1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Coping with Depression, Stress, Anxiety and other Mental Health Illnesses

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Drakhan, Apr 8, 2016.

Discuss Coping with Depression, Stress, Anxiety and other Mental Health Illnesses in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Don’t know if this thread is where I should put this... now more than ever there should be a spotlight on mental health, came across the story of the fella who’s recently passed away and it hit home how much people must be struggling just now. https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/joseph-duffy39

T
    ough times for us all but hopefully the Celtic family can chuck in a few quid for the guy. Ynwa Joseph

2. jake10

Really struggling with my mental health, in isolation alone and can’t eat, sleep,wash, haven’t spoken to anyone in days

3. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC Gold Member

Have you got any close friends/family you can pick the phone up to, Jake? Whether it’s a phone call / text / FaceTime?

I’ve been struggling to adapt to it myself, but I’m just trying to keep in touch with as many people as I can and keep things as ‘normal’ as possible.

Sticking my headphones on and going out a long walk/run has helped massively as well, if your able to do that? Small steps, but you’ll notice a difference by just getting out the house for a bit and getting some fresh air.

Feel free to PM me any time, even if it’s just for a chat!

4. Marie Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    :102:

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Edit: Wrong thread. So sorry, guys. I'll move it. Apologies again. Hope you are all coping.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  6. cfc_kenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Hope you guys are well.

My mental health has gradually declined over the past few months.

It’s a recurring problem for me, stressful events can trigger an episode that escalates disproportionally to the point of feeling suicidal.

I have quite bad social anxiety and fear of judgement so I have pretty much withdrawn from the world.

I think I’ve spent the majority of my * life just trying to escape my despair; journaling, travelling, medication, drugs, therapy, hypnosis, meditation, hobbies etc. Nothing has been because I want to do it,just coping mechanisms.

The worst part for me is my lack of contribution to the world, I don’t have any really skills or anything of value to provide for other people. I’m the least practical person you could imagine. I feel entirely useless.

I had a bunch of friends/ mates when I was younger, but most of them ended up on hard drugs so I moved away to build a new life for myself, but I’ve never really built one.

anyway, I’m at the point now where I’m crying most days and at a bit of a loss.

I don’t agree that suicide is a cowards way out, I think it takes a tonne of courage and I don’t even it in me to bypass that survival instinct and go through with it.

I don’t want to scare people, I know it must be uncomfortable to read this, I just feel the need to express myself somewhere to someone and this seemed the most relevant thread.

cheers

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Hi @cfc_kenny, cheers for sharing how you're feeling. It takes a lot of courage to open up and be honest, like you've just done...even on a forum like this.

I can identify a lot with what you've said about social anxiety and a fear of judgment, see definitely been there. Also been at the helpless point you describe that you're tending to. It can turn around man. Believe me. When you're feeling * like that, it's so important to talk. My PMs are always open if you want to do it away from prying eyes. If you don't feel comfortable doing that or with friends or family then why not Samaritans or SAMH?

Don't let it all bubble away in your own head, that's when we spiral down and down..

I also don't agree with the argument that suicide is a cowards way out, I think it's a lazy and ignorant view that doesn't progress the conversation at all. That said you have lots to live for, even if you can't see it right now, you do. Life is precious man, we get one shot at this. Unless you're a Buddhist and believe you'll be reincarnated again as something else.

It's time to drill down on the underlying issues that are making you feel like this, I can give you some ways of how I did it, if you want to hear over PM?

cfc_kenny and buchanbhoy like this.
  8. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'm sorry to hear of your burden and I have no constructive comments to give other than congratulate you on speaking out. I'm sure you will get advice and care from many on here and hope it is good for you. If you feel like talking one to one, pm me.

cidermaster, Jeannie960 and cfc_kenny like this.
  9. ddub11

10. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Lynch lol
    Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    Good post mate :50:. I'm sorry for your situation but fair play for posting it up.

What you've just done there is instil a seed of confidence in others that may well grow and encourage someone else to open up.

You could have potentially saved someone's life. :60:

You're far from worthless.

cfc_kenny and buchanbhoy like this.
  11. cfc_kenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Thank you to all you guys who responded to my message earlier.

I’m a really inconsistent poster and I just want to apologise if I haven’t responded and it seems like I’m being rude. I really appreciate that you all took the time to read and reply to my post.

Hope you’re all doing well.

12. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

You say you have social anxiety. You post journals. Why not write a book and try and get it published. Try and make contacts that could help. It will show even more that you aren't alone and could help you with that part of your anxiety.
    I like the part of your post "I had a bunch of friends/ mates when I was younger, but most of them ended up on hard drugs so I moved away to build a new life for myself, but I’ve never really built one. ".
    The fact that you moved away took courage. A lot of people in your situation feel trapped and find it very difficult if not impossible to find a way out. You did it. You just need to make that little extra push to help yourself and doing so could give you the much needed confidence to help others at same time.
    Posting on here means that we can help you if needed. We understand generally, although not specifically, what you are going through and are here to help.

13. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    I agree. Putting pen to paper, giving a voice to all of those harmful and negative emotions might be the best thing he will ever do and, with help perhaps, to do it in a constructive way. He might have actually found his niche in society. People think that it takes smart, clever, bookish people to write but the best pieces of writing are done by the people in real life situations who write about what we can understand. Just a basic real life story that speaks to us. It takes courage to give voice to things that people so often keep hidden and to do it might have a positive effect on countless others. They do say that our experience of life is gained from past mistakes and people so often write about things like that or go on to have successful careers in counselling etc.

I would say use what you have learn't about yourself and the ways in which you have tried to cope with it to take a new path in life. @cfc_kenny has shown immense courage to have given such a descriptive account of his life experiences and battle with depression. He might not realize it but in taking a different path from friends he chose to become a survivor rather than a victim as it were.

buchanbhoy, seamus1967 and Drakhan like this.
  14. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Massive step is just letting people know....and for talkceltic has been a great help.

Hate to sound like a broken soundbite here but these last few months have been mad for everyone and I feel there are too many falling through the cracks...those with mental health issues being one.
    Being couped up with daily uncertainties can only add to anxieties and stress but even the littlest simple things can help alleviate some stress a little

I understand your thoughts as I feel exactly the same way. Been given many opportunities in a second chance at life and * it against the wall and struggle with that. But having my wife and family and other releases like music helps me greatly. Also being grateful for what I have and not what I could have.

If you do write that is a great way to take it out whether it be short stories or poetry.
    Not much of a poet myself but recently wrote one (in a pretty drunken state at 4am in bed) and forgot about it till recently.
    Was possibly at one of my lowest but after reading it again I'd seen how much better I was doing.....even if it was just a little

Baby steps mate.

Take it easy

15. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Don't feel bad about that. Throughout our lives we re invent ourselves in order to cope with whatever period we're going through. No one has all the answers to everything and we can only do the best we can in any given situation. In re inventing ourselves we find out more about different aspects of our personality. We all use coping mechanisms like that.

Writing about things as has been suggested can be a cathartic experience. It makes you stand outside of yourself and can alter your perspective. No doubt each of those times that you "* it against the wall" you learnt something new about yourself or perhaps you're the kind of person who needs to psych yourself up for change and felt pressured into moving too fast. As you say live in the moment and be content with what you have. Other people are really too busy with their own lives to have any real expectations of any of us. I couldn't care less what anyone expects of me. As long as I'm a good person and try to be the best that I can be I can live with that.

16. cfc_kenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I wanted to post a reply to each person who replied to my post, but after writing the one to Drakhan I am feeling exhausted. If I can muster up the energy to respond individually to the posts I will, but for the meantime thank you Jeannie, Sean (for PM) and Greengrocer for your encouragement.

Thanks for replying, Drakhan.

I have actually started writing a book, but I kept lamenting myself over how * it is (which might be the depression, it's difficult to know). I keep considering going back to it, but I've lost my motivation and direction. I guess making contacts is the difficult part, I don't have any. I've sort of withdrawn from society - partly through choice and partly through circumstance/ mental illness.

I am an unfortunate combination of genes and circumstance. I don't blame anyone or anything, it is what it is.

Perhaps it did take courage to escape those friends and that environment, but it's left me quite isolated and I probably need a support network for my own safety. I think the feeling of worthlessness is enhanced by not having any specific skills to contribute or add value to society. There's nothing I am particularly good at or else I'd like to use it to help somehow. I know my feelings of failure and worthlessness are enhanced by my mood, but it's difficult to see beyond that just now.

17. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Where can I buy pharmiciticuels like setraline?,been self medicating the past few months,il never trust doctors that's never going to change,it's a long storie,moral crusaders can * off n find someone else to shame.no a few places but they only accept bitcoins.any alternatives that accept cash n delivery to your door?pm pls..help is appreciated running out of my latest batch which a friend gave me.okay just now but will be struggling badly when I run out.

18. Markybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roamin in the Gloamin
    I am beginning to really struggle with this whole situation now. Was watching Panorama there and they were saying even if they did devise a live vaccine, it would be risky administering it to people who's immune system doesn't work normally. Which mine's doesn't. So I don't think I would risk it. Which means playing russian roulette and hoping this thing never finds you. It just seems unlikely. Beginning to feel like I should just head out and cuddle everybody until I catch it and just get it over with. See if I survive it.

I'm only half joking. This is really, really depressing. It just feels like there is no way out.

