1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic to host charity match for MND

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Mar 2, 2020.

Discuss Celtic to host charity match for MND in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Just seen it there.
    May 8th at Celtic park

Nice to see

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC manager, Neil Lennon and rugby legend, Doddie Weir today launched – on behalf of Celtic FC Foundation and the My Name’5 Doddie Foundation - a fantastic fundraising football match, to support research and other initiatives aimed at tackling Motor Neuron Disease (MND).

The Lions’ Roar Charity Match, will take place at Celtic Park on Friday, May 8, 2020 (KO: 7pm) – and will see the worlds of football, rugby and entertainment join forces, United Against MND.

The net proceeds of The Lions’ Roar Charity Match will be devoted to fighting MND through two equal beneficiary charities - Celtic FC Foundation (in memory of Jimmy Johnstone) and the My Name’5 Doddie Foundation.

The two Foundations will pull together opposing legends’ squads including a number of familiar faces from both football and rugby, and also a few celebrity supporters.

The passion and commitment of the Celtic support will be largely driven by the loss of our Greatest Ever Celt, the legendary Jimmy Johnstone.

Jinky signed for his beloved Celtic in November 1961 and, during an illustrious 14 years, made a total of 515 appearances for the club, scoring an impressive 130 goals. The pinnacle of that was, of course, the European Cup triumph on May 25, 1967 when Celtic beat Inter Milan 2-1.

Lisbon Lion Jinky, however, wasn’t content with just making his mark on that prestigious competition, and on Wednesday, June 7, 1967, in the Bernabeu Stadium, he and his team-mates provided the opposition for the great Alfredo Di Stefano’s testimonial. The legendary Read Madrid player may have been the focus of the night, but it was Jinky who grabbed all the headlines with a breathtaking display that had the Madrid fans shouting ‘Ole!’ at his every touch.

He remained an immensely popular figure amongst the Celtic support who, in 2003, voted him the Greatest Ever Celt. By that time, however, he was suffering from MND. He faced that battle against the toughest of opponents with incredible bravery and courage, always strengthened by the support of his family and the convictions of his faith.

Sadly, Jimmy Johnstone passed away on March 13, 2006, and the Celtic support, as well as the wider footballing world, mourned his passing. A statue of Jinky now stands outside the front of Celtic Park as a permanent memorial and a reminder to future generations of a wonderful player.

And for rugby fans, there is no greater name than Doddie Weir OBE, who is one of the sport’s most recognisable and much loved personalities. He earned 61 caps for Scotland during a successful playing career, represented the British and Irish Lions on their successful tour of South Africa in 1997, and won championships with his two club sides, Melrose and Newcastle Falcons.

A talented, committed and athletic lock forward, Doddie is now facing his biggest challenge. In June 2017 the Scot revealed he was suffering from MND. From the outset, Doddie has been driven to help fellow sufferers and seek ways to further research into this, as yet, incurable disease.

In November, 2017, Doddie and his Trustees launched the My Name’5 Doddie Foundation which aims to aid research into the causes of MND, investigate potential cures and to support individuals suffering from MND.

Agnes Johnstone, Jimmy’s widow said: “Our family is so honoured that Jimmy’s legacy and memory is now being used in such a positive way to help others. Like Doddie, Jimmy faced a huge fight against MND and he tackled his challenge with real courage and determination.

“We would like to thank Celtic and Doddie for all their great work in supporting the fight against MND. Doddie is a true inspiration to us all and our family are watching with genuine admiration. We hope as many people as possible support Doddie and Celtic through this great event, so that so many other deserving people can benefit.”

Doddie Weir added: “It is a great honour and privilege to have the My Name’5 Doddie Foundation associated with Celtic and their long-established charity, Celtic FC Foundation.

“We have only been in existence for less than three years, but in that time we have raised over £5m, all of which has gone to helping in the fight against MND, in the shape of funding towards research across the country, extensive drug trials, the purchasing of drugs, and, to directly help fellow MND sufferers and their families.

“For many of us, MND first came to our attention more than a decade ago when Celtic and Scotland legend Jimmy Johnstone eventually succumbed to this horrible condition. Little was known about MND then compared to now, however, in terms of a cure or positive treatment, little has advanced on that front.

“Other high-profile sportsmen have had their lives blighted and ultimately ended by MND, thus far, an incurable disease. However, our fight to find a cure will continue, but to achieve that we must keep MND and our battle against it in the public eye, something this footballing spectacle will achieve.

“What do I know about football? Well, I am very proud about having represented Stow Amateurs as goalkeeper – played one, one clean sheet. And then retirement! But some of those participating in this match carved a career for club and country and I’m sure will show they have lost none of their magic on the night.”

