1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Christopher Jullien

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jun 28, 2019.

Discuss Christopher Jullien in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. cammy07

Thought he was excellent today, big lump up front for them wasn't even attempting to play football but he dealt with him pretty well.

Metrobhoy and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  2. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    He’s starting to deal with the physical side of things, I hope we can keep him for a few seasons.

3. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Really good today!

4. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I reckoned him and Brown were our best players yesterday, totally up for the physical side of it from those hammer throwers.

5. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Fingers crossed he is up for it away to Livi this time.

6. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Juliens celtic career didnt begin at almondvale. he has already faced cosgrove before yesterday dykes before the loss at almondvale. Neither had scored against us.

again, this notion that he isnt or wasnt “dealing” with the physical side of the game, came off the back of a poor team performance, on a plastic pitch, when livi played anti football.

He has had the beating of morelos every time he has played him and he has come up against european quality strikers also. About time we dropped it and gave him the credit he was already deserving of.

JamesM09 and Whoflungdung like this.
  7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I think he's been a cracking signing.

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He's received plenty of credit to be fair, and I've been a fan of his pretty much since I first saw him. However, the point about his performance against Livingston isn't invalid, Jullien admitted that he was rattled that day, and we're simply noting that so far it doesn't look like he's going to let it happen again.

9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    No but had already shown he could handle the physical side before that game, which btw was back on the 6th of October 2019. Its ridiculous.

And what? He had a game where he was roughed up, had an off day. Your praise is almost in spite of the fact your holding on to that poor performance. Better players will give him a harder time and fail to score and worse players will score and give him an easier time. Move on ffs. Good players perform more often and when they need to. He was heroic in the cup final along with forster.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I'm not holding on to it, mate. It was a notable blip that's easy to remember, and it's no surprise it gets mentioned in light of a very physical performance (he wasn't up against Cosgrove btw), where a lot of the team weren't playing well and where we could have easily dropped points. Despite you perceiving my comment as a negative, I was actually praising him. :50:

G_portillo likes this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He struggles the most against big, strong and fast strikers. He’s adapting to it though, it wasn’t just Dykes, that Hamilton striker couple weeks back, even Niang for Rennes. He’s not at his most comfortable whn players have the same sort of attributes as he does.

He is learning though, getting better I think.

Pretending our players have no weaknesses is just daft. He more than makes up for his though.

Hammy89 likes this.
  12. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    The thing is, i really dont think he does but thats just my opinion.

I remember watching Boyata and clangers against Rangers with Windass, and Bayern and other games when theres criminal mistakes made that cost goals. How many has Julien made? He is a far more steady centre half and he doesnt get credit for his positional sense and tackling. He is occasionally shaky on the ball if his pass to brown is blocked or he is marked but i think he is under appreciated

13. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He's had more good games than bad, but has a bit to go, for me, before I'd be totally comfortable with him.

As said, he's struggled a bit when up against powerful strikers, but he's definitely improving as the season goes on.

He's still adapting to our game.

Hammy89 and Liam Scales like this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I don’t think anyone doubts he is a better centre half than Boyata. It’s certainly not what I’ve said above anyway.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye, the difference in the game between the French league and Scottish is mental.

Like a different sport.

16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think it's fair to say you'll struggle to find a fan of ours that doesn't think he's been a good signing so far. Given the other centre backs we've signed in recent times, he's a breath of fresh air.

Keano88, JML67 and Hammy89 like this.
  17. Maestro 08

Don't think Jullien is under appreciated by anyone, far from it. Think you're looking for an argument that's not there. He's a major upgrade on Boyata and I don't see anyone saying different. Jullien himself admitted he was rattled in that Livi game and it's not the only time he's lost the head a bit. Aside from that he gets plenty of credit for his performances and rightfully so.

RabS likes this.
  18. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    In what way is he still adapting? Other than Dykes, when did he “struggle”?

he is in better form than Ajer and has more appearances than any other defender this season.

19. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    He has had far more good games than bad and made little if any notable individual mistakes that has directly cost us. He has also added 7/8 goals to the team from set pieces where we have struggled in recent seasons. Yet a game where he has been made a scapegoat vs Livingstone is still being highlighted in the midst of an excellent run of form and after he has scored game winning goals in big moments before and after said game. Its a completely justified defence.

20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He’s struggled in a few games, to pretend otherwise is just silly. Not sure what your argument is.

Livi, Hamilton the other week, St Mirren on boxing day he got absolutely rattled against their front 2, even the Dunfermline game he was ropey as *. That’s the ones that immediately spring to mind. The first 3 examples was when he was up against physical strikers who put him off his game.

However he’s still been a great signing and one of our best players this season.

Keano88 likes this.