1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League 2016-17

Discussion in 'World Football' started by StPauli1916, Jul 13, 2016.

Discuss Champions League 2016-17 in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

a few words about the game, at least the way I remember it. Juve started strongly, dictated the game and with lots of possession. Real played passively, waited for counter attacks and scored cold as ice.

Juve forgot how to play football when they stepped back on the field after the half time break. Real's quick goal stunned them completely and Juve could not step up their game. Lots of room for counter attacks and opportunities finally broke Juve's neck.

Unlucky for Juve, 2 goals after deflections. Also the red card was a joke - so were some of real's diving team. cmon man, they were * pathetic.

2. Aidan O’Shea

This is just false, I'm afraid. Great player but doesn't come close to Messi. Can Ronaldo even pass or dribble with a football? Messi is probably the best passer and dribbler of all time.

3. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

I'm not talking about all time greats, but for the past 2-3 seasons Ronaldo has been much better. Messi has looked desinterested, lackluster and moody. Ronaldo on the other hand won titles with Real and Portugal.

I agree Messi is probably the best passer and dribbler of all time, but he's been shadow of his former self recently.

4. Aidan O’Shea

Disagree, mate. Think this season Messi has been well ahead of Ronaldo.

Mystic Penguin likes this.
  5. Mr. Slippyfist

Ronaldo's goals have been part pf the reason Real have won the league and European Cup this season.

I'd say that more than trumps Messi...

The Thumb likes this.
  6. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    5 'seriously injured' in Turin crush, horrific thing to happen when you consider Juve's history with Heysel and the 39.

7. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

We agree to disagree mate. Messi scored more often this season, but he failed to deliver when it mattered most. He's been moody and on his days off the whole Barca team looked so vulnerable.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  8. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Done a billion times, but I wouldn't say he doesn't come close.

Ronaldo is as close as it gets, which is quite incredible considering how good Messi is. The fact that by the end of year they will have shared 10 Ballon d'Or's between them over the past 10 years, likely 5 each, speaks volumes.

Totally unprecedented, two of the greatest of all time, a joy to watch.

Aidan O’Shea and Mr. Fawlty like this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Messi has performed better, individually, this season.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The Mandzukic goal must be one of the best ever CL goals. Total filth.

Rendog likes this.
  11. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Just saw the Cuadrado sending off. Sergio Ramos is a total disgrace and how did the linesman not call it.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  12. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Genuinely spoils an entire game for me when that happens. Some folk won't believe this but when I think back to that game the "sending off" will pop into my mind before the Juve goal.

Gyp Rosetti and packybhoy like this.
  13. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    The key feature of the opening stages of the Champions League final on Saturday was Real Madrid suffering down their right flank. Luka Modric was forced to cover a huge amount of space, and the right-back Dani Carvajal was overloaded and overpowered by Mario Mandzukic. By the end of the night, however, Real ran out comfortable winners – with Modric and Carvajal crucial in their attacking play.

It is rare to see a European final contested between two teams using such flexible systems. Zinedine Zidane’s use of Isco rather than a half‑fit Gareth Bale meant Real set out in a fluid 4-4-2, with Isco popping up on both flanks and drifting around the pitch, essentially given a free role to ensure Real dominated possession.

Max Allegri’s Juventus system is designed to move between a three- and four-man defence fluidly, with Dani Alves pushing forward from wing-back and Andrea Barzagli pushing wider when necessary. But this looked like a fairly standard 4-2-3-1 system, albeit with Alves and Mandzukic as the two wide players – one a converted full-back, the other a converted centre-forward.

Indeed, for long periods of the first half Juventus’s shape was excellent. They were extremely compact and pressed effectively in midfield positions, with Gonzalo Higuaín and Paulo Dybala dropping back in an attempt to crowd out Real Madrid in central zones. The Italian champions started brightly, and often exploited Real’s lack of a right‑sided midfielder by knocking passes out to the Juve left-back Alex Sandro, who brought the ball forward on the outside of Modric.

