1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Controversial Celtic Opinions

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Jul 7, 2021.

Discuss Controversial Celtic Opinions in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Viduka frustrated me like no one else before or after. I remember being at CP watching us against that lot and Amoruso was pulling him,wee elbows in the back.Basically every Italianesque tactic going and that big shitebag just went in the huff and chucked it. Sickening.

2. Sgt Neppers*

Recruitment is going to plan according to the board.

3. Foley1888

Been having a think about this one, with the right set up around him Ronny Delia could have been a successful Head Coach for Celtic. He had a clear way he wanted to play, was pretty decent at developing young players and giving them a chance but was let down by a poor team supporting him that he didn’t know, the lack of a director of football, some very questionable signings probably led by our CEO, a clique within the squad that were old school and very little financial support.

With a proper DoF and his own coaching team he could have done a pretty good job.

I don’t think Ronny is cut out for management but isn’t a bad coach.

4. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I agree and disagree. Loved what he tried to do and everything he spoke about.

But… he was too nice or not cut throat enough IMO to make it here, or something along those lines.

5. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Apart from the invincible season and a couple of games against the huns, the football under Rodgers was dull as *.

Olivier Ntcham is not this great footballer hindered by a bad attitude, as many like to say. He's actually a pretty average footballer, with a bad attitude.

The term "angeball" is cringeworthy.

This season is going to be another disaster.

Yoshi likes this.
  6. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    1 All possession based football teams look dull as * against an 10 man defensive wall.
    Also, possession based teams with low confidence, which is what we currently are, go sideways and backwards playing with no bravery, taking zero chances which is also very very hard to watch.
    2 Possibly. Great is a strong term. I do believe he can play. But agree totally that he does appear to have a shocking attitude.
    3 100%
    4 I'm leaning that way myself unfortunately

rudebhoy67 and Liam Scales like this.
  7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Absolutely disagree with that, tactically he was shocking. And in the use of players he was terrible as well, Armstrong as a LW man.

8. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm the same with Bellamy. Most like or love him. I couldn't stand him. Thought he was a wee jumped up Ned and no matter how good he was on the pitch never ever took to him. Makes me angry typing his name for reasons I can't fully recall :39:

Viduka was a good player, who with half a yard extra pace, some heart and graft could have been a world class player. Made Jacki Dziekanowski look like a running machine. Didn't like Viduka either and was glad when he left.

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  9. Foley1888

Agree Armstrong shouldn’t have played left wing but that was as much down to who he had at his disposal it’s no surprise one of Rodgers first and marque signings was a left winger in Scott Sinclair.

Another controversial opinion is that Armstrong is an average player. He was very similar to Christie in that he had one good season and the season before he left was either injured or rotten.

Tactically he was stubborn with the 4-2-3-1 but then that is the system Rodgers got a lot of success with. Rodgers was obviously several levels above Delia so not trying to compare those too. And I agree with another poster he may have been too much of a soft touch but he did have some good ideas about the fitness massively needing to improve and a high pressing style.

At the end of the day it is a controversial opinion thread.

10. Born green

Not sure if this is controversial or not, but using the argument "if you can't see what I see then you must not know football" is not a valid argument. It's lazy debating and quite disrespectful. If that is your stance on any player or team, explain why you think that. Otherwise it's no better than saying "you are too stupid to understand, so I won't explain it to you".

This isn't aimed at you (you just reminded me of my controversial opinion) because I do agree that that may well be the reason for some, when it comes to the likes of McGregor, Ledley, Makelele etc. It could well be that some of the fans that don't like them are just watching the glamour players and don't appreciate them. But that won't always be true. McGregor has his qualities, and has shown them in the past. He deserved some of the criticism he got in the past year. And his performances at the Euros prove that he was underperforming for Celtic.

11. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Rieper was brilliant but he was too old to be considered on his way to being one of the best in the world, he signed for us at 29

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I love coming in here it's a rare laugh... :ange2:

13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    May not be a valid way of putting across what I want tonsay without going into a 10k word dissertation I agree.

But I fail to see how any celtic fan can't see what he brings to us and how consistent he has been for us overall.

He had a bad season last year, the way some are acting its as though he should be hung from the main stand and his baws slashed from his body.

Hes played pretty much every game for us for the past 5 years, something noone seems to want to acknowledge when criticising him btw and I often don't see people take into account the team he was playing in, bereft of confidence and with a manager who openly admitted he doesn't do "tactics". I'm not saying he doesn't deserve criticism, what i am saying is the vast majority of it is utter * and name calling with no constructive wording.

I honestly don't think last season is a good barometer to judge any celtic player. A complete cluster * start to finish, of which we as fans, qere only privy to some of it, on the field.

We will see a better Mcgregor under Postecoglu, I believe.

14. Born green

My post wasn't about McGregor specifically, he is just a good example of that line being wheeled out.

I think debating footballer's merits and flaws is enjoyable, and can lead to some really interesting debates. So it irritates me no end when people just shut down the argument with a comment of that ilk. Again, not having a go at you. You made some good points regarding McGregor. And I'm sure Ange isn't stupid enough to play McGregor 60+ games a season, like his predecessors did. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

15. Lecs

This thread is a belter.

I have no controversial Celtic opinions to add as of yet though.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  16. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Gerrard would have been a better appointment for us than Lennon

17. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Ironic considering Lennon was a better appointment for the Huns than Gerrard.

18. Yoshi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Andreas Thom
    Rangers would of won the league in 2008 if it wasn't for their Euro run

19. Yoshi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Andreas Thom
    Sick of hearing about the Seville season

We won * all and they won a treble.

The season after we were absolutely brilliant

Bayern Bru likes this.
  20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member