeks ago - what would have been the problem with that ?
    They still haven't shut the place down ffs.

18. StevieBhoooy!

I think only when we’re out if it ... and maybe years down the line ... when the data to fuel genuine statistics is known .... it may become clear what tactics worked where and why ... as well as where not and why not.

There have been so many different approaches to this by governments and makeup of populTion will be important (age demographic, density, existing health, etc etc)
    Not to mention honest reporting, recording , declaring of cases .... and effectiveness of those in different countries.

China tried to conceal scale, went hardline eventually and look to be winning.
    Singapore went hardline and with success.
    S Korea went techno. and is a definite success.
    Japan similar and getting back on feet.
    Russia - anomalous so far.
    Germany - getting there
    Switzerland - apparent v low fatality % - ???
    Italy and Spain - savaged, slow initially before going to heavy restrictions
    USA - patchy and variable state to state, New York (like London) a hotspot (population density)

UK - ???!! Are we just 14 days behind Italy ? Or will our ‘individual factors’ come into play?

Sweden is an interesting one - very moderate measures but public being very careful. Population demographics could be important.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52076293

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  19. angusceltic67

20. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    The government response was slow, cumbersome and vague.

We had the advantage of effectively being able to see this coming as it spread across mainland Europe. We sat and watched the chaos unfold while Johnson gave vague instructions about what we should and shouldn’t do rather than what we could and couldn’t do. We then introduced a vague suggestion that public spaces such as pubs, restaurants, gyms and theatres should be closed, but gave everyone just enough time to have one last Friday night * up. Dunkirk spirit and all that. Show the virus who’s boss.

Prior to that, about a day before postponing all football, we allowed thousands of fans from across Europe to visit, get together in pubs and restaurants then fill a stadium. Actually, the government gets no credit for that whatsoever, because the footballing authorities took it upon themselves to postpone the game. Just consider that for a second. They ignored the authority of the UK government and took their own (correct) measures to protect people.

But we’ll be locked down for 12 weeks, or the best part of a year, while 20,000 die, or 200,000, or 500,000. Meanwhile we can still go to pubs, clubs and restaurants but shouldn’t. Until that changed. And you should exercise away from others. But not use your car to get there. Alrighty then.

Wether or not other governments would’ve done better is more difficult to answer, but I’m failing to see what exactly the UK government have done well thus far, besides the wage support. Hearing Corbyn say that he was ‘proven right’ about his own plans was quite grotesque in all honesty, so I have very little faith that things would’ve been better if he had won the election.