1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic TV Domestic Subscription

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Blochairnbhoy, May 4, 2020.

Discuss Celtic TV Domestic Subscription in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    So if celtic have to play behind closed doors to start the season I have been having a think about the absolute best way to watch home matches.

the governing bodies are going to relax the no football in UK at 3pm rule.

say we have 10 home games between August and December what do you think is a fair price to charge for a package and Price per match?

I was thinking £135 if you sign up to all 10 and matches only and £15 per match.

say you get 50,000 packages sold that’s £6.75m what’s your opinions? Obviously it’s a third of what season tickets bring in! But if you then get half a season of fans you would get say £10m in ST so just a potential funding gap of around £5m

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  2. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The problem is that pretty much every game played by Celtic will be televised, BT and Sky would not allow this.
    I don't think £135 is that bad but I don't think I could justify spending it.

Peej likes this.
  3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I would still be concerned about the Tv deals and what the Tv companies would say to this, they'd be losing out in this I would imagine.

but that aside:

£135 would be helluva steep for a ten match package for a streaming service in essence.
    I've always been a fan of Celtic going solo with a tv deal and doing a streaming subscription to the domestic fans as well. £20 a month, but give us full access to womens, reserve/dev/u18 football and a proper match day behind the scenes build up, more fan engagement and player interviews before/after training during the week etc.

If we are to do a package deal for a remainder of a season as such, then I reckon it needs to be more in line with a price point like this - £20 a month you'd expect 4-5 games, so maybe make it £40-50 for the package?

4. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I mean home matches

5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Possibly but just thinking in pure terms of finance maybe a PPV at £10 a game

Peej likes this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Would probably be more appealing to folk, some games won't be in as high demand, but I'd imagine quite a few will buy in to it.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I always picture your posts being read by the guy in your wee picture.

A select few I.e. Hun games and potential league deciders are all you’ll ever get from Celtic Park in the domestic league season.

8. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

In a normal league season aye one with no fans though might be different

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

My point being that not every Celtic game would be televised under the current broadcasting deal with BT and Sky.

I’m aware that everything has and will change when football returns.

Cena likes this.
  10. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
  11. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

If they were to show 3pm home games on Celtic TV live in the UK then aye you couldn’t really argue with them prices :50:

Would keep some sorta income coming in on match days, and if it a quality enough stream I’m sure most fans would be happy.

12. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I wouldn't pay £15 per game, think that's steep, a £10 a game I think would be fairer.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  13. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Best way forward is to allow all teams to stream their own games at a capped price, same as ticket sales the away team get a split of the money.

For this we would have to cancel the Sky and BT deals until games are no longer behind closed doors. Scottish football can’t survive without ST money, simple as that since our tv deal is * all in the grand scheme of things.

I would say charge £5 per game to watch, the low price would encourage more viewers to pay instead of illegal streams so £5 for 19 home games that’s £95. Celtic could easily get 100K viewers for games. Possibly more for bigger games and less for smaller games.

So that’s at least £9.5M from home games alone. The trouble here is lack of production like you get with BT especially.

Other option is an Spfl channel that’s on Sky and online. Trouble here is the cost and how much teams could make or miss out on.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'd definitely pay a package to guarantee game's..

From a selfish point of view it would cut out the brutal streaming from this season particularly and sportsound..

I think it's inevitable we'll have the start of next season being given this option for the run of the mill home game's..

15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The other thing to consider is that 54k season ticket holders have already paid for these home games.... Do they get this for free, do they get a refund on their season ticket or do we expect them to pay twice for the game?

I'm sure a lot wouldn't be bothered about the last few games of this season, keep the money in the club and all. But I'd we start to discuss season ticket holders paying twice for a product before the season starts, I think you'll find a few folk up in arms about it.

My hope is that the games get played behind closed doors to see out this season and we sell them at a price per match deal, we generate income then that signals to the spfl board that we can actually make a success out of doing this ourselves.

We really don't need to be reliant on a * third party TV deal when internet streaming services are as good as they are now.
    Be that going with Amazon or better yet, just setting up our own service as a league.
    Sorry, tangent to the original point.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I wouldn't want a refund either for last season or this one but if games are behind closed doors and on Celtic TV then I'd think they would have to offer that free to book holders as a courtesy.

I think they might be wary of publishing details of streaming games too early in case it dissuades people renewing their books.

If you, your partner and 2 kids are looking at circa £1500 for buying 4 season books that you might not get to use for a few months or £150/200 for an annual CelticTV pass that gives you access to all the games from the comfort of your own home, then plenty will go for the 2nd option.

Westlondonscot, Gyp Rosetti and Peej like this.
  17. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Honestly, if we set up a Scottish football channel I'm sure it would generate far more than sky give the league, as long as it had all cups in it too. Add in some old games etc. I'm surprised leagues haven't gone down this route.

FranceCelt, MagicBallBhoy and Peej like this.
  18. horseshoe

If it's looking like behind closed doors is the only way forward for the start of next season, you'd think sky would sit down with clubs, get bbc/itv at the table even, or an established streaming platform like amazon, and work out a short term deal to get more games shown, especially with the 3pm blackout being utterly pointless if fans can't go. Sky obviously already have their deal done for X amount of games over the season and takes priority, they get their pick of games as they would normally, but that still leaves a * of a lot of football going untelevised to the benefit of nobody.

19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Exactly.
    A full all games live service, with 2weeks for folk to rewatch before being removed.
    Add in live streaming of old classic games like a "spflTV" channel and interject with too teams able to have a 30-45minute weekly segment for player interviews and the likes.
    Followed up with all press conferences streamed live as well.
    SpflTv charged at £20 a month with even just 100k subscribers would see £24million direct to the league, sky are offering £32mill for the new deal, which is great. But let's be honest 100k is a very very low estimate to be fair.
    150k just from Scotland would be £36million and outdo the sky deal easily.

It's things like this I wish we done more of, and I think Doncaster doesn't have the balls for. Too happy to just accept the money from sky or whoever because it's less risk and sees the men upstairs happy.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think Celtic and Rangers would bring in 100,000 alone. You could also have advertising, not as much as sky but this show brought to you by FIFA 21 or anything really.
    You could use it to promote Highland and Lowland leagues and to promote Women's football. I think it would be so beneficial to Scottish football as a whole.

FranceCelt and Peej like this.