1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League Celtic v Shakhtar Tuesday October 25TH Kick off 8Pm

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Oct 22, 2022.

Discuss Celtic v Shakhtar Tuesday October 25TH Kick off 8Pm in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. adequate citizen Zenon Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Trust me - I would rather have the team performance doing the talking...
    I don't see this tweet in such negative light though.

NomDePlum likes this.
  2. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  3. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    Some of you are saying we'll do better next season, I canny see much changing until we get a better standard of player in.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  4. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The big problem is that the correct words are "unless if" instead. These poor results aren't going to make us get noticed, or interesting to better quality players.

World Champion likes this.
  5. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

or we get better

Anyone else notice how the comentator was bigging up donetsk because of how young they were ? well we are a pretty young team ourselves!

We could really have done with getting into the europa though for more experience against better opposition than we get domestically, i think you cant discount just how poor our domestic football is and how it doesnt prepare players in anyway for playing at higher level football, that means our players arent tested properly enough.

When we started this champions league we started like a house on fire, winning possession lots from donestsk in poland early on with fantastic pressing but continually fluffing the next lines, if we had better opposition to play and train against domestically we could fine tune parts of our game and really work on the composure and finishing in them crucial moments of the game.

They say thats why the rich teams pay the big bux 50 to 100 million for strikers because they finish in big, high pressure moments, in big games

We will always miss more chances than the richer teams but we can surely do better than we have in this campaign, think the worst thing we can do is overthink it and change our game and i do think we changed our game last night, maybe because we were missing some key players but we were definitely much much slower last night than we can be and have been.

If we keep playing that fast no nonsense attacking football that we have seen under Ange, the players WILL start taking more of the chances but when we miss the players have got to try not to let it effect their confidence and just keep getting up and trying again and maybe we as fans have to not be so hypercritical.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    World Champion likes this.
  6. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I wish we were playing like that in Europe. Instead, we are often too scared to play no-nonsense stuff (long passes instead of a slow buildup). Regarding players taking chances- psychologists may try and work with them on confidence and composure.

7. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I know I'm always going on about it but our team lack height as well as physicality - especially at this level.

Twisty likes this.
  8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We looked far bigger and more imposing than Shaktar coming out the tunnel and in the line up.

Made zero difference to last nights game, their 1 big imposing striker got bodied regularly by CCV.

9. vortex666

Just seeing how next season the New champions league format the Swiss model it's looks to me its made for the big teams and * the rest. One league 36 teams we would play 8 different teams 4 at home and 4 away. Very interesting to see how this works. Really don't think it will help us at all

NomDePlum likes this.
  10. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Interesting. Haven't seen anything on that change. We'd be guaranteed 2 more games which would be a financial benefit surely?

11. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Financially better off. The new system would have no teams drop from group stage to Europa too. Teams 1-8 go to last 16, teams 9-24 go to last play off with 9-16 being seeded. I think the Europa league and Conference change too. Imagine Hearts having to play 10 rather than 6 European games.

12. PaddyJamieson

Bit of perspective now after the other night.

Was a poor performance overall, in some ways our worst this whole campaign. I think there were factors for that. We really missed McGregor who does a lot more defensive work than we give him credit for. I understand Ange going all out and it worked first half, but we were far too open on the break second half. We also missed Jota a * - bringing the subs on killed the game.

Worst thing for me though was the total lack of composure going forward, and this has been a running theme. We still played some excellent football from back to front, some brilliant one touch interplay, but when it came to the final ball just seemed to panic like *, weird wee flicks or panicky * balls to nowhere.

Despite what some folk are saying I thought our press generally worked really well. They looked shaken and more often than not punted it long or lost it in their half. They played through it sometimes aye, but that will happen. We play through other teams' press too, it's part of modern football. No press is perfect.

13. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    The team that get beat in play off drops into Europa surely ? I posted earlier in the month the new format should bring a n close to 54 million pounds to Celtic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Honestly m8? Even some of the ball boys looked taller that our players. The fact that we never won one header from a corner and/or cross (even though some of our crosses were *) clearly shows the lack of height in our team and their one big striker looked well off the pace all night.

15. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Still got this format for next season! That new format kicks in 24/25. Looks interesting to say the least

16. HatsmyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    If we play 8 teams, does that not make it 4 groups of 9, rather than one league of 36 ?

17. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    All goes into one big league table even though we don’t play everyone fixtures get drawn out a hat and teams 9 to 24 doom it out in a play off so technically theirs 12 games if we finish in position 9 -24

Given theirs 13-14 elite teams usually in cl then leaves 10 possible spots up for grabs for a team like Celtic problem is theirs other teams same level or higher in that category
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Dip 'n' Swerve

naïve team bit wet behind the ears.
    out of play shak got into team shapes and roles, the defended and played 'cute' taking yellows and passing players on to take them... GG was away in the midfield and one of their players too the yellow.

They only had one player, in the first 10 min could we not have let him known he was in for a fight, think scott brown into a meaty challenge?

frustrating 5 yard passes and flicks in their half from our non functioning midfield.
    corners and set pieces no real intent or shots on target.
    poor crossing
    abada cannot beat a player or wants to track back
    i think ralston rb with JJ in front to man mark their best player could have been a shout
    if kyogo was sharper it should have been 2-1.

many of our players lack core strength or a real fight to keep hold of the ball, frustrating at times.

taylor played very well and ccv looked composed.

their goalscorer is like a young ronaldo and can be seen with a 40/50mill bid in jan or summer, when he gets going there is no stopping in.

3rd season in europe next year for ange - same story again and again

we did miss jota and mc gregor, but ideally i would love a direct strong winger.

in jan who would we want in? another physical striker? a centre half? a sitting midfielder? or use the big dane more?

the focus on the league and cups.

19. Dip 'n' Swerve

big greek let one fly, a few yards higher and it was in the postage stamp. i agree even a whipped in cross ball low and hard, look how we scored.

From their goal it was our free kick, why was it not ripped into the box instead of * footing and tippy tappy * at the edge of the D that cost us with so many of the team pushing forward.

NomDePlum likes this.