1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Coping with Depression, Stress, Anxiety and other Mental Health Illnesses

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Drakhan, Apr 8, 2016.

Discuss Coping with Depression, Stress, Anxiety and other Mental Health Illnesses in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Just wondering if other Scottish football clubs supporters fan forums have this type of thread on their sites or is it just us Celtic supporters that are all mad *:84:

2. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Nah the huns probably have one similar. The thing is.....on their one when folk are asking for advice on how to deal with anxiety and depression....the only answer they'll get is....."go for a walk....its nearly July..."

3. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  4. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Going to a therapist later today, hopefully it will help with some stuff going on. It’ll be good to actually talk to someone too even if they are a professional rather than family or friends

5. celtic warrior

Always good to give it a go...I've found, which is something of course I need to work on...talking to who I'd view as a stranger regarding my mental health can be easier then opening up to family and friends.

Either way...keep going...keep reaching out and asking for the support from whomever is there to provide it and then hopefully in time, you'll feel like weight gets lifted.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    Graeme1888 likes this.
  6. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

For sure, I’ve always thought it was easier to talk to a stranger even about other things. But this is the first time I’ve ever done therapy, hopefully it’ll open some doors for me and I can process what’s going on. My wife said she was worried about me mentally (I can’t help but feel like she’s already made her mind up and wants me to not go crazy or something) so she was encouraging me to go see one, I’m just really feeling lonely at the moment despite my wife saying she still loves me etc, I don’t know. This is why I need a professional to talk to haha

7. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Well it wasn’t what I was expecting, we talked a little about my wife and I but came away at the end feeling like we talked more about my job and career (or lack of having one). I think I need to have 4 or 5 more sessions to really get it

neilly1987 likes this.
  8. DonnyCelt

Extremely testing times for myself at the moment. Work and coming on TC is really all that is keeping me going at the moment.

I'm trying to wake up and think more positively. It works to a certain stage, until something in my day reminds me if it's all worth it.

Graeme1888 likes this.
  9. DonnyCelt

All the best mate. Hope therapy helps you. Stay strong.

Graeme1888 likes this.
  10. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    I went through a period like that, would somehow bring a bit of positivity to myself but then a few small insignificant things that, in normal circumstances would never even register, would quickly knock it out of me and I'd be back to negative thinking.
    I kept getting told "just around the corner" and "light at the end of the tunnel", it felt like the longest bendiest tunnel ever and took me a long while to get over that period.

It was the most trying period for me with my battle with depression and only perseverance got me through it.
    It can be tough but keep pushing towards positivity by reinforcing it each day, most of the time mine was false but eventually I got through it

DonnyCelt likes this.
  11. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    An absolute must for getting yourself out of a rut is staying away from social media, in my opinion.

Any time I take a break from it I can feel my mood improving within days. It’s fine in moderation of course but the mindless scrolling through Instagram, Twitter etc all day every day will rot your brain.

12. leeso-ardoyne

Definitely! That and the internet/smart phones all together. Alot of people that are depressed have to take some responsibility that they are actually to blame for it with the way they live there lives. Its not like a virus or bug thst jumps from one person to the next. How one lives there lives would be the root cause of depression in the majority of cases. Eating foods that are void of vital nutrients, vitamins, over worked and always on a smart phone then throw in some drink, reccys and not being active is a recipe for disaster! Some think that they can live that lifestyle, take a magic pill and everything will or should be ok. Never going to happen I'm afraid although it's easier said than done!

13. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Have you actually worked with or know the majority of all these cases of depression Leeso and why this would be the root cause?

Just feel I've wasted all my years working in mental health now as I never knew it was this simple to sort out :56:

The root cause of depression has long been established as a mental health journey that probably began as a single event in the very early formative years. Diagnosis of stress, followed by the likes of anxiety will generally be established long before depression.
    There will be some behaviours that are adopted by people that can become contributory to an escalation of poor mental health, however these are coping mechanisms, not the root cause.

