1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Dec 17, 2010.

Discuss Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Lol, the two aren't even comparable. Celtic has full control over the situation with the Green Brigade, whereas the situation with their European licence isn't within our right to litigate.

2. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I don't disagree with binning the unsafe pyro mate. It's the way the board will seemingly bend over to appease governing bodies, be it our own or UEFA, and blatantly ignore their own supporters. Doesn't sit well with me and never will.
    Also the green brigade aren't immune to criticism. I'm not suggesting that, just in case I'm appearing to be saying that.

Gyp Rosetti, Tommy25 and Seán Mac D like this.
  3. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I never said it was in our hands to 'litigate'. But we could still be more vocal and proactive. I have not one ounce of faith in our current board. And I beg to differ on them not being comparable.

Tommy25 likes this.
  4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I think we agree then mate but we've just totally misunderstood each other. The board need taken to task.

I think they know fans won't want to rock the boat too much while we're doing so well on the pitch and on the cusp of 9 and 10 but I think the strength of feeling needs to be communicated in some way.

Tommy25 likes this.
  5. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Maybe the GB could look into using a much more environmentally safe approach. The solar power reusable torch pyro. Or battery powered Olympic torch style with those bits of material that flutter and orange light makes them look like fire. 2 very viable suggestions.
    :green3:

6. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    The board are fully aware of the feeling among the support, ie the anticipation of 9 and 10IAR, and they will use that to the max. I understand why they do it, but it is very shortsighted and very risky.

Tommy25 and Seán Mac D like this.
  7. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

Nobody has come out of this looking good. Immaturity and petulance on both sides.

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Then what do you expect the club to actually do about it? They’re not comparable, one the club has full control of, the other is out of the club’s hands.

9. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Agree with you mate but personally I think the pyro looks amazing at times. Some of the pictures from Rome looked absolutely class.

Again though, it's not the hill I would want to die on if I was in the GB.

If the group were banned for any other reasons (after officially knocking pyro on the head) then they would get widespread support from the vast majority of fans. Palestine, Ireland, anti fascist banners/songs... Anything like that and the support would go to town on the board.

They are seriously misreading the mood of their fellow Tim's over the pyro issue though.

I hope they see sense. It's not even backing down as such it's just boxing clever.

Get the crowd on your side and the board will have to listen to them.

10. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Lenny saying “thanks you getting us £500,000 in fines has cost me a player”

That will go down well!!!

11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You have got to be kidding me?

I love the manager but * * that is embarrassing.

Never mind the potential millions we lost due to institutionalised cheating that cost us CL places. A couple of 10 grand fines stopped him getting a player.

That is shocking from Lenny and proof that he is being used to drive a further wedge between the GB and wider support.

Absolutely scunnered by that.

Gyp Rosetti, StPauli1916 and jake10 like this.
  12. joemc

I think the pyrotechnics are brill and look amazing , I dont think many fans are against them ,UEFA are and that is the threat to our club be it fines , part closures , closed door game or a ban , these are the thoughts most fans will consider and think twice about , anything that hurts the club hurts us .

Many fans love the gb and support their stance on many things , but UEFA coming down on us constantly can only.lead to harsher punishment in the future , you can guarantee there will be media pressure being applied to uefa, for the raft of petty fines that is doing no good to halt the continuined flouting of their laws .

It can only end badly if the club dont act to keep control of the matter , but it's a double edged sword ,for all the great things they do they will also bring attention that doest sit well with everyone , the club will know this is a fairly powerful voice with plenty of support , it's such a delicate balancing act to try to control everything without appearing the bad guys in all of this .

13. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Looks like the board are trying to get rid of the GB completely
    You got a link for that?

Hope I haven't jumped in feet first here

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Just seen Lennon's quotes about fines making us miss out on a player.

* sake Lenny. Get a grip.

Gyp Rosetti and StPauli1916 like this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Neil Lennon insists he could have bought a player with the cash Celtic have handed over in fines to UEFA.

