1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Charlie Hebdo shooting: At least 11 killed as shots fired at satirical magazine's Par

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by CFC_67_88, Jan 7, 2015.

Discuss Charlie Hebdo shooting: At least 11 killed as shots fired at satirical magazine's Par in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

2. Hadouken

neighbourhood watch in hebrew marked on a police styled BMW. It definitely gives off a massive * the rest of you kind of vibe.

3. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    :56:

4. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    In the UK (?) probably not, unless they have specific intelligence that there is a heightened security risk to that community. I dont know though.
    Hislop is funny I like him on HIGNFY. Hopefully he is well protected :icon_mrgreen:

5. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    The same day this happened(12 people killed in it) 40 people were killed by a suicide bomber in Yemen. The Yemen one barely even made the News then was quickly forgot about, yet this one is still going.

When they kill each other we barely give it any notice but when its our 'own' white people, then theres big discussions and outrage for weeks.

6. Dáibhí

To be fair, you can hardly expect British media to give the same level of coverage to something happening elsewhere as they would their own domestic news, can you?

7. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    It had nothing to do with colour.Not only was it a strike at something symbolic of western culture, but there were both Jews and Muslims among those killed.

8. angusceltic67

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0dkqK1pGqE&feature=em-subs_digest[/ame]

9. angusceltic67

Interesting article...

PETER HITCHENS: Don't like the PC mob? Well now that makes YOU a terror threat

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...NS-Don-t-like-PC-mob-makes-terror-threat.html

10. Wicker Bhoy

Peter and Christopher Hitchens are two if the biggest gimps that have ever learned how to spell.

11. angusceltic67

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
  12. Wicker Bhoy

The article is a complete mess, its hard to understand what laws are being pushed through. Hitchens says how it could prosecute 'thought' not deemed to be mainstream but also then says how it promotes tolerance of all people. This article is about Peter Hitchens and his beliefs in Christianity and how he thinks its not getting the attention it should be, his values are under threat. Peter's thinks his Christianity is under threat, not your freedom of thought. This is a cobbled together bit of nonsense with no real say about the true natures of the laws that government probably are discussing. The only more self-rightous, self-serving commentator was his brother who shoved atheism down your throat with the same disregard for the overall merit of something worth saying

There will be laws being discussed, that is to be expected. Hitchens article is just buzz-words and fear promotion, it makes no sense top to bottom. I hold no hope that the goverment wont try use France to push through some sort of new legislation and I doubt ill like what they'll try. I am of the firm belief that noone should be sanctioned for their words, thoughts or beliefs (unless agressive racism etc) and I think starting to muddy those waters could start a very dangerous precedent that criminalises opinion. But in saying that I found the examples Hitchens used daft rather than scary. That doesnt paint a McCarthy era picture to me but a government not sure what the * they're looking for and trying not to offend anyone in the process.

13. angusceltic67

14. Wicker Bhoy

The goverment want wider surveillance control, this was always going to happen. For the most part I dont give a * if someones reading my gmail and I dont see that as a major concern. Its been going on for so long now its been a part of your life for what may as well be forever and it hasn't affected it. I'm more concerned about government intervening in what is 'allowed' in terms of views and opinion both written and spoken. If you can be arrested for your opinion then thats us *. It should cause outrage when it does happen but alas its usually some stupid * thats tweeted something and wont garner much public outcry. The football act I believe to be a infringement on freedom of speech and laws like that one are the ones we should be most worried about

15. Wicker Bhoy

The kid who got arrested for his tweet after tje Glasgow truck crash is a prime example of a government trying to over reach their powers. The kids a scumbag but he's not a criminal

16. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I agree about Peter Hitchens, but all Christopher did was take it back to those who actually ram their views down our throats.....with interest.

17. angusceltic67

I,m all for rooting out these extremists as the pose a very real danger, but what gets me is continuation of funding and reinforcing these groups via the Syrian conflict. These so called moderate groups that the west are backing have shown time and time again that they work alongside and defecting over to the likes of ISIS, and Al-Nusra.

For me that puts these new laws that are being fast-tracked into existance in there true perspective.

It reminds me of how the Brits used to operate in the North, as they had infiltrated the RA and had intelligence on up-coming operations, but they would allow some of these operations to go ahead, so they could draft in new laws or use it as a pretext to increase security/surveilance measures.

18. BigWilly The Wildcard Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Willy
    This :50:

19. HoopSprings

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Well said.

Christopher Hitchens was nothing like his brother.

20. Wicker Bhoy

Christopher Hitchens and Peter Hitchens are almost identical when it comes to their arrogance and their penchant for dismissing people they don't deem up to their lofty standards. And their blind one-track mind in trying to push their agendas on religion are also identical, just from different sides.

Christopher Hitchens fully supported the 'War on Terror' because he hated Islam. He didn't like societies based on religion, so coming from his stance as an atheist he thought that getting rid of secularism in one country was a fully justifiable reason to go to war. A guy who had previously blamed religion for so much bloodshed now advocated it in the name of non-religion. *.

Him and his brother are the same. Different heads of the same * dragon.