1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Dec 17, 2010.

Discuss Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    We will have a review and announce the outcome. Months later no mention of the review, if there even was one(highly doubtful).

Not even the usual pishy statement, like Aberdeen released with regards to unrest about Derek McInnes.

Ross County, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, and Livingston. Have all acted at some point to turn over a downturn or trend of consistent underperformance of their clubs. All with records, that Neil Lennon can compete with and top in some instances.

Yet we can't get public comment about this review, not even from Lawwell who is offski in a matter of months.

Build a statue by Christ. :38::38:

johnboy19 likes this.
  2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Bang on with the banner.

terrasidius, TheHappyLoss and Peej like this.
  3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Can't wait for the easily offended and faithful through and through uber tims to clock this.

"you can't call them parasites, thats personal attacking, how dare you!"

Banner is spot on, as per usual with the GB (and to be fair other supporter groups at other times as well) when it comes down to this sort of stuff and properly backing the team in the stands, they are pretty much also spot on!

4. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    have had many issues with the GB over the past few years. Not limited to them refusing to rid their ranks of ned's setting off fireworks and smashing chairs at away games, and what not ...

But right now...

* adore them.

They're keeping the pressure up on the board who are using Covid as an excuse for inaction and ineptitude.

Banner is exceptional.

Right where everyone can see it, right where photos of it will be shared all over.

When the chips are down, you know who you're real friends are.

Peej likes this.
  5. jambo_cfc

Fair play to them ! Maybe some of the people who think they are only interested in causing havoc rather than having the best interests of the club will take note !!

Only if the board shown as much effort !

class banner an straight to the point !! Well done gb !

Peej likes this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Think it works good for them to get their message across because they dont have the tag alongs in the stadium just being dicks.

The only other thing I disagree with them doing IN the stadium, is the political stuff like the anti-poppy things.
    I mean, I totally agree with their stance, as most of us do, but time and place for it.
    Celtic don't wear one, so pointless doing it in our own stands - go down to Parliament, or campaign outside the Poppy Scotland offices in your own name, not that of Celtics.
    It's a small thing that annoys me, but on the whole they bring a lot of colour, atmosphere, noise, brilliance to the stands and when it comes to standing up against this board, they are always there and capture the mood 9 times out of 10.

7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    There never really was a review, that much is clear now, so in that respect the Board are liars, it's a shambolic way to treat supporters.

8. murphy88

Lennon had one on this season. It was the game away to Motherwell.

Peej likes this.
  9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

It would make zero sense to campaign outside Parliament re the issue. People have personal choice to wear them.

Celtic as a football club were being imposed to do so by the Poppy Fascists.

The same people who would defend Rugby or Football players rights not to take the knee, would be the same ones spitting feathers at us not wearing a poppy.

I agree with the GB. I don't want any blood-stained poppy anywhere on our hoops by fascist imposition.

If a player feels strongly enough that they want to wear.one on their top or trackie then fire away.

10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Aye, sort of my point in a round about way.

As a club we don't enforce wearing it like other clubs do, I imagine that is to do with the obvious known dislike (to be mild) from the vast majority of our support, be that the board out of respect or fear of a backlash.
    But in the same way the club doesn't enforce it, neither should (just in my opinion) the support be so grand in their anti-poppy protests within the stadium.

11. TheHappyLoss

Like Johnny Rotten once said, you ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?

12. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    :57::57::57:

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

You're contradicting yourself here.

If a player's conviction is such that they want to wear a poppy, that's their right, however unpalatable that might be to some.

Similarly it's the right of another individual to voice their opinion on it too, however unpalatable that might be to the player or fellow supporter.

The argument of 'protest but please just don't do it at Celtic Park' carries no water. The debate has already been injected into Football via poppies being worn, minutes silences, teams getting the British Army plus cannons on their pitch pre-match. Poppy protests are as a result of that imposition.

The Poppy means different things to different people. If some people view at simply as a sign of respect to the dead of WW1 and WW2 then fine.

But the Poppy Scotland definition states it's a sign of respect for all British war dead which also includes those killed during British Imperialism which wrought death and misery around the globe.

Our club has effectively been borne out of that disgusting Imperialism, exporting food supplies.out of Ireland during the famine; killing 1 million and displacing many more.around the world, including the East End of Glasgow.

In my opinion it's therefore reasonable that some of our supporters will never be happy at any association of our club with the Poppy.

simpy, neilly1987, LTPS and 1 other person like this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    As a football club we donate more money towards that than any other in Scotland. They just don’t enforce it on the strip when it became a choice, so we don’t ‘embarrass’ them.

neilly1987 and Seán Mac D like this.
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
  16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

That's the thing. That donation is actually going towards properly helping people, wearing a poppy does little other than the £1 donation for the tin.

For me it's the ultimate virtue signal, that's been hijacked by right-wingers as a public show of patriotism and British Imperialism. Ironically the people that generally moan about others virtue signalling, be it BLM, taking the knee etc. etc.

It's the only charitable cause I can think of where you have to explain why you're not supporting it, madness.

Bob Loblaw and neilly1987 like this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The thing that confuses me the most about it, is the full fact it is a charitable cause.

If you fully believe they’re heros and they should be treated as such. Would you not be going mental at the fact they’re relying on charity to survive rather than been taken care off of the Governments they served?

20 years ago this wasn’t a debate. It was a Remembrance. It’s now a hijacked political tool and absolutely virtue signalling.

If you cared about it, truly cared, you’d be campaigning for it to not be needed. But in reality they just want a big one on their car so people can see how patriotic they are.

neilly1987 and Seán Mac D like this.
  18. SteveyNico67

I miss the GB

19. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Wonder if the board found the one leaking the team news.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member