And chief executive Peter Lawwell insists the club simply had to act against fan misbehaviour before European football chiefs start to take matters into their own hands and issue stiffer punishments.

Parkhead bosses have closed an area of the rail-seating section for Thursday night’s clash with Rennes as they face a 20th charge from UEFA next month for pyros being lit in Rome.

Lawwell revealed that Celtic have shelled out half-a-million Euros to the governing body in punishments and Lennon said: “It’s fair to say we could have bought a player for that amount of money. It’s all going to UEFA.

The club have taken this action now. We’re hoping it will be a deterrent for that sort of behaviour, but not for them coming into the ground.

It’s not ideal, but there are rules and regulations the club has to adhere to. Health and safety and so on. We’re all hoping this will be a short-term thing.”

Lawwell spoke out at the club’s AGM to insist action simply had to be taken.

The Hoops chief admits his “heart sinks” when he witnesses bad behaviour.

UEFA this week banned Feyenoord from selling tickets to their fans for next month’s Europa League game in Lisbon against Porto following crowd trouble in their match at Young Boys in Basel.

The Dutch were fined £50,000 after their supporters threw objects and set off fireworks.

Celtic were fined for similar offences in Stockholm this term and Lawwell insists the matter had to be taken in hand for a variety of reasons.

He said: “Unfortunately, there is a small minority that we have at the moment who are a challenge in terms of safety in the stadium and also in terms of protecting the reputation of our magnificent club.

“It’s a difficult challenge. People are coming to Celtic Park who are in some way showing their frustrations in terms of their life and there are societal issues in terms of drug abuse and alcohol abuse manifesting themselves at the football.

“Safety is everything here and we also have to protect our reputation.

“For the vast majority of the time, it is colour, energy, atmosphere, youth, and it is fantastic. There are times though when a small minority let us down.

The unfortunately concerning thing for us is that they don’t seem to believe they are doing anything wrong.

“So, in terms of overcrowding, pyrotechnics, abusive banners, abusive singing, alcohol in the stadium, these are things which just cannot go on.

Those things are against crowd regulations and against the rules of the competition. We have to keep to the rules of the competition.

“We’ve had to take the step of closing the first 14 rows in the standing section. The reputational thing is important for me. You see a banner, or you hear a song and your heart just sinks. Because that’s not who we are.

“It gives our enemies the opportunity to class us as the same as other clubs and portray us as two sides of the same coin when we are not. We are different. It besmirches our reputation.

“Over the years, in terms of UEFA, we’ve actually been fined over half a million euros now, and that can’t go on.

Regrettably, we’ve taken action. And if things don’t improve in away games, then I again regret that we are going to have to take action.”

Lennon hopes the warnings will be heeded with fans absent tonight and said: “We want the Green Brigade back ASAP, but in the right manner.”

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    tarboltontim likes this.
  16. Pogues

The sad thing is there shouldn't be sides, we're all Celtic.

17. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    love Lennon but he’s coming across as lawwells *, could have bought a player with the 500,000, that’s embarrassing

pop47 likes this.
  18. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I am absolutely livid with the complete brass neck of them claiming we could have bought a player with the fines to UEFA. all the while encouraging shareholders to vote against Res12 which potentially cost us 30 million.

Celtic fans swallowing this guff are just as bad as working class folk living on the breadline while voting Tory all because of a few soundbites.

I noticed we managed to sneak in a wee soundbite about "our enemies" though.

It works for the gullible huns but I hope that mealy mouthed * never fools our support

19. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Lawwell saying the GB make his heart sink. Surely the profits from those 'I wanna be Edouard' tshirts will cheer him up a bit.

Could we not just pay the fines with all the royalties that the board owe the GB for plastering their slogans all over the tat that they like to flog in the Celtic Superstore?

The only reason Lawwell is against smoke bombs is because he doesn't have a license to sell them. Otherwise he'd sell them in packs of 4 for £74.99, with "You'll Never Smoke Alone" written on them.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

He’s got to keep in line with the club line.

Deep down he loves the pyro.