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell added: “Everyone at Celtic is delighted to be staging and supporting Celtic FC Foundation and the My Name’5 Doddie Foundation in this fantastic event, with two great men in our thoughts.

“Doddie is a true sporting great, a Scotland hero and a man of immense courage. He is someone who is demonstrating such determination and his vision of helping others while facing such adversity is truly inspirational and should be applauded by us all.

“Likewise, our very own Jimmy Johnstone dealt with his own fight with such dignity and humility. Jimmy will always be remembered as our Greatest Ever Player, but also as a truly great man with such strength of character.

“On May 8, we will honour and celebrate the courage and spirit of two great men and at the same time all join forces to make a positive difference to the lives of so many more.

“We hope that as many people as possible join us in supporting this great event, fans of any team across rugby or football, new visitors to Celtic Park, indeed anyone who wants to be part of a wonderful cause and fantastic tribute to two great sporting icons.”

Tony Hamilton, Chief Executive of Celtic FC Foundation, said: “Doddie Weir is a truly inspirational character, he’s shown tremendous courage in the past few years and he’s decided to take his battle with MND head on, in the same way he did throughout his playing career. We’re sadly very familiar with MND and we witnessed our Greatest Ever Player, Jimmy Johnstone, fight the same battle.

“We are delighted at Celtic FC Foundation that Doddie's charity are partnering with us for this match in May. It will hopefully provide a platform for both organisations to help other MND sufferers with some of the support that they and their families will desperately need in the coming years.

“I am very grateful to all of our supporters for the way they continually back what we are trying to do at the Foundation, and hopefully they can respond to this match and make it a huge success for everyone connected with Celtic and Doddie Weir."

Tickets for The Lions’ Roar Charity Match are now on sale to Celtic FC season ticket holders, on a first come first served basis, priced at £14 for adults and £6 for concessions*.

Tickets will go on general sale from 11am on Monday, March 16.

Accessible Seating season ticket holders who wish to purchase their seats for this match can do so from 11am on Monday, March 23. Subject to availability, Accessible Seating will go on general sale from 11am on Monday, March 30. Tickets are priced £10 wheelchair/ambulant and carer is free of charge.
    http://www.celticfc.net/news/17629

3. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Superb cause, great to see the club involved.

Bizarre it isn't a general sale straight away :39:

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Some people are precious about their seat and greet when they get moved for these things.

There's a few moany fuds near me that moaned for months that they didn't get to see Broony's testimonial in their usual seat.

5. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Very good cause, hope it's a great day with loads of dosh raised for both charities.

6. angusceltic67

7. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Well done to all involved.

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Big Doddie Weir, cracking guy, well done Celtic. :50:

9. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I’m sure I saw him on telly last years 6 nations and he’s changed so much since then. It’s so heartbreaking. Definitely going along!

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Good stuff..

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

• REGRETTABLY, due to today’s decision in respect of this season’s remaining football calendar and the disruption to everyday life through the COVID-19 outbreak, Celtic FC Foundation and My Name’5 Doddie Foundation have taken a joint decision to postpone the charity legends match, The Lions’ Roar - United Against MND, which was scheduled for Friday, May 8.

We are so grateful to those supporters who have already purchased tickets for the match and we will offer a full refund. Online and booking line sales will be refunded automatically. Those who purchased tickets directly from the Celtic Ticket Office should return tickets there so that a refund can be processed. Opening hours are 11am-2pm, Monday-Friday (subject to COVID-19 restrictions).

In consultation with Doddie Weir and his team, Celtic FC Foundation will arrange a new fixture date and confirm full details – including a host of exciting names who have already committed their support - as soon as possible.

Celtic FC Foundation Chief Executive, Tony Hamilton, said: “There is a lot of uncertainty and upheaval caused by the outbreak of Coronavirus. Understandably, people are not looking as far ahead as May, and are currently concentrating on their families and colleagues.

“Both Foundations have agreed that the most sensible thing to do at this stage is to postpone until such times as we can put on an event that is befitting of the cause.

“It’s vital that we fill Celtic Park for this match and that remains our aim, but only when it’s right for everyone including Doddie Weir, the players, supporters and all staff at the Club and the Foundation associated with making this happen.

“We are fully committed to hosting this match at Celtic Park when there is a chance to raise funds for those who are suffering from MND, and to pay tribute to our own Jimmy Johnstone and the enormously brave and inspirational Doddie Weir."

Doddie Weir added: "I completely understand the situation and where the priorities are at the moment. What’s important for people is their health and their families.

"All of us at both Foundations are very disappointed that we have to postpone this match, but the fact that we’ll have a chance to do it when the timing is right means that we'll still get an opportunity to make a big impact where it’s needed.

“My thanks to everyone who has supported us to this point and I look forward to the plans for the new date and to the match itself."