1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic in the EPL - change is coming

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Bermuda bhoy, Jan 3, 2015.

Discuss Celtic in the EPL - change is coming in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bermuda bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    DiCanio
    New member in peace Bhoys.

My fellow tims, I think that Celtic's exit of the SPL may be in the process of happening sooner than most people think if you examine some of the dynamics that are manifesting across the footballing and political landscape.

Here is why in my opinion this may occur in less than 5 years by analysing some trends.

* After a long sabbatical, The Scotland England game has been resurrected with 2 recent fixtures being played without any TROUBLE. I think both associations (the FA & SFA) initiated this fixture to assess how both nations might collaborate in any future football union.

* The uncertainty of Scotland’s future has been put to bed with the Scottish referendum result. The nation has now committed to the UK whether folks agree with that or not. This political result actually bodes well for Celtic’s case for an SPL exit.

* The cross-border UEFA Benelux woman’s league has finished its first season and has been well received.

* Gianni Infantino the UEFA general secretary has muted the possibility for the first time that UEFA are receptive to looking at Celtic’s commercial issue of being financially hamstrung in a non-competitive league. UEFA’s old geriatric board pre Platini and Infantino were vehemently against any cross border participation.

* The ECA (European Club Association) is becoming a very powerful independent entity to rival UEFA with 214 member clubs spread across 53 associations. This is no longer the G14. This volume of clubs on its own accord could institute change and a new league setup irrespective of UEFA's blessing if change was not to be forthcoming.

* Many of the super clubs in the ECA have similar commercial frustrations to that of Celtic and are simultaneously demanding change. (Benfica, Porto, Galatasaray, Ajax, Juventus, Bayern and on and on).

* Peter Lawwell is on the ECA board and is lobbying hard for change.

* The dynamics of broadcasting have changed with BT now challenging SKY in the media realm. SKY no longer calls the shots.

* The UEFA champion’s league is loosing steam. Becoming predicable with the same fixtures season after season. (Attendances down in many countries).

* You will notice that Celtic’s development squad is participating in more and more fixtures with English sides (Sunderland recently and others)!!!!

Their is no smoke without fire.

2. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    * off with this * the day we join the EPL is the day the soul of this club dies

3. clonakilty

Never happen

4. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Some interesting points there mate.

I'm not sure I would want to join the EPL mate, I'm really worried we would lose our soul (sounds corny I know).

However one thing is for sure, Celtic cannot carry on in our current trend. More and more of our casual fan base are turning away from us and it's making it harder and harder for us to compete even at the bottom end of the CL.

5. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Disappointed in you there Sean I thought you where a good *

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I don't believe it's a case of no chance as many would suggest.

I think you've rhymed off a series of coincidental points though.

7. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    Welcome mate, think you've made a few good points there.

I personally don't think it will happen for 2 simple reasons though. England don't want us, and Scotland won't want us to leave.

8. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Celtic have been losing their "soul" for years anyway. The only way we'll ever see celtic conquer europe again is by moving away from the scottish league, whether that's to the English league or to another european league.

9. AlbaGuBrath

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjällby, Lustig, Brown, Lubo, McStay, Bonner
    I would personally rather Scottish football find its feet again and or a northern Atlantic premiership with relegation and promotions to and from domestic leagues.

10. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    There's no doubting that we'd be a force to be reckoned with if we were receiving the tv income that England get.

Could you imagine.

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Id kick an old pensioner down the stairs for us to get into English football, even starting in the diddy 8th tier or whatever and having to work our way up.

12. Buster

Had to read that a couple of times. Thought you said you'd "lick the old pensioner down the stairs"

13. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

What i mean is, the vast majority of our fanbase is still born and bred Celtic fans.

Get to the EPL and ST's would be about £1000 and would probably be about 60% tourists.

I couldn't bear that.

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

He would do that aswell.

Just for fun though, * the EPL. :smiley-laughing002:

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    :56:

16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Doubt we'd put ticket prices up that much tbh, as it wouldnt really matter that much an extra £10million. Same as the Bayern owners said a few year ago why would they double ticket prices when they don't need the extra money.

Lawwell, Demsond etc would be doing cartwheels at just getting the extra £150million from TV/Sponsorship/Advertising/Full Stadium every game/Added value to players that an extra £10million wouldnt really be on the radar

17. Celtic Symphony

Think am in the small minority where moving to England doesn't interest me.

We need to concentrate on making our own game better.

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'm outta ideas..

See to be honest i'm sick of this country and the people running (into the ground) our game..

I've been against the idea of England and moving from Scotland but it gets to the point where i'm like fuckit let's go wherever to just get out..

* knows..

19. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Well he charges us about 600 quid just now to watch us in the SPFL.

If he thought he could get away with it he would.

Maybe a grand is a bit much but they would certainly go up to reflect our new surroundings, pricing even more tims out of the game.

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Season tickets the now are only about £380-550. If we put the prices down now we'd need to trim the squad. We rely on season ticket money, season ticket holders provide roughly half our income.

Getting into the EPL would see our base income that we can rely on every year probably close to Quadruple. Squeezing extra money out fans atleast wouldnt happen for several years until the wagebill ended up bursting at the seems and an extra £10million would pay for 2/3 more quality players.

Fans would come flocking like flies round * to pay £800 for a season ticket to see Arsenal, Man U, Newcastle, Everton, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City with Celtic having a top quality team again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015