Coping with Depression, Stress, Anxiety and other Mental Health Illnesses

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Drakhan, Apr 8, 2016.

Discuss Coping with Depression, Stress, Anxiety and other Mental Health Illnesses in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. leeso-ardoyne Lord of the Chickpeas

How you getting in now Pearse. Any improvements, changes to lifestyle, routine. If not, start with this in the next few days. This should start your day for breakfast. Google all the health benefits of said products. This is the type of stuff you should be putting through your system, especially for one on a road to recovery!

When your buying the cinnamon powder, buy the Ceylon type. The stuff bought in most supermarkets is mixed with a toxic suppstance which can be harmful to ones liver.

You can make your own almond milk without all the additives added to store bought. Or if you like oats, you can also make oat milk. Very simple to make.

It'll take you awhile to get used to these breakfasts because our minds are addicted to salt, sugar and other additives that give us an instant hit.

IMG_20200213_113625811.jpg IMG_20200213_113934411 (1) (1).jpg

2. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Lesso how do I make the almond and oat milk?

leeso-ardoyne likes this.
  3. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Been on a YouTube channel called bedtime stories recently.it's a collection a scary,paranormal and missing person cases.quite creepy but enjoyable they have been knocking me out at night my sleeping has been terrible for years.

neilly1987 likes this.
  4. leeso-ardoyne Lord of the Chickpeas

Just a case of blending them up with filterd water and strain the waste out. Ya can add some cinnamon or similar spices. Very nice they can be! Very good for you aswell!

ChrisMoh likes this.
  5. Wullywanbaw

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Zombie nation
    So.... after a year or so with mental health issues, i finally decided to bite the bullet and go get help. Long story short, i found my dad past away when i came home from work ( i moved in and cared from him while balancing my job) that event took about 7 years to get over. I just smoked green and became numb. I had my wee boy who was a blessing and has good Celtic blood in him btw ;) so hopefully he will turn out a good one for the future like his great great grandpa.
    Anyhow i have been diagnosed with anxiety, depression and ocd. put onto Mitrazapine and zopiclone but the side effects were horrible.
    My anxiety was down to my health. I have a lymph node in my neck which i feel like 50 times a day, its only really small but i dig for it. about the size of a pea. had loads of infections in the mouth, throat, and glandular fever. Had 5 docs look at it and bloods. all say its totally fine but i cannot get the thought of it out my head. I have a doctor now who called me the worried well lol. Referred me for CBT THERAPY and 100% this has been the best thing ever to happen. i have gave up smoking as a result, weed as well. back to the gym and back to eating a healthy diet. the group stuff is fantastic and i have made a few friends from it who are tims as well.. I now know that my health is OK and its all in my head and the therapy has made me realize my trigger points. DO NOT GO ON GOOGLE is some solid advice as well. ]
    Thanks for listening its been hard to even speak to my partner about this. but i am on the road to recovery and finally smiling again. HH

6. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Glad you shared this.
    Knowing about other people's positive experiences can help anyone.

Seán Mac D and Wullywanbaw like this.
  7. Wullywanbaw

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Zombie nation
    No worries, it feels good to get it off my chest. A problem shared is a problem halved after all. If anyone is going through the same with mental health, reach out and get the relevant help. medication is not the answer in the long term.

8. StevieBhoooy!

9. jake10

The part you highlighted. I get my news from teletext and written sources online, this way I have more control and am less likely to be surprised with my PTSD triggered. I used to be an avid devourer of news, guardian delivered daily, C4news when it started and at times even party political conferences but just can’t anymore, too much * in my head from various care work I did back in the day.

10. neilly1987 Wits eh goalie dain Tom??? Gold Member

Obviously I'm thankful that my job is unaffected by all that's going on, but having * coughing all over me and giving me dog's abuse all day everyday is * draining me man.

11. leeso-ardoyne Lord of the Chickpeas

What is it you do?

12. leeso-ardoyne Lord of the Chickpeas

13. Marie Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
  14. StevieBhoooy!

just check your favoured (real) news site once a day (or once morning and once evening) and just take in what you need to. There’s a lot of peripheral stuff that isn’t helping.

I think the key to this (leaving aside the illness itself) is to just get on with normal life the best you can within the restrictions that affect you.

Marie likes this.
  15. Marie Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I turned my phone off yesterday afternoon and didn't put it on until lat last night because my wee mum pointed out that I was constantly updating her on the figures from that worldometer site and news updates....didn't realise how much it had consumed me.

Been trying to keep myself busy with clearing out cupboards and wardrobes and it's helping to keep me occupied.

My son has gave me his PS4 so I can play old games that I loved when he was a kid he's downloaded, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon and Medievil, they will help at night when I can't sleep.:52:

smokie899 likes this.
  16. StevieBhoooy!

:shamrock::50:

17. neilly1987 Wits eh goalie dain Tom??? Gold Member

Work in a chemist.

18. leeso-ardoyne Lord of the Chickpeas

Interesting times for you.

19. cfc_kenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm feeling particularly down tonight.

My old school mates mum used to always foster kids. I used to stay over his house most nights of the week, my house was often empty and his was full of life and food. She fostered a few kids from Johnstone. There were a couple of years younger than us, a lassie Lisa and her younger brother Johnny. They were passed about from home to home, deeply troubled kids as you can imagine. Their biological parents were quite well known in Johnstone, apparently 'gangsters' but really just deprived to the point of alcoholism and smack. Anyway, my mate at the time ended up in a relationship with Lisa so I got to know them reasonably well and to be honest thought that the environment helped them flourish into decent young people.

My mate and I drifted apart naturally as life unfolded. He got quite involved with Lisa's family and I would still visit to smoke some weed with them now and again, but was feeling less comfortable with the lifestyle and people he surrounded himself with. I'm not in contact with him anymore, but I know he ended up on a lot of coke for a while before moving on to smack and destitution. A lot of my friends from school ended up in similar situation, and to be honest the loneliness haunts my * life - I knew them when life was simpler and they had aspirations and a glint in their eyes, and shared my closest friendships with people who are effectively gone. Sometimes I'm jealous of my brothers friendships because the guys he hung around with at school turned out to be quite 'successful' and will probably have those lifelong bonds, they go hill walking or meet up to do things friends do, I suppose. Making new friends as an * is difficult, particularly as a male I think.

Anyway, why think about this stuff now? Well my girlfriends brother moved to Johnstone recently for work. On her family group chat on Whatsapp her dad posted a link to an article on the BBC news site about a murder in Johnstone. It was a flippant message really, just another statistic, another news article. It was Johnny, Lisa's younger brother. He was stabbed to death in a flat in Johnstone on Wednesday night by a 17 year old who filmed it on snapchat as he beckoned him downstairs to kill him.

It could easily have been Johnny committing the murder. He didn't stand much chance from the start. The injustice of it all just hurts me. I'm quite sensitive and everything's been heightened with the stress of everything going on globally just now. My thoughts are with Lisa, her life has been nothing but tragedy - her boyfriend committed suicide last year and I guess she felt her role in life was to protect her brother as they didn't have parents to do it.