1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic's Champions League season 17/18

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drakhan, May 29, 2017.

Discuss Celtic's Champions League season 17/18 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. GMS

Right I don't have a 5er to pay for gold to change my username, so for the time being I'm part of the Greenock Morton Supporters (GMS) Club.

Thanks

I'd imagine the Molde team we faced would be about a similar ability, saying that though - they did go through in our Europa group.

HTG, StPauli1916, ddub11 and 2 others like this.
  2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
  3. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Not the team they were last season by any stretch but they'd survive without doubt and would probably challenge for Europe.
    Current Cork team with Maguire would be as good as anything outwith us and Aberdeen.

4. cambridgebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It's the League of Ireland mate, the Irish League is the league where Linfield play.
    Dundalk made the Europa League group stages last season after dropping out of the Champions League having beat FH and BATE and losing to Legia Warsaw. They have lost three of their key players since then, Horgan and Boyle to Preston and Ronan Finn to Shamrock Rovers. They have won the league the last three seasons but are a distant second to my team, Cork City, this season. They are currently 12 points behind with two games more played, so their league season is over as they are well clear of the chasing pack themselves.
    I thought they were far the better team against Rosenborg and really should have won the game, conceding a terrible equaliser from a set-piece, right on the stroke of half-time. They showed they have developed some nous from playing in Europe, certainly far more than Cork City did last night in losing at home to Larnaca.
    Of the two, I think Rosenborg would be slightly easier for Celtic as I don't think there is much between the teams and there would be less of an occasion to the away leg. Obviously it would be different playing in Dublin than Windsor, but there would still be a bit of a circus feel to it, something I think we are better avoiding.

On the point of Dublin, the FAI have sanctioned a friendly between Man United and Sampdoria, in Lansdowne Road, the Thursday of the week Dundalk are scheduled to be at home, so I am not sure if the Aviva would be available. It can't be played at Dundalk's Oriel Park, that's for certain; it doesn't meet UEFA requirements for the next round.
    They have to win for that to be a problem, of course.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    StPauli1916 likes this.
  5. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Can't see Dundalk getting through. Rosenborg will be tough. We seem to struggle against Scandinavian teams and i can imagine them coming here and parking the bus and it would be a nervy night indeed if we have to go to Norway with anything less than a big lead. A clean sheet is vital for the home leg.

6. Nakamura88

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I can see us winning both legs against Rosenborg should we get them. Under Deila i would have been very nervy but this team who have played under Brendan for a whole year now give me confidence for these games.

ChrisMoh likes this.
  7. Nakamura88

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Also, hope Broony breaks Neymar's legs in the group stages.

8. BhoysInGreen

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura. Current: Van Dijk/Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry, Willie Maley
    All I've seen of Rosenborg was the Dundalk game and was a pretty lackluster affair. Never like home leg first, but hopefully we can build a good lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Yeah I know what you're saying mate, there is no dead certs in qualifiers and it just takes a bad decision to dump us out.

The big difference is the mentality under Rodgers, no matter who we're playing the team do not take the opposition lightly.

Agreed mate, we should be near full fitness for the Rosenborg game and hopefully match sharpness.

10. The Maestro

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Malley
    Was looking at some of the Rosenborg results from last season , I take it they play some kind of Scandinavian cup or something they drew 1-1 with Malmo away and beat Copenhagen 0-2 away

11. cambridgebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I would imagine they are just friendly matches as their seasons run at the same time and most of the top teams in the 3 leagues would be at a similar level. There used to be a competition a decade or so ago called the Royal League, which had the top 4 teams from Sweden, Denmark and Norway in it. It only ran for a few years and the Danes dominated it but it petered out over sponsorship, I think.
    I remember that competition being mentioned in relation to the North Atlantic league proposal that was once being suggested too.

The Maestro likes this.
  12. DonnyCelt

Don't think Rosenborg are the threat they used to be. We shouldn't have a problem against them over two legs should they progress.

13. Cmcgregor90

We play home second leg

14. GMS

You sure?

I asked this question already and I thought we were home first

15. GavCFC1

We're at home first

StPauli1916 likes this.
  16. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Honestly, i think the ties in the last few years at this stage have been harder than we think. Astana and Qarabag are fairly decent teams who were rock solid at their own grounds (imo qarabag were better than malmo that year, * knows how malmo managed to beat us). Facing rosenborg/dundalk would be a fresh change.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  17. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Merely playing devil's advocate etc

If Claudio Ranieri can win the league and grow into virtual immortality for Leicester yet be sacked under a year later for failing to continue progressing forward, and Ronnie Deila got sacked for not progressing Celtic in Europe........

Would BR be under pressure if we (* forbid) failed to get into the CL this season? It'd certainly deflate the feeling of last season's domestic treble.

Again, I 100% support the manager but in modern day football money and success talks and is at an absolute premium.

18. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    If we failed to qualify for the CL and won the Europa and the treble i'd have to say no

ScouseHoops likes this.
  19. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    On the stream i was watching the guy was putting up pics of the Pope, and Gerry Adams during the game.

hahaha

20. London Dub Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over.
    Not a chance it would cost him his job.

It would raise some eyebrows within the boardroom - of course - but he's not going to be sacked for it.

The only way he won't be here this time next year is if we don't win the league (and there's a reason why one bookmaker has already paid out and it's pointless backing us at the rest) or if he feels he has done everything he can do with us and sees the success we have enjoyed under him as a springboard back to management in England.

The latter is likely to happen before 2 more seasons have passed in my humble opinion.

ScouseHoops likes this.