1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer graphics stop working after second hard drive connected

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by Lilac Wine, Mar 11, 2019.

Discuss Computer graphics stop working after second hard drive connected in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I have installed Linux on a PC and it's fine with just the SSD and DVD drive but as soon as I add any more sata drives it the screen goes blank.

The drives are fine, I've tested one in the same port the DVD drive is in and it showed up fine.

I've changed all the ports to Sata in the Bios. Turned off Secure Boot. Removed CMOS battery for a while before installation.

I don't know what else to do.

There is no graphics port on the Motherboard which is weird and annoying cause I've never seen one of those act up.

2. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Have you checked the SATA drive priority in the BIOS, to make sure its not trying to boot off the new HD.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  3. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Hi, well this is the problem, I forgot to mention it in the first post. When I go into Advanced Settings in BIOS, press F10 and turn the computer off so I can plug the SATA cables in, I can't go back into BIOS to see what's happening and when I take the cables out and then just leave the OS drive running, BIOS settings have all been reset :39:

It was working alright before, I just wanted to put the OS on an SSD when it was on an old school 2.5" SATA drive.

4. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Can you no just put a linux instaler on a pen drive and fire it on the ssd, or do you need to do a whole system migration.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  5. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Hi, thanks for replying again.

I still have the installation DVD, are you suggesting using it as a Live session kinda thing? Oh yeah sorry, not trying to be funny but another problem when the screen goes blank is the DVD drive just flashes and won't open, even if it's empty.

It's very strange behaviour. I'm going to leave it till tomorrow evening because it's so tricky getting into all the 5 sata connectors and then trying to remember which two work and why they do. I mean there is a block of 6 sata6 ports, 4 white and two blue. If I remember rightly the two blue ones are 6g speed if that makes sense although they should be backwards compatable.

In fact all the ports are supposed to be backwards compatible cause in the BIOS the options are IDE SATA and something else which I don't think I've ever used.

The OS SSD is on a separate SATA port which is on it's own on the motherboard. I just assumed it was there for that reason althoughh I noticeed it has a strange number SATA 13G I think.

As I said it was set up exactly like this before apart from the HDD was the old style. Why can't I remember what they were called?

Anyway the disk spindle thingy.

I've got like 6TB, kept them since Uni and there's mostly stuff like notes and homework but also some old bit torrent files when I was mad for that. A lot of emails I used to save cause I treated them like letters haha so ancient.

I've got about 8 Celtic videos, The Bhoy who would be King, one of Lubo and the Lions etc.

Oh * I gave about 100 cds to charity after deciding a media centre would be a good idea but then Virgin Tivo was a betterr idea. Not too concerned about the music cause I've got Prime streaming and I'm sure near enough everything is on there. Though I want my Jimi Live cd back cause that's £25 on Amazon it being a bit rare. It's his best cd though * it.

I'm sure I'll sort it, even if I have to just find the two arbitrary ports and transfer to an external drive.

I should probably just delete the junk and get up in the Cloud. Dunno if I need to spend £100 a year for something I could leave in a drawer.

Oh btw, never forget your gmail password, they don't let your reset it. 2004 I've had the same account and phone number and they don't trust me the feckers.

Just a random bit of info there haha.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

6. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    Ahhh the joys :36: The graphics issue, is it an actual add in graphics card or is it built in to the motherboard with a graphics port?

SATA ports are all backwards compatible they will adapt to the slowest speed of your slowest drive I would however connect your OS drive to one of the 4 SATA ports not that funny 13 gig thing you mentioned, I have no idea what board you have so i'm not sure what that is to be honest. For best results on a Linux installation I would connect all your hard drives you want to use before trying to install the system, it's just easier, it's not as simple as windows where it calls drives C:\, D:\, E:\ etc.
    Linux needs a root a swap and a boot partition
    Linux will set them up for you but you won't find any C:\ drive it'll be something like sda0, sda1, sdb0 etc.
    Your dvd drive sounds like it has been mounted and so that may be what's causing it to be locked.
    If the computer has been working fine before with no drive issues, I'd deffi put that OS drive on a normal sata port along with the other hard drive and the dvd drive, then reboot with a Linux (i'm assuming Ubuntu live cd/dvd) and let it load up once done it will show you a list of options one being install Ubuntu with graphics option choose that and follow the onscreen commands.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Lilac Wine likes this.