This thread is far too important to be filling with unsubstantiated pish mate.

14. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    I don't think I'd class living that lifestyle as a cause of depression. Can it cause unhappiness and lead to a lack of fulfilment? Absolutely. I know because I've lived that lifestyle and when I got a handle, hey presto, I felt better. Then I let slip back in over the various lockdowns and guess what... I felt unhappy again. So I'm working on making positive lifestyle changes, and I have no doubt that I'll feel better as a result. BUT, none of that is the same as clinical depression. In fact, poor lifestyle choices are probably more a symptom rather than a cause of depression.

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  15. Mr Cleansheets

I pretty much never agree with Leeso, and I'm not really doing so now... I agree with you @Garrymac1888 on the root cause of depression with two queries... the first is that mind/brain science is still far from absolute.

The second revolves around my wife. She is one of life's amazing people and I am profoundly lucky to have her. So many people (strangers in the street) have poked me in the chest and said: Your wife is the rock on which I live my life.

Me too, I usually respond, wondering who the * they are... but she's a medical professional who deals mainly with mental health. (Also has to give sick people plenty of bad news.)

She's always been the strongest, most together person I know, but in the last year or so she's clearly gone down hill and recently all but fell apart. The stress she is under is clearly making her depressed but, I would suggest, that no-one could have had a more balanced and happy childhood. To the best of my knowledge.

So... a single event in formative years... don't know about that. Although you did say "probably".

16. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Do yous think this is weird or maybe even relatable?
    Basically had a breakdown at work during covid/lockdown (had probably been coming but that just made things worse)
    Obviously couldn't go to games for a period due to it all and during it I ended up gaining about 4 stone. My anxiety and depression put me off doing things to begin with but it's even worse now that none of my clothes fit and people would be like oooft you've put the beef on. This coupled with one time the guy next to me at CP pure grilled me for missing a game and told me how he was going to games while on crutches has just made it harder and harder to go back after we were allowed back in. Never went to a single game last season, just watched them all on the pass and tried to give my seat to a mate.
    Had covid last week but gonna go back tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it but also dreading the where have you been/mention of weight gain chat.
    Am I weird, obviously I could just say work or been ill or mind your own business and it all seems so simple, but that's anxiety for you...

17. Mr. Slippyfist

Not weird at all mate, you’re obviously not physically and mentally comfortable with your weight gain, therefore are overthinking the presumed questioning over said issue.

In fact, I’d go as far to say it’s a perfectly normal train of thought, regardless if it’s positive or not.

I know it’s probably the furthest thing on your mind, but imagine you go to the game - as your mind is telling you, folk commenting the comments you’re expecting. Then a few month down the line if you get yourself mentally better and physically and lose a few lbs, the folk making the comments will be just as quick to comment/commend you on how well you’re looking.

The easiest thing is to tell somecunt not to give a * what anyone else thinks, but that matters not a jot if the biggest player (yourself) has the biggest say.

Get well friend, try and see the beauty in yourself :60:

18. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Cheers man!

19. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That definitely sounds like anxiety man. You need to start somewhere though is what I will say, and Slippy makes a good point above.

Anyone who does comment on it is a judgemental, nosey * and I’d implore you do your best to ignore any negative comments and not take it too personally (easier said than done, I know) but like Slippy alluded you could see it as a personal challenge and think about the positive comments you will get in the future.

Hope you enjoyed the game anyway.

20. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Has anyone on the forum had experience with sunlight acting as an immediate or delayed trigger for depressive thoughts? I had to go get a haircut, and about 15-20 minutes of getting back home, I started feeling tired, with my brain deciding it wants to plan for the scenario of me getting sarcoma. Couldn't stop the stream of thoughts, I felt like a spectator, which is common for me. I've had this type of "attack" happen many times, sometimes with rapid onset.

I'd like to avoid sunlight at all, but I have psoriasis, and sunlight + going to the sea is useful for putting it under control, and making my physical disability not worsen (neuromuscular problems). So, these few weeks will be...interesting.