1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Coping with Depression, Stress, Anxiety and other Mental Health Illnesses

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Drakhan, Apr 8, 2016.

Discuss Coping with Depression, Stress, Anxiety and other Mental Health Illnesses in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jj81

Hang in there mate , it will get better even though it feels it won't, good luck

2. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Try to get some exercise in if you can mate. It might feel like “my life is * what good will a run do?” But endorphins will help elevate your mood. I couldn’t cope without exercise personally.

eire4 and Dannybhoy81 like this.
  3. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    I am finding that I've got kinda the opposite symptoms from what would be regarded as common regarding depression.

I need to be out walking....almost like 24/7 if I can. The fresh air and the outside seems to keep the bad thoughts at bay. It doesnt matter where Im walking to or why. I just need to keep walking. I am being serious when I say that I probably walk 20 odd mile a day easy.

When I have to be inside I feel terrible....all my problems hit me at once, then the anxiety starts, and I just need to find an excuse to be back outside again. Does anyone else know what I mean?

4. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Makes perfect sense mate. I’ve read before that when you walk the amygdala (responsible for the stress/anxiety response) shuts off/ can only focus on current present dangers (of which there are none really on a walk). Some therapists get their clients to look laterally to the left and right because those eye movements trick the amygdala into thinking you’re walking.

Spent a few years out of this thread but took a real dip the last few months. Could honestly just burst into tears at any moment if I wanted to. Pulled out last minute of a big weekend trip my mates are going on tomorrow. Every day getting up is a struggle. Sometimes I just think I’d gladly die if it didn’t leave any pain behind for others.. that’s what depression does to me. The last couple of months basically the only thing that has brought me joy and excitement is Celtic honestly. Just fancied a little vent and maybe help others realise they ain’t alone. Looking forward to getting out of this smog.. keep going eh.

5. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    Depression is absolutely horrible. Ive had all that when the only thing keeping me here is the amount of hurt I would cause others in my family if I was to go. I hate it. I've been at points when I just used to take handfulls of sleeping pills during the day just because I didnt want to be awake. I never understood it when I was younger. I thought people were exagerating and that it couldnt be that bad. But now I realise I was so so wrong.

It probably isnt a good thing that I just stopped taking my meds about 2 months ago. Just decided one day and stopped all of a sudden. The government funds the NHS who are told what to prescribe people and it cant be the case that everyone in the country can be treated on the same 10 or so medications for depression and anxiety. Everyone has a different chemical balance in their brain which means if mental health problems are a chemical imbalance in your brain then there would be thousands - tens of thousands of different scenarios and eventualities and therefor the same amount of varied treatments. I am determined to get over it without touching any more NHS meds....cause I just do not trust them. But right now it has become very very difficult and I do feel your pain. My hate about it all is when you take it out on those you love the most and you hurt them because of the hurt you are feeling. I hate that and it in turn makes my mental health worse

KRS-1888 and Slaw like this.
  6. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Just ran 13k and suddenly the grass is greener and the air smells fresher. Can’t beat it.

dalbeth3, Northerner, eire4 and 5 others like this.
  7. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Good on ye!

Slaw likes this.
  8. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Made good progress over the past few weeks and feeling so much better and back on top of things in general!

9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Totally agree. Getting a good run and or work out always helps I think. The old cliche of the runners high I so true I think.

Slaw likes this.
  10. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Unreal man keep up the good habits

eire4 likes this.
  11. PaddyJamieson

Sorry to read this, mate. Depression is horrible and unlike anything else I've faced. It seems like you are doing your best to get on top of it (however possible that is) so wish you all the best. Amazing how important Celtic are when going through something like this, can often feel like the only proper shining light in life.

12. Northerner Ave Maria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I am a bit worried with the end of the season coming. The routine & excitement has helped me a lot, particularly this year. Would have loved a summer tournament to keep my mind busy but it wasn't to be.

13. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    It is going to be a different pre-season too. With no qualifiers to play our first competitive game for next season will be a good bit later then it has been for a while. But I know I will be basking in the glow of what an incredible season we have just finished for a fair while yet.

14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    So true that. It is what made Ange's comments after the 3-0 game against the zombies so much more resonant for me as well. When he talked about the game giving people a respite and some happiness and ability to forget their problems for 90 minutes at least.

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  15. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Thanks I appreciate that. It truly is amazing how big a part of my life Celtic has been my whole life. Even on a forum like this you meet in a fashion and get to know to an extent some truly good people like yourself and it all helps. It is very much for me a big part of what makes Celtic so special that there is a sense of community and support there for each other.

buchanbhoy, Slaw and PaddyJamieson like this.
  16. DonnyCelt

Everything came to a climax today. Ended up moving out my home. Dunno what tomorrow holds.

17. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Just put in PIP claim. Made me realise I was diagnosed with depression in 2001.
    Forgot about when that happened. Could have realistically gotten help a lot sooner than I did.

18. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Good luck

19. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Sorry to hear that mate, I hope you are coping. I had to leave my family home about 10 years ago, I had to leave my 2 kids behind as my mental health and relationship with my ex was on a massive downward spiral. My mental health went further down after the split. Unfortunately there is no cure but keep talking and reach out if things get heavy, as men it isn't always easy to talk and I am one of those who struggle with that but I've realised taking that step and opening up is better than holding back

20. DonnyCelt

Thank you mate, I wish nothing but the best for you and hope you have managed to find some happiness and are coping well.