However, Juve’s attacking play was somewhat rudimentary. They focused heavily on hitting long diagonal balls for the 6ft 3in Mandzukic, trying to exploit his obvious height advantage over the 5ft 8in Carvajal. He often won these aerial battles, but this did not create any significant chances. Indeed, for all Juve’s early pressure, it is arguable that they did not create a single presentable opportunity all night, finding the net only through Mandzukic’s truly extraordinary overhead kick. Aside from that, two Miralem Pjanic efforts from outside the box were all they offered.

Real steadily grew into the game, and their defensive shape improved. In the opening stages, their four midfielders were very narrow, opening up space down the flanks for Juventus, but they switched to more of a flat four‑man midfield without possession and protected their defence more effectively. Gradually, Real started to show their superiority in possession too. Isco’s movement caused problems, but the positioning of Modric and Toni Kroos was crucial – they drifted into slightly wider areas to receive the ball away from Juventus’ compact press, and started dictating play with intelligent, measured passes. Modric was particularly outstanding, slaloming away from challenges in the first half and then showing his excellent possession play later on when the game opened up.

Carvajal, too, enjoyed an excellent game. While Mandzukic was able to exploit his lack of height, the right-back took advantage of his superior pace by continually speeding forward on the overlap. This played a significant part in Real’s opener, when he showed a sudden burst of speed before laying the ball back for Cristiano Ronaldo to fire home. Real’s second goal was fortunate, Casemiro’s hopeful long-range shot taking a wicked deflection off Sami Khedira and spinning past Gianluigi Buffon, but the third goal was another example of Real’s good play down the right, with Carvajal and Modric combining, before the Croatian crossed for another Ronaldo finish from that inside-right position, this time from close range.

Juventus offered little discernible plan B. Indeed, their substitute most likely to change the game, right-winger Juan Cuadrado, endured a nightmare cameo appearance and was sent off, which opened up space for the Real left-back Marcelo to drive forward and assist Marco Asensio for Real’s fourth. Much like their 4-1 win against Atlético Madrid in the 2014 final, the margin of victory was a harsh reflection on their opponents’ efforts. But Real and Ronaldo have a handy knack of producing at decisive moments.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jun/04/dani-carvajal-luka-modric-real-madrid-victory

14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Gave it a miss, watched BGT instead .............:52:

Rendog and packybhoy like this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :56:

16. Hail_hail6767

The game is mostly won by the midfield, a few years ago Barcelona's midfield was really strong, it's nowhere near as strong now.

Real have had some stand outs such as Modrick, Isco, Casimiro even Asensio. This season, who has stood out in the Barcelona midfield?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Barry Robson likes this.
  17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Barcas * themselves trying to hold onto that front 3. It'd be a shame to loose one but putting a top class midfield behind even a top 2 of those would destroy teams even more.

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    As much as I agree that Messi is the greatest of all time, I think you might be doing Ronaldo a slight disservice. He has fantastic ability on the ball, nowadays we just don't often see it as much. That is one of the reason's I've went off him.

As he has matured, he has altered his game to become a supreme goal poacher and finisher, no longer a flashy, tricky winger who could still score incredible goals. He was more entertaining as a player when he was like that, IMO anyway. His goalscoring ability is insane though, the fact he only has 42 in 46 this season is a surprise to some highlights that.

It takes a bit for me to admit to Ronaldo's genius as I am a huge Messi fan. Still no contest though, for me, but I can't be ignorant towards CR's ability any longer, unfortunately. :56:

Liam Scales likes this.
  19. Dallas Cowbhoys

I think Ronaldo knows Messi is better, but also knew scoring a ridiculous amount of goals was the only way he could win the Ballon D'or ahead of him, so altered his game to achieve that purpose.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If Ronaldo was still trying to play as a flashy winger, he wouldn't be anywhere near as effective as he still is and everyone would be commenting that he's 'on the decline'.