1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Clyde v Celtic (by Yorkshire Tim) Sunday 27th February 2005

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic News' started by Yorkshire Tim, Feb 27, 2005.

By Yorkshire Tim on Feb 27, 2005 at 9:18 PM
  1. Celtic weren't taking any Prisoners today and put out a normal team today with the exception of Juninho Paulista for his first start since the 1-0 away win against Aberdeen in mid January, giving young Ireland International talent, Aiden McGeady a rest on the bench.

    Celtic were troubling Clyde Goalkeeper, Bryn Halliwell constantly and the Englishman was on hand to save threats from Sutton, Bellamy and Juninho early on in the first half.

    Clyde plater, Craig Bryson scored an amazing strike for the home team on the half hour, only to find that Referee, Thomson had already blown for a foul by Celtic's Stilian Petrov.
    From the free-kick that had ruled the Midfielder's goal out, Darren Sheridan hit the post for Clyde after curling around the Celtic wall.

    Craig Bellamy then had a good chance and tried to lob Halliwell, but Halliwell did well to save.

    Five minutes before the interval, a Juninho corner was headed in by 6 foot 6 defender, Stanislav Varga.

    At half-time, Chris Sutton made way for Shaun Maloney for his first competitive match of the season for the Bhoys.
    After the break, the Striker hit a free-kick into the Clyde wall, but the ball rebounded back to him he was tripped in the box by Bryson.
    Alan Thompson fired in the penalty to make it 2-0.

    Bellamy and Sheridan got into a patch of bother with the Referee, receiving a yellow card each after some pushing and shoving between the two.

    Halliwell was at full stretch to save a Juninho shot and watched Petrov's cracking effort come off the bar.

    On the hour, Juninho and Petrov combined together for Celtic's third. A one-two gave Petrov a great chance which he took for his seventh goal of the season.

    Varga tapped in Celtic's fourth and his second of the game on 67 minutes from another Thompson corner .

    Celtic completed the rout after 71 minutes, when Bellamy got a goal. Some neat work between McNamara, Maloney and McGeady let him in for his first for the club.

    Celtic mostly kept possession for the remainings of the match, a McGeady shot being Halliwell's only problem near the end.

    Sunday 27th February 2005
    .................Varga 39, 68
    .................Thompson 47 (pen)
    .................Petrov 60
    .................Bellamy 72
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2015