1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Coping with Depression, Stress, Anxiety and other Mental Health Illnesses

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Drakhan, Apr 8, 2016.

Discuss Coping with Depression, Stress, Anxiety and other Mental Health Illnesses in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. obafgkmlt The Unseen Fenian American SpaceTeuchter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Jules
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    This. I've spoken at international conferences and host a monthly event, and still each time before starting I'm jittery and all I can think is "I don't want to, let me go home."

Once you're up there though, all that should be in your mind is the list of points you want to hit. Make your only mental goal to hit all your talking points in a clear way. You won't even realize there's an audience there; it'll just be another drill of the routine you've been practicing up to that point.

2. leeso-ardoyne Lord of the Chickpeas

* torture they are at the start. Doing the wim Hoff breathing before the cold showers then when you come out, it's * up the change in mood one has. It's like night and day! If done correctly, no one will feel like * after them. Having the balls to do it a few times a day or every day takes some going though because ones mind is subconsciously telling you to not even get into the shower because of the instant shock to the system haha

3. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Im usaully doing it after gym n sauna.Not at the stage were im getting out of bed in the morning n diving straight under my own cold shower lol.

4. leeso-ardoyne Lord of the Chickpeas

That's probably the best and easiest the to do it because your already pumped, heated up. Try it in the morning let me know how you get on hahaha.

5. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  6. thomohoq

Been on Sertraline now for 3 months after finally admitting my inability to deal with this thing we call life while actually being human to my nearest and dearest. At times it’s a blessing. At times a lobotomy. * the international break.
    Let any friends you have that take the time to give a *, in. Most run for the hills. I may have done that in the past also but never again.

neilly1987, packybhoy, RTJ and 2 others like this.
  7. RTJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    I've not been going to work and am likely looking at losing my job. This is not a sad or frantic post, more like * it. Going further down the hole. Cant afford my meds. Noticing the difference.
    Got to think ahead though. It is extremely hard to find structure. CBT finally in January which i am optimistic about. It will take hard work and honesty.

neilly1987 likes this.
  8. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Hope it all works out mate.
    And if there is one thing I can say about this thread and those who care to share and check in on it.....they are a greater help than you can imagine.

RTJ likes this.
  9. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Hopefully you can take some strength knowing you have some help coming in January. CBT can be a real help. You might also get some benefit from trying mindfulness practice: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/mindfulness/

neilly1987 and RTJ like this.
  10. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  11. RTJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
  12. RTJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
  13. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  14. Pearse67*

Long time sufferer of depression and anxiety, been on prescribed medication since i was 18 (now 34) and im sick of taking these medications, side affects far outweigh any noticeable positives.
    So thinking of giving them the boot and trying something different.

I have been reading up about 5-htp and combining it with l-tyrosine, combining this with a little training and a healthier diet, anyone any experience of this or would like to add any info?

I live in Belfast and it is in the grips of a suicide epidemic, some people mention similar statistics in other places fresh out of conflict, my own opinion is alot of it is to do with the pitfalls of social media, readily available drugs prescription and illegal, low wages, rising costs and basically the struggles of life.

I am determined not to become another statistic, lost to suicide.

15. leeso-ardoyne Lord of the Chickpeas

You have been on meds from 18, now 34- HOLY *!
    Pearse, you are a classic example of how the meds don't work. Not only have you to sort out your issues through other methods, your mind is going to go through a cluster * even trying to deal with coming of them. That's 16years of your body getting addicted to them.

I hear ya About the epidemic of suicides in Belfast. Old friends of mine have done it plus I've lost count of the amount of people I know who've committed suicide there. As for the troubles being a small part of it, I don't believe this is true. Most of the people who've did it wherent about then. The things you mention with social media and other is the cause. The addiction to smart phones is shocking. They have sucked people in and no letting go. The brain isn't supposed to be over loaded with all that information from morning to night from.a tiny small lite up screen. The bastarding thing now even owns my soul I'd say haha. The phones, the drugs, the keeping up with the Jones and the * waving contests(the look at me ballix) has destroyed people. I'm sure you get the jist.

Insaying all that above, it's good you recognize it and are wanting to tackle it. It ain't going to be easy. You need to change who you are. Get the confidence in you to change everything about yourself. Start with a plant based diet or adding alot more plant based foods to it along with exercise. Stop beating the * of yourself at 2am in the morning watching a small screen, that also has a big part to play in mental health in people.* eats away at your dopimane and if you aren't replacing it with good quality foods that produce it, then your going to be depleted from it and follows next, low mood, depression then a cycle of meds to try and rectify it which never happens.

The age old saying, get active, eat clean, stay away from negative *, think positive is what is to do. Doing it is another thing all together! Look back through this thread on some other advice I've give to help people with depression. Wim Hoff, some supplements I've mentioned previously go along way to helping. The microbiam in your gut also has a part to play in ones mental health, infact massively. Me, I've just had a mixture of my own homemade Kumbuca, lepicol probiotics with husks, a small dash of turimic, a small dash of cinimon powder with a large spoonfull of elderberry syrup (Google the recipe. Made with elder berries all around my land) washed down with a Dr udos probiotic tab. I take this 3 times a day and along with me adding to my diet plant based foods, I notice a massive difference in my mood and sell being. I know exactly what it's like to have a cluster * mindset as I grew up in Ardoyne. Follow what I've mentioned here along with other things I've mentioned in this thread and I bet your mind will be clearer. I know one thing, follow what everyone is doing up there and you'll never get better!

I hope this helps.

Hail Hail!

16. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  17. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

This thread is brilliant! Totally brilliant!

Out with my normal day job I am a mental health instructor, NLP practitioner and hypnotherapist. I love what I do, it's the most fulfilling thing possible and I pray to good I've helped somebody along the way.

I have days like today when after a few courses this week I feel mentally drained as it can be consuming knowing people are finding things so hard, but what keeps me going is that we as humans need to be there for each other and help each other.
    Have the conversations, never think that things cannot get better, they can.

18. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

How did the CBT go mate?

19. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  20. dowdalshillcelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Be careful coming off meds, it can be very difficult for some people. Especially if you have been on them long time. I have been on meds about five years. I am feeling tip top just on a mainteanace dose. i have been through the ringer in the past. But Im doing good.

buchanbhoy likes this.