1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic in the 90s...

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by bones58, Nov 8, 2016.

Discuss Celtic in the 90s... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Grim is the perfect word to describe the 90's.

2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

All of that is true. It still has absolutely no bearing on today though and their ability to compete with us.

They cheated for well over a decade just to keep up with us. They will not be challenging us any time soon.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  3. Celtic_renard News Writer News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Patrick Roberts
    I'm not being funny but they have nothing like Larsson, Lambert,Lubo,petrov or viduka in their squad who could step up next season. Martyn Waghorn and Andy Haliday are hardly gonna have a season like Larsson and Petrov in 2000-01...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    StPauli1916 and Sean Daleer like this.
  4. Pacific Ocean Blue

Are you on drugs Martyn Waghorn is world class!!

5. paulpaul17

Scottish football is nowhere near the quality of what it was in 2000. They don't need Larsson and Petrov's to win the league.

Obviously this season is safe and I don't worry to much about next season right now, but they have 5 years to strike it lucky. If we have a season akin to 15/16 again, then we are there for the taking.

I'm not saying it will or won't happen, all I'm saying is 10 in a row is no sure thing.

6. the 67

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mcstay " the maestro"
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them.
    They have a massive chip on there shoulder regarding the press, when anyone who can remember our troubles can clearly see the difference in the press attitude towards them.
    We never had good news/feel good guff stories about signings in jan and the like that they currently get.
    We were rock bottom and the support knew it and so did the players like boyd, nicholas ,mcstay and collins.
    I can remember stories of doom and gloom being leaked to the press around terry cassidy's time as ceo......* I shudder when i think of him.
    My early memories of celtic were going to watch murdo and mcgarvey and burns....great teams great football , I was about 13 in 89 as the club spiralled into meltdown....it was the helpless feeling we had .....we just had to bare witness to the slide.....but the fans slowly but surely organised an the old board knew they were *. It was a joy to here those words" the rebels have won" I never had that feeling again till my kid was born lol.
    The events of those years, the pain and depression shaped me and the celtic support....look at the difference with whit they are going through..we didnt expect to win every game or expect to challenge or win a title straight away, I and many were just glad I had a team to watch, Tam came in and gave us a fantastic brand of attacking football to watch, the new stadium going up around us was like a badge of honour. Being able to wear yer hoops with pride again was probably one of the best feelings after years of ridicule.
    I was 13 when we started to slide...the slagging felt constant at the time....kids can be cruel looking back. Probably why I am so happy now lol.
    I would now not swap those years of pain, coz it makes it that bit more special for me when we win and they fail again and again. Long may it continue.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  7. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Great Post :50:

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That's true. They need a couple of Messi's..

9. trip2themoon Concomitant Allez-Vous?

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade

We could have gotten away with 3 draws V the Huns if we didn't draw everywhere else. 4 draws V Kilmarnock didn't help our points total much that season. I will never stop despising Kilmarnock and I hope to see them relegated in my life time. Back then when they played Celtic you would have thought their lives were dependent on taking points from us, then a couple of weeks later you would see them destroyed 5 or 6 nil by the Huns.

10. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    Really hated the 90s in football terms

11. The Regime

Fav Celtic Player:
    Eyal Berkovic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields
    Really, I would go with redemption or resurrection. But I'm forgetting Barnes and O'Neill didn#t come until 2000, but the ground work was done.
    * defences and good attackers. Much better than the possession/defense focused modern game.

12. FinnMcCool1967

That League Cup Final when McStay missed the penalty.

Winning the Scottish Cup in '95 being a massive deal at the time.

Surreal experience of being at ibrox for the '97 League Cup Final with three of the stands full of Celtic supporters. Think we had the Broomloan, the Govan and the Main Stand that day.

Paul Lambert's goal against them just after New Year in '98.

Larsson scoring against St Johnstone to win the League.

The 5-1 game.

13. Aidan O’Shea

That sounds mental.

14. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    The team in 95/96 and 96/97 was outstanding, some great football on display with Cadete, Di Canio, PVH, Thom, still baffling how we lost the league, we used to dominate the huns and every time Goram would play a blinder, was heart breaking losing the league but still look back fondly at that team.

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Was same the year before when we played at that dump. Packed it out..

Sickener though when that big lanky * Kevin James stuck the header away. Never came back up for the replay..

16. FinnMcCool1967

It was weird, if you watch the end of the game (from about 12 minutes on in this clip) you can see ibrox 3/4 full of Celtic fans signing Walk On.

Never made it to the game the year before,but I vaguely remember the game you're on about, we went through a few bad years prior to 97/98 as far as trophies go.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    McChiellini.. and Aidan O’Shea like this.
  17. Aidan O’Shea

That is superb. Incidentally, my first ever Celtic top was the one they played in that day. A beauty.

FinnMcCool1967 likes this.
  18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Probably a better crowd at that due to Dundee United taking a stand, whereas can't mind how many Falkirk brought. Just remember us..

FinnMcCool1967 likes this.
  19. Mickey Burke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    John Thomson
    Lou Macari.....the end

20. ladbroke8

It was split. the early 90s losing at home to Hibs and Partick, Orks at new year being 3 down early.

Tennents sixes being a highlight.

Jungles last stand. Wee fergus.

hampden with pat mcginley top scorer. back to CP revamped. dominating games and killie would break away and score.

Thinking the 3 amigos were amazing but the end result being the same.

jansen stopping the 10. venglos and Barnes. probobly one of the biggest evolutions that we ever had in 1 decade.

Had youbtold me in 93 we wd be the dominant force I wouldnt have believed you.