1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Charlie Mulgrew

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Liam Scales, Sep 26, 2011.

Discuss Charlie Mulgrew in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. imacdiar

I like him as a player and as someone mentioned no one is showing for the ball which does'nt help a decent ball playing defender.He has also been decent for Scotland playing against good opposition he's a keep for me.

2. imacdiar

He would have been a far better option in midfield than the others at least he has some composure on the ball.

3. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think I've changed my mind about letting him run his contract down and getting rid.

I think we need a huge turnover of players in the summer, he's way down the list of dross we have. He can put in a shift in a number of positions and knows what it's all about.

4. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Thought he was solid yesterday and was always trying to get forward with the ball though tried to do too much at times, pinged a few cracking balls as well which is what we need at times.

5. ChicoBhoy I love milk. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He's the least of our worries. At worst he's a dependable player who can play in a few positions and is actually a good footballer. I'd keep him.

6. Markybhoy

I definitely want big Charlie to stay at Celtic. He should be our penalty taker for the rest of this season as well.

7. Markybhoy

Why are there people on here in a mad rush to get rid of a Celtic supporting, Scottish International who can capably fill in at three or four different positions for us?

Honestly, any talk of Mulgrew being "finished" is nonsense. Mulgrew is exactly the sort of player we should be aiming to keep in our squad. I really don't get the eagerness from some people to see the back of him. Strange.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    How many lay offs has he had now?

Bit of a concern when offering out contracts for a guy in his 30's. We already need a major overhaul and we've no room for sentiments..

9. Jeffrey

Ambrose really does make him look like Maldini:56:

10. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Mulgrew is an incredibly useful asset to the club. Can play CB, LB, CM, DM or even as a defensive left midfielder in a 4-4-2. A good set-piece taker and always gives his best. At the very least he's a good squad player to have, even so I thought him and Erik were forming a relatively decent partnership together and I was interested to see how it'd do going into the qualifiers.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I'd keep him if he could be trusted to stay injury free.

He's back for two games then out for 2 months, been the same the entire season. How can you give someone like that a contract?

12. Markybhoy

He's had a few injuries but he's not exactly Darren Anderton or Derk Boerrigter.

Plus he's 30, not 35. If he was 35 I would better understand someone bringing his age into the equation. If we use Mulgrew as a centre-back(which is his best position) he could easily play to the age of 35/36. So his age is a non factor for me. There 's no sentiment involved in it either, he's a Scottish International and by far the most technically gifted centre-back at the club. He has a role to play here. Getting rid of him would be a stupid move in my opinion.

13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Look at this: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/charlie-mulgrew/verletzungen/spieler/37428

According to that he's missed 69 games over the past 2 seasons due to 5 injuries. That's * ridiculous.

14. Markybhoy

How was his injury record before that? I don't recall him being out too often. Maybe there's something in the way Ronny is training the players that is not suiting Mulgrew?

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Comparisons with Anderton and Derk aren't exactly glowing references for why he should stay..

If he's fit and performing at the back how he is now, then it's a no brainer? But he's not. He's been out about 3 time's this season now and we're not talking 1 or 2 game niggles..

If we offer him a 2 year deal, when I can easily imagine Mulgrew on close to 15 grand a week.... And he's out for half/two thirds of next season, then the offer of a contract will have been a stupid decision..

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Nowhere near as bad, however he's had thigh problems since he came here. It's certainly a worry.

17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Mulgrew has been an emotional train wreck for me this season.

From not good enough, played out of position, THAT 'walking' off incident, the rumours of being part of the clique that held the team and manager back, to recent weeks where he and erik have been solid at the back and bringing back the good memories.

Wouldn't build or rely on him as a 1st team cb, think jozo and erik will cement that next season. But think i'd be happy to see mulgrew. As one of the 2 main back up/rotational players. Sell efe and boyata and bring in another old head to bring experience to the back line. 4 cbs and then look at the youngsters for further cover.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

An emotional train wreck :56: Don't make * up in your head then, he was in no clique and he didn't 'walk off' either.

I think he's played very well at centre half this Season. Reliable, good in the air, good distribution, good in the tackle. Whilst Simunovic hasn't played or proven himself yet he'd be my first pick beside Erik for the Qualifiers.

19. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I like Mulgrew. Thought he was one of our best performers against the sheep before his injury. Be good to see him have a shot at making a CB spot his own.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Mulgrew is a good player and has a lot of experience. I think we should keep him.