1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Women’s Team

Discussion in 'Celtic F.C. Women' started by ddub11, Mar 27, 2019.

Discuss Celtic Women’s Team in the Celtic F.C. Women area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeremie Frimpong

International transfers in women's football in 2018 amounted to £375,000 in total, which is... mind-boggling. :giggle1:

Even a negligible investment in our women's team will do wonders, and, as @tarboltontim says, it is a fast-growing market.

2. Jeremie Frimpong

I would rather have seen £1.5m go to our women's team than to Dundee for Jack Hendry. :giggle1:

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It won’t be a vanity project. Celtic are finally getting with the times and actually giving a * about the women’s team.

A few years behind the curve.

BigWilly likes this.
  4. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    And if it isn’t self sufficient like the men’s team then I’m sorry it is a vanity project imo. We already struggle in this country getting people to pay to watch the men’s game, what makes you think anyone other than a very select crowd will pay to watch the women’s game.

5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Saying it would be a vanity project is part of the problem. Why shouldn't we have a women's team? We make plenty of money and are in a very good financial position. The women's team will still be getting peanuts in comparison to the men's. Jack Hendry will probably be on more than the entire first XI of the women's team when they're all signed up to professional contracts.

The women's game is growing and it's great to see us and (dare I say it) the huns actually taking it seriously now. If more men gave it a chance they might actually be surprised at the standard on show.

6. Jeremie Frimpong

I'd go along to games in the summer and during international breaks if I knew how to purchase tickets. The club has to do a better job promoting our games to supporters.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I think that side of things will definitely improve now. They released footage of Alonso's first training session on YouTube earlier and have been announcing a few signings on both the women's and men's team Twitter feeds.

8. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    It’s a waste of money imo just like you think Griffiths has been for a period of time, just because we make money on the back of the men’s team doesn’t mean we should be wasting it elsewhere. And I’m sorry I’ve tried to watch women’s football and it is a really poor standard. There are numerous results out there of professional woman’s teams being beaten by unders male teams.

9. Jeremie Frimpong

I hope so. I like to see us strive for excellence in any venture that we undertake.

Officer Doofy likes this.
  10. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    That’s fine but I honestly can’t see it getting big crowds, I have a hard enough time giving my season ticket away for our games just now if I can’t make it.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Waste of money. Jesus. So girls shouldn't bother playing football then and trying to make a career out of it? What a load of bollocks.

Your example at the end there could also be used for men and women's tennis, basketball, rugby etc. So should we stop paying women for those sports as well but they're not as good as men? This constant comparison between men and women's football is nonsense and an easy excuse for people to laugh it off as a legitimate sport, which it absolutely is.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  12. Jeremie Frimpong

Female MMA fighters, and female tennis players, cannot compete with men in those fields either, but the sports have grown to attract sizeable audiences, and they are, in my opinion, at least as entertaining as the men's sports.

Women's football has had a much slower start than women's MMA and women's tennis, but it is certainly on the up.

13. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Did I say that they shouldn’t try to have a career? I am saying we have a hard enough time being a profitable business in Scotland. Like it or not the reason the woman’s team is being funded will be because of money made by the men’s team. I don’t think the market is there in a country of this size tbh, and yes I think it’s a waste of money if not self sufficient. Just as you think Griffiths is a waste of money it’s called an opinion, just as I think the standard is poor and doesn’t seem to be improving much even given the funding it is receiving.

14. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I’ll give you women’s tennis but I think women’s football has been professional in certain countries before women’s MMA. I have no problem with our women’s team going professional but it has to pay for itself and not rely on money from other parts of the business.

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Well if it should be scrapped because it's a waste of money then, aye you did. We don't really have that hard a time being profitable. How long have we been saying we should speculate to accumulate more often? For how many years have we had heaps of deadwood doing * all and collecting a tidy wage? Financially it would appear we're absolutely fine. Like I said, Hendry's wage alone could pay for an entire first XI in the women's team. It's * all money in the grand scheme of things but absolutely life changing to the women being paid and will help grow the women's game and therefore draw bigger crows and more money.

You keep bringing Griffiths up...he's got nothing to do with this. Albeit his wages would have been more useful going into the women's team these last couple of years for sure. Women's football is absolutely improving and will continue to do so. And btw, the funding it's receiving isn't much.

16. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    You are surmising I said something which I didn’t, I clearly explained I don’t think there is the market for it in this country. No one said it should be scrapped did they? Could you give me some figures? Seeing as you clearly know the money involved isn’t that much. And your statement about Griffiths wages being better going to the women’s game is laughable.

17. Jeremie Frimpong

My point is that women's MMA and women's tennis have been growing alongside the men's sports for much of their history.

The FA and SFA banned women's football between 1921 and 1971, so there has been an enormous asymmetry between the development of the men's game and the women's game in this country.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Here's some figures...

Ada Hegerberg (2018 Ballon d'Or winner) earns around £343k a year and she's the highest paid female footballer. The best and the highest paid.

Lionel Messi on the other hand apparently earns around £112 million per year - 362 times what Hegerberg is paid.

Jack Hendry - a dud of the highest order and one who has sat in our reserves for months - seemingly earns about £321k a year. So £30k less than the best female footballer on the world.

Think it's fairly safe to say the Celtic women's players would be on peanuts in comparison to even our duds.

£24 million was awarded to the competing teams at last years Women's World Cup. £315m to the teams at the 2018 World Cup.

So aye, the money involved really isn't that much at all in comparison the money being invest in men's football.

19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

In any case, if you want to talk about vanity projects - we spunked £4m on disco lights that, as good as they are, weren't exactly needed.:giggle1:

20. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Where’s the figures we are paying though? You stated it wasn’t much. And are you seriously going to try and compare Messi’s wages to the top female player? The men’s game brings in huge amounts of money compared to the women’s, funnily enough the exact reason our women’s side is going professional. There’s an irony if ever there was one.