1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic vs FC Salzburg- Thurs, Nov 27, KO 8:05pm CP time. (BT sports1)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by BhoysInGreen, Nov 22, 2014.

Discuss Celtic vs FC Salzburg- Thurs, Nov 27, KO 8:05pm CP time. (BT sports1) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

They got humped 4-1 a couple of weeks ago off Cashpoint Altach, think they're worrying?

Our back 4 aren't a shambles, it's one of the strongest parts of our team made up of some of our best players.

2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    These qualifiers are tricky, also teams from some countries (like ours) often aren't at their best that early in the season and Malmo will have been halfway through their season. Christ, have we not learned that by now from our own qualification campaigns!

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Juve cheated us, Milan I'll give you and we beat Legia 3 nil!

4. Dallas Cowbhoys

I wasn't really referring to the Malmo game, more that they never play in the Champions League or latter stages of the Europa League.

So I'm not sure why some make out they're some amazing team who'll wipe the floor with us.

I doubt many people on here watch the Austrian league.

They're a good team with some dangerous players but we shouldn't fear them.

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Juve probably cheated us out of maybe one goal in that game with their fouling Hooper, etc in the box. They scored 3. Warsaw was a technicality. We've had our arses handed us at home 3 times in 2 years. We are not the force we once were. I don't think Red Bull Salzburg will hammer us either, I think it'll be a tight game and I hope we can pull off a fantastic win. All I'm saying is that nobody is in a position to "guarantee" that they won't hammer us.

6. Moros

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mohamed Bangura.
    Aye, I'm just being half serious. Should have been pretty obvious when I said we should be taking six off them.

While Salzburg are a good side I do feel some people are getting a bit carried away with them, when it comes to Europe they're a bit hit and miss. They've also lost four games in the Austrian League this season so we shouldn't be seeing them as some sort of formidable force we're coming up against.

Give them the respect they deserve as they are a good side, but I wouldn't say we're miles apart from each other in terms of quality. They are capable of taking a few off most teams because of the way they play, but as you've seen with some of their European results, they are more than beatable.

Our last 16 team under NL would have beat them, but we've regressed since then. Even though we've regressed, we still managed a draw against them in Austria with our current team so why shouldn't we be confident of beating them at home.

My biggest worry is us rather than them, our two home group games have been less than impressive even though we got the wins. We'll have to improve on those performances because while I think people are overrating Salzburg, they are a step up from the other two teams in the group and I doubt they'll let us off the hook the way Dinamo Zagreb and Astra did.

7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Really good, well-balanced assessment IMO. :50:

8. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

i think we escaped there ground with a draw rather than it being an even game

we have to treat them with all respect but i wouldnt like us fearing anyone

dont think we should play players that havent any pace like commons or stokes though! we need a strong team with pace, agility and good movement

im in two minds how we play it think its a must we have a strong centre midfield or we will just get overrun i think we should play tight centrally

4321 rather than our usual 4231 but it means no johansen

gordon GK, lustig RB, denayer CB, vvd CB, emilio LB, brown CM, kayal CM, mulgrew CM, forrest ACRM, wakaso ACLM, scepovic CF

it would be good to see the big man get support from forrest and wakaso

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
  9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I couldn't guarantee Barcelona would hammer Alloa but I'd still say it.

The exaggerating was based on the fact someone said they WILL hammer us, which you seem to be refusing to pick up on. I'm well aware I can't make that stonewall guarantee as are you.

Oh and Juve cheated us, the worst display of refereeing I have ever seen by any ref at Parkhead either European or domestically. They kicked, pulled and shoved us for 90 minutes.

10. Moros

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mohamed Bangura.
    Cheers. I have my moments. :icon_mrgreen:

11. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    Looking forward to this one and having Forest and Commons back is a bonus. Can't see it being easy, far from it but so long as we get the win and qualify I'll be going home happy.

12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    You said that, if we got a big crowd, "we can beat them with ease" and that you "guaranteed" that they wouldn't hammer us. Regardless of what anyone else said to provoke you, I don't believe such statements are very sensible.

Edited to correct error pointed out by PaulM1888 below.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Few and far between, mate. It's not really good enough. :38:

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I said we can, actually. Which we can.

Not very sensible attributing things in quotation marks which don't exist.

15. Moros

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mohamed Bangura.
    :asshole2:

:smiley-laughing002:

16. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    My mistake. Sorry. I will amend my post. Nevertheless, in context (i.e. in a sentence containing "with ease"), that "can" doesn't really read like possibility. It still reads as a rather silly thing to say. We can definitely beat Salzburg, but what exactly does it mean to say "we can beat them with ease"? The reason for my error is because I remembered the meaning I took from what you wrote and, for me, it means almost the same thing with "can".

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  17. Damnati

I think Salzburg are a much better team than they are getting credit for. On match day 1, we were very lucky to catch them on an off day and get two goals from nothing.

18. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Hard to tell how it will go I think, the first game against them was played at a really slow pace and we looked comfortable. If it's the same with us at home we should win but you never know, they seem to prefer counter-attacking as thats how I mind seeing them skelping Ajax last season.

19. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Teams have off days ,it happens.

Our defence this season is made up of 4 good players (lustig, virgil,denayer and emilio ) but this season as a unit they've been a shambles compared to last season especially when you consider the players on it have gotten stronger.

the * about of virgil in the last game is the reason we aren't through right now,we didn't get a clean sheet at home to astra because of a defensive * up of again giving them too much time and we have to thank gordon for having two world class performances in the first two games to get us 4 points.
    Now can you see why im worried about a team coming to Parkhead who scores goals for fun.

20. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Is that some Scotland circa 2010 formation 4-6-0