19. wd2oo3

Hi mate been meaning to get back to you for a while .First I can totally relate to you it has been an ongoing battle with myself also. The decline in my mental health was more like a how the fk did this happen / how am I here to the nightmare rollercoaster of ups and downs . Best way I can describe the decline is your on a rollercoaster you can’t get off with the lows getting lower and the rollercoaster getting quicker and quicker. The feeling of not being able to stop it or know when it will stop and the feeling of it being totally out of control . I wish mental health on nobody it’s a long road to recovery just need to keep going and getting back up and trying again .

Your coping mechanisms you should try work on for example through my counciling last year my guy got me to pick a few that I was good at, ones I enjoyed that I thought I got the most out of . He also got me to chose 5 positive ppl in my life and 5 negative. He then suggested I go away that week do the hobby I found most rewarding and out the five people who I listed call two of them and ask them to come over to get involved. I enjoy cooking incase anyone was wondering so aye I had my mates over for tea. So anyway do that see how you go he said try that . I struggled to find the motivation and it took a lot of effort to do the stuff that my councillor suggested . At the end of the day regardless how many times you go down on the “rollercoaster” it’s a case of stop then think for a min pick yourself up and say * it lets go again . I literally got to the point where I was laughing . Laughing at my life and the utter chaos surrounding me it was becoming a joke a joke I wanted no part of it was out of the blue randomness that you couldn’t write or predict.

Suicide was my ultimate low and agree it’s not a cowards way out 100%. It’s the constant mental battle, struggles, the lows one after another. everyone has a breaking point and for me it was a reality check the realisation that there is the very very bottom and the last rollercoaster low it was something to build on. People did say you will realise your lowest when you get there , took a while and the lows were fir me worse Each time. It has not been plain sailing right back up it’s had its lows but I keep going.

It was almost my way out last April the feeling of total loss and the give up feeling is horrendous to say the least . I remember sitting on the floor for hours just saying I give up or help over and over to myself . I was out of options . I’m a gas engineer I left my employer last year when I got back on track and set up business on my own . However it’s my job a bit of CO and I’d be sleeping. My biggest fear was because of my trade / knowledge I know I’d do it first time . I still have my note I typed saved on my laptop which I have never read since typing. I was as close as boiler case off to set it up to stopping in my tracks to getting into bed to really think one last time . Close enough . The only reason I didn’t I’d guess for my boy .

2019 wasn’t great. I made the police aware of my trouble and the reasons that led up to my mental crash , yet last year and being in extremely vulnerable position which they animals were all to aware of they literally made my life *. No consideration no compassion. I didn’t do anything bad or hurt anyone other than myself. I was really really unwell. I hate them . I may have made the wrong choices along the way but the total disregard for my health and well-being with not a single * given to me. I now look at every one of them now with total disgust. Brought my job into disrepute. Pulled in for fact find interviews to then find myself suspended full pay awaiting a trial outcome. Horrible horrible * nearly put me over the edge. Domino effect everything totally out of control.
    Not guilty on both btw a total waste time they seen me as an easy target to make whatever targets or bonuses they have.

Never been in any trouble before never in court jail anything clean record the lot .

Two examples. first theft of a fence .. exactly it was my fence in the first place. Second my mate didn’t pay for fuel (no longer a mate) totally unaware two months later police came to my house said I done a drive off. No way I did was it me ? Yep u seen u cctv . Ok I said I’ll go pay now it was an accident. Nah I’ll just charge you for theft then read out my rights . Laughed at myself and another car crash moment to deal with. I explained everything to them . Nope didn’t give a * . Might be wee but when I was dealing with so much it literally put me back to square one again and another problem on top of my other problems. My whole coping and dealing with situations was non existent. Later I seen the notes the police had taken . “William thought it was funny” go and take a *, imo there’s no need for that I see that as just nasty and inappropriate. I will never trust or speak to the police ever again . I’d have got better quicker if they just left me alone .

never be scared to express urself mate nothing to be frightened of you should be proud . I was proud when I finally asked for help and spoke to others, too many men keep it in . U didn’t so brilliant . The more of us speak who have or had problems will help get more men looking for help eventually everyone will have the confidence to speak out and ask for some support. Baby steps and eventually the male under 50 suicides will one day will be a thing if the past .

I have posted a few times in this thread if you want to have a look back to last year you might find something in them that you can take something from . Some handy YouTube channels , stuff that I learned from my sessions etc.

sorry for my typos doing this on a phone at a silly o’clock. I’ll fix tomorrow on a desktop .

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  20. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    You're in the right place to talk if you want to and welcome too.
    This situation is not for ever. Already we're seeing small improvements, the Bhoys are back in training for instance. You really do want to be here for the next kick-off. As you say yourself, no Celtic to watch is a downer in itself and I've had times in the not very distant path when a dose of Celtic was all that kept me going. As I said, this is not forever and will be better when the team are playing: you don't want to miss that.
    If you want to unburden yourself pm me, I can listen.