1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Charlie Mulgrew

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Liam Scales, Sep 26, 2011.

Discuss Charlie Mulgrew in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. M 67

I always remembered it as Ronny got rid of him but aye, you’re right. Losing the plot in my old age!

Always rated him and was gutted he left tbh.

Artorias likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CHARLIE Mulgrew has revealed how going on a high fat diet during Ronny Deila’s time at Celtic doubled his cholesterol levels and left him concerned for his health due to a family history of heart attacks.

Mulgrew, who is in South America with the Scotlandsquad on their tour of Peru and Mexico, has become a vegan and believes he is reaping the rewards of eschewing animal or dairy products.

It a far cry from his time under Deila at Parkhead – the centre half recalled how embracing the radical eating regime the Norwegian introduced during a spell out injured had made him worried about the long-term impact on his physical wellbeing.

The Blackburn Rovers player claimed that the dietician the former Stromsgodset manager had brought in to the Glasgow club had been “brainwashed” into believing it was good for the players when he felt that exactly the opposite was the case.

“At first I thought: ‘This is keeping me trim, even though I’m injured’,” he said. “To be fair, it stripped everybody’s fat, everybody’s body fat was down. But that doesn’t necessarily mean you are fit enough.

“When I went back to play I would get injured again. I never really had the chance to say ‘this isn’t working for me’. Because I was injured so often injured you couldn’t judge it anyway.

“The dietician who came in was brainwashed to think that was the way to do it. It is hard when someone is brainwashed to then say ‘that isn’t working for me’ because they say ‘you need to do it more’.

“I have a history of heart attacks in my family. That was part of the reason I went vegan as well. I got into it after watching Netflix documentaries! They were big on not eating high fat and dairy and meat.I have just tried to educate myself on eating and that sort of stuff and I’ve felt brilliant on it.

“I got my cholesterol checked by the doctor at the club. It had doubled or something. My dad had a heart attack and his mum and dad both had heart attacks in their early 70s. I knew I couldn’t keep that going. I just changed after that.

“I think at that point you know your body and you know what’s best for you. As long as your body fat is not too high and you’re not looking unfit you can live how you want to live.”

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Broony’s said basically the same thing, he was * knackered under Ronny.

The full team were. We were unfit as *.

4. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Bring. him. home.

Artorias likes this.
  5. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Two goals tonight. Well done, big man.

6. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Mind we had a goalscoring centre back who could defend. Fun tomes that

M.E.T.H.O.D MAN and Artorias like this.
  8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Out the door without playing a game, couple years down the line we end up with Jack Hendry and are making bids for Scott * McKenna.

Wow.

Liam Scales, Artorias and RodiBhoy like this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Goals tonight

10. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Don’t mind looking for better players but we released Charlie and aren’t exactly better at the back are we?

He would have suited the playing out from the back style and he can actually take a set piece!

I know he didn’t have a great spell under Ronny but I think he would have done better under Brendan.

I know there is better defenders out there but I don’t have faith these days that we will pick the right defensive targets. Would take Mulgrew back over McKenna any day of the week. Thank * that Mckenna isn’t happening.

A quality centre half and Mulgrew in and I would be happy with at this point. Thought when he left we were really going to improve the defence but would take him back in a heartbeat.

11. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Captain of a Championship club. That's enough to give PL nightmares

12. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

was a good footballer could play out from the back good long passer could play in midifeld

thought he was slow at times with the ball at his feet though and could get disposessed because of it and his defending again on the deck was suspect for me because he was a bit combersome and long legged he seemed to be always in danger of miss timing a challenge

was there not a game away in europe where he single handledly cost us the game giving away penalties and *

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Sweet Jesus..

14. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

And he hates the Huns....

_DannyBhoy_ likes this.
  15. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    Comes from a good stock

16. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Even better :56:

17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Should never of let him go.

18. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    he's * and the amount of people wanting him back is pretty scary, the fact that he was a joke against ireland in a friendly under 0 pressure and still managed to * up, no thanks. You can shove mulgrew and terry up yer *

19. Tulf

No thanks.

20. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    He was * * when he left Rodgers was bang on to get rid of him people have short memories.