1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic put non playing staff on furlough

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by celtic warrior, Apr 2, 2020.

Discuss Celtic put non playing staff on furlough in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    Because Football Clubs claim to be more than Businesses and The relationship between fans and the club is not comparable to Apple and McDonald that’s a terrible comparison mate, Football Clubs claim to be part of the community more than a business!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  2. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    Absolutely all the more reason for Celtic to pay their own staff with their own money

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Why just football clubs? Shouldn't other 'rich businesses' be held under the same scrutiny?

How are you adjudicating rich?
    Cash-rich?
    Asset-rich?
    Both?

We are not like a BP or Coca-Cola who will still be producing and trading through these times. Our whole operation has shut, with no known date of when it will return and therefore we don't know when our main income stream will start up, we're exactly the type of business who should be using this scheme and as taxpayers we are entitled to do so.

My own preference would've been any company using furlough to sacrifice a % equity stake in their company to the government, which could then be sold at a later date to reimburse the public purse but that's not the case.

4. honda Gold Member Gold Member

What? They are both a business. Hows that terrible? Every rugby team has used the scheme aswel. Let's single out football.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Baffling logic.

Welcome to the forum by the way :bye1:

Straight into the furloughing thread like a dug on beetroot.

Garrymac1888 and Spring Time like this.
  6. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    We re on a Celtic Forum mate talking about Celtic not Coca Cola or BP, they’re irrelevant to this argument the point in hand is what Celtic are doing and While Celtic are paying millions of pounds to their players they should also be paying their non playing staff because they clearly have the money as they can still afford to pay millions to their players, it’s a very bad look for a Club that claims to be so much more exposing themselves like any other business, this should have all been sorted internally with the higher ups and the players so they could have sorted it all out and spread the money around so everyone could be paid without using government aid....It’s been a bit of a PR disaster especially when Celtic are always going on about how loaded they are but when the sh** hits the fan they immediately panic

7. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    Baffling logic? How so? It’s completely reasonable logic if you’re going to sell yourself as part of the community and more than a Club you better act like one when the sh** hits the fan not like a run of the mill big business like they have

8. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    Well we re on a Celtic forum discussing Celtics actions so talking about rugby seems a little redundant

9. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    I joined the forum specifically to comment on this thread*

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Correct, we're on a Celtic Forum and you're on a thread about furloughing making an * of explaining why you think Celtic Football Club PLC is different from Coca Cola PLC in regards to applying for the Job Retention Scheme.

You're literally just repeating the exact same points that I responded to without addressing them. No-one at Celtic is obliged to forfeit any of their contractual salary in the current circumstances, it's a nice thought and I hope they do in the short term but they're not obliged to.

The club have acted in correct manner to future proof jobs.

11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Dylan do you have any economic or accounts background?

12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Don't get confused with soundbites and feel good quotes making a football club any different from any other business.
    Worked for plenty of companies that have claimed to be "family run business" or "one team" "in it together" "one falls, we all fall" and full of other internal feel good slogans - that is all these are.

To a lot of folk their football club is a large part of their culture.
    To a lot of people, working twenty+ years in the same company can become almost a family.

They are still businesses.

--------

I keep going back and forward with how this sits with me, our club using Furlough, and to be honest, so *.

Sure I would have loved to have came out of this crisis having been proud that our club took care of their own and needed no "handout", more so if we could gloat it over other clubs. But let's be * realistic here.
    This is all business. A lot more financially secured businesses are going to utilise this scheme, so why shouldn't we? We have no idea how long this is to last.

Lets think of the utter extreme hypothetical:
    If business A is a month to month company, and decides to put 50 staff on furlough, retaining 8 key staff members to tick their business over from home, in doing so they can keep the business afloat until this all dies down - but let's say it last 18months (I do doubt it, but it was claimed at one point).
    Then let's say Business B is sitting on £10million at the bank but has 300 members of staff all of a sudden sitting on their *, no work to do due to the lockdown, they get guilt-ed in to not using the furlough scheme and 18months later they are in the red to a tune of £3.5million and need to go to the wall.

Where is the fairness then in that?

Yes that is an EXTREME circumstance and I do not forsee it myself, but it is a worse case scenario for some businesses. So why should some of them take the risk, when the government scheme is there to be used? A scheme that we have all paid in to, companies, individuals, all of us. A scheme that is going to yes take a hit on the government, but we all know fine well the government are going to scrape it back in some sick * up way of increasing tax or cutting benefits down the line. So why should one company sit bnack, go to the wall, maybe just survive or create a new company, to then have to be abused and help pay the funds back again by an increase in taxes?

Dream world, would love us not to use it for the bragging rights.
    Reality, we would just be eating in to money that we will never see a return from, so why not use it? We are in the position where we can top it up and keep the staff on full wage, so even better!

13. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    Yes I studied home economics at School

14. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    Because they’re still paying the players millions and furloughing non playing staff that’s why

15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Why?
    So Celtic dont take the benefit of the shceme - but we all still get * for it anyway?
    FYI you wont get asked what team you support when it comes to the next tax rises.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  16. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    well away and make some jelly and ice cream for when this is over my good man and leave the economics and finance to people who actually have degrees and not the ones in your oven

pop47 and Peej like this.
  17. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    Making an * of it? Because you said so?
    mo they should pay their own staff while paying players millions

18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It doesn't matter what the other employees are getting.

Had a guy in my work that I just left -70% of the staff got furloughed, he got told to still come to work as an essential worker. His gripe was "why should I be working 40hours to work my * off, but XXXX gets to sit on his * for 32hours wage?"

Completely misses the point here.

Sure the players are different, but guess what - they are still doing their job - minus 90minutes on a saturday.
    They are still doing 5-6hours training every day, still being sharp etc - that is their job whether or not you agree with their salary for it.

19. DylanG

Fav Celtic Player:
    Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You are my Larsson
    No I’m not going to do that mate I’m going to have my opinion just like you and when a club can afford to pay players millions then they can afford to pay their non playing staff degrees or not

20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

That's not how life works. The government shut us down, why should celtic as a company suffer? 5 months it would take to bankrupt us.