1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League 22-23

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Idioteque, May 25, 2022.

Discuss Champions League 22-23 in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    It'll be Newcastle doing this in a few years...well supported teams but like city it'll be crazy amounts of Arab money to actually win stuff. I hate how our hands are tied bcoz of where we play football but I'd hate Celtic to go down the road these teams have..they're just toys to very very rich people.

blackfish likes this.
  2. leeso-ardoyne

This! Not a fan of them either and can understand the hate others have for them but to beat real Madrid like this tonight was some going. Pep is still an outstanding manager even thou he has all thst money available to him.

As for the final, I'll be wanting inter to win but I honestly can't see anything other than this being city's year and can see them winning big in the final.

3. cammy07

Don’t think it’s the fact they spend so much money, they aren’t alone in that. It’s where the money comes from and the fact they continually blatantly breach spending rules without any sniff of consequence.

Everything about Man City is fake manufactured bullshit. A great team no doubt, but a nothing club.

4. leeso-ardoyne

The irony of it we are already down that road in Scotlan in budget terms and achievemens.. Sad but true!

5. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Canny go either of the teams tbh, city have great players and all that, but always get bored watching their games.

You could say they've bought it, but you do also need a manager who knows what he's doing, chelsea is a good example, sometimes just throwing money at it isn't enough.

6. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    The one good thing is they will dominate the EPL too. For years the English fans looked down on other leagues such as Spain, France, Scotland because they were 2 horse leagues, but now the EPL will just be teams fighting for 2nd most seasons. They've already got 5 out of the last 6 and I can't see that changing much in the next few years

7. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Aye can’t argue with that, they’ve played in 2nd gear all season in the prem, yet they’ve still cruised it. Money has ruined the game.

BigWilly likes this.
  8. john2061

If Celtic were to win the conference league or Europa it's by their own budget and being good in the transfer market to find hidden gems of a player .
    The man city of this world were a mediocre team winning hardly any cups till the Arab takeover and now a unlimited amount of money to get the best players and pay them obscene amount of money a week to players and other clubs can't compete with them even the big clubs and it's like a Frankenstein monster has been created.

9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The final will be pish. I’ll be astonished if City don’t absolutely batter Inter.

10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Mediocre is being polite. They were dog * and hadn't won anything in 30 years except the Championship. I'd call them a nothing team who nearly went bankrupt.

trip2themoon and BigWilly like this.
  11. StevieBhoooy!

This Mancy shower of * club proving you can buy your way to the trophy.

The competition is dead. Between Sky, the EPL, filthy Arab Oil money and uefa themselves with their ‘wrist-slap’ financial penalties…..

…. it’s fukkn ruined.

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Doings in Champions League Finals are super rare, how many times has everyone thought there was going to be a pasting and it doesn’t materialise.

They are favourites but it won’t be easy, that’s why it’s an intriguing Final.

How far back do you need to go for this not to be the case?

The elite teams spend big on transfers and wages, City are no different to Madrid, Chelsea, Bayern or Liverpool. The last 4 winners.

13. oh bhoy

they havent won it yet!

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Hmm, that's fair.

Definitely does look like the biggest mismatch in a CL final in a long, long time though. Would love Inter to win it, but just can't see it at all. Don't think any of their players get near that City team, maybe aside from Barella or Brozovic.

15. StevieBhoooy!

Yes… you are correct … it’s not sudden… but this club epitomise (along with psg) the whole disgusting situation.

I think they are the ‘peak’ spend-to-win though…. As in… they’ve been close for a few years but not quite got there… what do you do? Bring in a couple of the most expensive and consequentially best players in the world to deal with it.

With that lot… there IS no limit. So I think we have reached a critical point (I’m assuming hey will win now) where they will spend more to try and keep that position and at the same time will just encourage the other wealthiest clubs to spend more… and more dodgy Middle-eastern money to be invested … and on and on..

Ok… 56 years has passed and the game has changed… but When you think about our bhoys, winning a domestic treble as well as the European cup in the same season… guys who were revered but paid not much more than a decent wage for the time … some of them walking, jogging or blagging a lift to training each week..

….and they beat one of the finest and wiliest Inter Milan sides ever…..

….. for me, it’s a worthless hollow achievement if you just buy your way to the same result in 2023.

littlekennie and trip2themoon like this.
  16. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Inter are a very good side.

Plenty of experience, many match winners, organised, strong in set pieces, combative, and most importantly; comfortable without the ball.

I’d be shocked if it’s a walk in the park the way people are suggesting. The underdog tag will suit them down to the ground.

Sentinel likes this.
  17. john2061

Think it's time UEFA stepped in and put a cap on spending in each specific competition to give other teams a chance as we have seen in the champions league you can almost predict the last 8 teams it's getting boring and predictable.

trip2themoon likes this.
  18. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Pep on verge of being found out yet?

19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Hope we don't draw city next year. They'll probably spend another £300m this summer on a new bench warmer.

20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    If they did that many clubs would rebel and they know it