Coronavirus discussion - No conspiracy chat

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by MickeyyyMack, Jan 23, 2020.

Discuss Coronavirus discussion - No conspiracy chat in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MickeyyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    dying Rebel
    Four people are being tested for Chinese coronavirus at hospitals in Scotland.

Three patients are in Edinburgh while a fourth is in Glasgow.

Professor Jurgen Haas, the head of infection medicine at Edinburgh University, told the Press Association: “We have currently three cases suspected Wuhan coronavirus in Edinburgh and as far as I understand one case in Glasgow.”

He said the cases emerged overnight, adding: “The situation will be pretty similar in pretty much all UK cities with a large number of Chinese students.
    “It’s not too surprising. My suspicious is that there will probably be many more cases in many other cities in the UK.

“None of the cases I know of have been confirmed.”

The patients have recently travelled to Scotland from China and are believed to have been in the city of Wuhan, where the disease is believed to be emanated. Its airport connects to 60 international destinations.

Coronavirus has claimed 17 lives and more than 500 people have been affected around the world.
    First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said the Scottish Government is “closely monitoring” the spread of the virus.

She was asked at FMQs by SNP MSP Kenneth Gibson about the steps being taken to ensure the safety of Scots.

Sturgeon said: “I can assure Kenny Gibson and indeed the chamber that, together with Health Protection Scotland, we are very closely monitoring what is a very rapidly evolving situation.

“I should say, that the risk to the public here in Scotland – and indeed the UK – is currently classified as low but that is kept under review.

“Health Protection Scotland are liaising with NHS boards and are currently in daily contact with Public Health England, we’re also liaising daily with colleagues in the UK Department of Health – we’re also paying very close attention to the advice and the decisions that come from the World Health Organisation.”

She added: “Advanced monitoring measures are being put in place for flights between Wuhan City and Heathrow, that will involve each flight being met by a port health team who will check for coronavirus and provide information to all passengers.

“We’re currently considering whether there is any further information that could be provided at Scottish airports.

“This is an evolving situation which we will monitor extremely closely and the Health Secretary and I will make sure that Parliament is updated in the days and weeks to come.”

The Chinese Government has effectively “locked down” Wuhan, with planes and trains being cancelled, along with the nearby city of Huangg

tarboltontim likes this.
  2. MickeyyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    dying Rebel
    The article is quite misleading and seems as if they are playing the situation down. It’s states Wuhan is effectively in Lock Down which is the case having been so since 10am today public transport Airport etc. What I find concerning and don’t see any mention of is the fact a Passenger Airline was aloud to Depart Wuhan for Heathrow airport which landed earlier today. I Expect to hear further cases of coronavirus very soon indeed.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  3. StevieBhoooy!

I flew from Wuhan to Japan in 2017 and there was some kind of virus alert there at the time as well ... not sure if it was global news but seemed like the Far Eastern countries were desperate to contain it.. people were being screened leaving China and in Kyoto airport they had thermal cameras and medical staff just before arrivals scanning faces for elevated temperatures... it really sunk in then how difficult it must be to contain this sort of thing and how dangerously fast it can spread throughout the world.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'm just amazed this is the authorities only just detecting it.

I used to work in a bar and see Corona-viruses every weekend.

kramer1, dalbeth3, McGuire and 5 others like this.
  5. MickeyyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    dying Rebel
    From the footage I’ve seen not mainstream U.K. news ie BBC ITV, the measures put in place for those boarding the flight from China to the U.K. are disturbing they have stated that there was no screening process at that end boarding the flight nothing in regards to medical professionals. Only thing mentioned which in itself is quite shocking in regards to containing a potential serious virus is those passengers were handed a leaflet upon arrival at Heathrow by Health England which stated the symptoms etc all of which was only printed in English, not that the leaflet would have played a great deal in containing the virus anyway as checks should have been in place at the Wuhan end if the flight was granted permission. Just seems to me that the whole situation hasn’t been handled very professional. The outcry at present by the U.K. press about 4 people in Scotland being “tested” is worrying yet no safeguards had been put in place in the first place. I fully expect to here more regarding this hopefully not to bad but going by the way it’s been handled in this case I wouldn’t keep my hopes up.

6. Aidan O’Shea Gold Member Gold Member

Hope Morelos gets it.

Doogs. likes this.
  7. MickeyyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    dying Rebel
  8. MickeyyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    dying Rebel
    Being reported now that 5 people being tested in Scotland.

9. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    There's always something, swine flu, bird flu, avian flu, SARS etc etc

10. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    There's one in Belfast being tested now......

MickeyyyMack likes this.
  11. MickeyyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    dying Rebel
    Nah , may just be my opinion don’t know how others feel about this situation but I think this is a bad yin and can see it spreading like butter on toast. The silence from down south is worrying imo, I could be wrong but I believe there is 3 direct flights from China to Heathrow per week yet no mention of anyone being tested!

12. TimFloyd Gold Member Gold Member

It was on the radio that all flights from China to Heathrow will disembark at a segregated area and will be tested.

13. Bonobhoy

No need to worry as yet (here at least),most of this is media clickbait and the usual scaremongering,we get this sort of stuff every year,usually dont hear about it as much as this though.

But yes the problem is worse than being reported,but worse as in more people having it than expected but the ratio to death is extremely low.

Not quite the Spanish Flu as its being approached by the media.

Id be more worried of the policing of it and where it came from originally

14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Ajer
    Not something i'm bothered about, i don't smoke cigars. :50:

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  15. Lecs

I'm eating a * special curry and a chow mein. * the virus.

MickeyyyMack likes this.
  16. stew37

8db02790ad2cfb19ad0df922935beb3c264869634adefe8f0586fc645a1970e2.jpg None are confirmed as far as I've understood.

Fully87 and Bonobhoy like this.
  17. MickeyyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    dying Rebel
    Well were the virus originated “Apparently” Wuhan. A passenger flight departed and on arrival at Heathrow passengers were handed a Leaflet,
    Does that sound like the flight disembarked and those passengers were tested? There was no screening before they departed let alone safeguards at this side of the fence.

18. StevieBhoooy!

Watched bbc news just there.... making a big deaL out of people in Beijing wearing face masks... they always wear them there anyway because it’s so polluted and smoggy.

Fully87 likes this.
  19. stew37

Maybe this is China's big biological attack on the west...

20. Lewis Kerr

There's more than that, there's 3 per day from Beijing into Terminal 2 alone every day. And also flights to/from Shenzhen and Chengdu. I work here and no ones tested..

packybhoy likes this.