1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Controversial Celtic Opinions

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Jul 7, 2021.

Discuss Controversial Celtic Opinions in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Maybe not better than Dembele, but VVD reached higher levels in his performances for me than Edourd has and put in good performances more consistently.
    Wanyama was a colossus in the middle of the pitch. Physically dominant. We wont see a better defensive mid for us in some time. Youre comparing technical ability, as opposed to the level of performances the player achieved for us whilst playing in that position.

if it went on techincal ability alone, then of all the names mentioned, naka is in a league of his own. Edouard doesnt lay a glove on him.

2. Born green

Spot on. I do think a lot of fans have very short memories. They are also influenced by recency bias. As well as how well a player did after leaving us. That's why it's easy to say VVD and Wanyama were 2 of the best (which they were). I also agree Dembele was up there. But Eddy is miles away. Even in his best season you have dozens of players that out performed him over a season.

If you want to talk about individual ability, rather than performances, which is a horrible metric and hard to quantify, he still wouldn't be at the top. Naka, Maloney, McGeady, Samaras, Roberts, Commons etc. But comparing a striker's ability to a defender or goalkeeper is incredibly unfair. Gordon, Forster and Boruc all demonstrated high levels of ability. As did Denayer, Izzy, McManus, Caldwell, Hartley, Robson etc etc for their positions.

If you did it on abiIity to score goals over a season, Eddy has been outscored by Hartson, Hooper, Commons, McDonald, Griffiths, and Dembele.

3. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I agree with this bit - and I did click like on your original post about him potentially doing well this year. However, I don’t think having a good player ‘in front’ will solve certain issues he has - especially since, under Ange, there will be a lot of times where he does have the wing to himself.
    I didn’t think he suddenly became great with Moi; although his link-up play naturally became better as he’d someone closer by. But again, this wasn’t always the case, as Moi often came inside, and Taylor too frequently didn’t take the opportunity to overlap.

That said, most of his issues could perhaps be ironed out in training under the right manager. Maybe Ange is that man, but it will take time, and we could do with better in that position while we wait.

I’ve also never bought that he’s slow. He isn’t rapid, but has at least average pace for a full-back, imo. It’s more like he doesn’t know how/when to use it properly.

4. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    They’re different opinions - so your questions make no sense addressed to me - but whatever.

Like I keep saying, you might be right, or @Noskeil might be right, but calling his opinion bizarre, when you can see he’s put thought and reason into it, is just disrespectful, and - in case you missed it - that’s all I’ve been calling you out on. Not even necessarily disagreeing with you. If you can’t hack something as mild as that, that’s up to you. Must spend your time on this forum in a perpetual rager though. :56:

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I repeat, you quoted me not the other way about. Must spend your time on this forum in perpetual idiocy :56:

6. mayo

We won’t win today. We struggled at swinecastle at the best of times

7. Buster

French Eddy’s demeanour when he ‘s playing well makes him look cool but also makes him look like a big lazy uninterested * when he isn’t

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Think he had a bigger impact for us winning trophies mate.

9. murphy88

We have destroyed them plenty times at Tynecastle. Our record there the last 5 years is very good I would say.

Liam Scales likes this.
  10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Genuinely don’t get how anyone can look at Edouard and Dembele’s careers with us and their big takeaway is that we should be avoiding players like that.

Football just isn’t for everyone.

11. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    VVD's time at Celtic and his influence is massively exaggerated. Not his fault, however he didn't have the influence in big games that Dembele and Edouard have had. The two seasons he was here Kris Commons and Stefan Johansen pipped him to the POTY awards. Yeah he has gone onto be a great defender and strolled through games but to no real end result. It's a bit like Preston fans being obsessed with Beckham.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  12. Born green

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain no one said that.

13. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

Take from that what you will.

14. Born green

I stand corrected. Apologies.

15. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    On the showing so far we won’t finish second and miss out on the CL

16. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Just because those players won those respective awards, doesnt mean VVD wasnt playing at a high level.
    The season Commons writers player of the year, VVD won celtic players player of the year.
    Tierney never won any of those awards, and despite being relatively young at the time, he was already a quality established left back in his own right.

I dont think anyone has ever massively overrated his time with us. I would argue, if anything his time was underrated. He began to string together quality performances and it became not a matter of if, but when he would leave. we sold ourselves short with the fee we got for him and even Sutton said that at the time.
    Our fans were saying at the time that VVD would get “found out” in the EPL and that Denayer was better than him.
    VVD had/has everything that you would want in a modern and old school defender.
    Strong in the air, comfortable with the ball at his feet, great in the tackle, positionally sound, covers the ground well and a great range of passing. He could even ping free kicks into the top corner.
    He even scored that magnificent solo goal against st johnstone where he stepped out of defence and scored. He was and will be head and shoulders above any defender we have had at celtic park in some time.

Solidsnake and honda like this.
  17. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I'm not denying how good he is. I am just saying he didn't really contribute much to Celtic in the grand scheme of things.( And as I have already said that is not his fault.)

18. MAP

3 games, no wins; Neil Lennon's resignation was premature.

19. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I'll tack on to your mention of Neil Lennon, and say that he was sabotaged by the board last season. Once he was mentally broken by the actions of the board and players, they kept him in order to ensure Rangers stopped the 10.

20. Forza 67

Wit? :43: