1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic in the 90s...

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by bones58, Nov 8, 2016.

Discuss Celtic in the 90s... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Markybhoy

Probably not. We finished 5th one season! :eek1:

2. superleigh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    bumblee top

collins. mcstay. di canio. cadete. van honkdonk. andy thom. anoni haha

Larsson Brattback. celtic 2-0 st johnstone.

celtic park being built.

Royston street party for stopping 10.

tosh mckinlay. simon donnelly. jackie mac. tom boyd. weighorst. phil oddonell (rip).

Tommy burns always dominating in old firm games and us always still getting beat i * hated that.

i was born 87 so 90s was when i fell in love way the tic

3. paulpaul17

I started watching in 1994.

Im 95/96 we were the far superior team. We lost 3 domestic games all season, one in each tournament and all 3 to them. We also drew with them 3 times in the league.

We didn't hold our bottle in those matches and it cost us dearly.

In every other season pre-O'Neill from when i started watching we were pretty garbage, even the 3 amigo seasons, we lost all 4 OF league games that year. Even the season we stopped the 10 we just happened to be not as bad as they were.

99/00 was the worst of it, we were about as far behind them as they are behind us just now. That is why I'm not confident of 10 in a row, all it takes is a reverse of Summer 2000 and they'll be back on top.

4. leeso-ardoyne

Was a teenager in the 90s, born 1980. Remember them days like yesterday. Hated them. Them winning 6, then 7, then 8 then devastated at 9! But * it, that was then and this is now and loving every minute of this.great time to be a Celtic man!

Swervedancer likes this.
  5. Aidan O’Shea

My dad still falls into a depression every time Celtic and the 90s is mentioned.

6. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Born in 78, earliest memories of Celtic are mid to late 80's, when we were still competing. From around 89 onwards there were some proper horrible times. Can remember being laughed at for wearing a celtic top in the early 90's, finishing 5th in 1991 has to be the real low point, but as others have said, when an old firm game came around, we always seemed to raise our game.

I started proper going to games in 93-94, when all the 'sack the board' carry on was going on and watching Celtic was pretty painful. Crowds of around 15,000 for a home game, I used to quite enjoy away game at the time, we had a great rapport with the players and a sort of '* every * siege mentaity', even though we were rank rotten.

Raith Rovers Cup Final in 1994 is a particular horror memory, closely followed by the joy of the cup final win in 1995, even now one of my favourite games ever, anyone who was around at the time knows what I mean.

1995-96 season was a beacon of hope and a sign of the bright future ahead, still kills me we never stopped them that season, that really was our chance. We lost 1 league game all season, led 1-0 and 2-1 at Ibrox in the 3-3 draw and pounded the hun goal in a new year 0-0 draw.

7. the 67

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mcstay " the maestro"
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them.
    It was hard being a celtic fan back then, still remember being beat 3-0 by hibs last game of season at celtic park.....we had to win to get into europe an we got pumped, mcstay was out of contract and threw his top into crowd at end of the match.....we all took it as a sign he was leaving and would not be there come the new season kicking off.....grown men crying in the jungle that day when they saw mcstay do this. That memory has stayed with me all this time as he was my hero, mcstay and collins were a joy to watch in a terrible period in our history....if I'm honest I never thought we could turn it around the way we have it presently, with such an advantage over them.
    Back then reading the papers was a major trauma....all doom an gloom with not an end in sight.....there seemed to be major leaks to the press daily and the bad news just kept coming, the contrast with rangers an murray having the press eating out his hand was astonishing looking back.
    Even wee fergus got it tight in the press.....he was a wee clueless guy fae canada with a bunnet, while murray was treated like royalty by the press as a captain of industry.
    How times have changed, and probably the reason why I take even greater delight as that mob go from disaster to disaster.
    Makes you appreciate every title and trophy that little bit more.

8. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Great post :50:

9. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    grim just does not even begin to describe the 90,s and celtic :55:

10. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    True....however it is when some of us started supporting Celtic and means we do appreciate there are worse things than not getting to the last 16 of the Cl every year.

11. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    yes I appreciate a lot of you guys were going to your first games and thankfully getting the " bug, it never goes away you know " for a lot of fans after the euphoria after 88 it was soul destroying to travel every week to watch, but we did . Personally for me a game against the dead huns at celtic park where a hun scott nesbitt strolled about the park like franz beckenbaur was the straw that fukked this camels back .

12. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Yeah, sorry made an * of that. I was trying to make a point about those that are so quick to look for negatives now.

13. strike twice

Apart from some really poor teams taking to the field in the hoops , and the lack of trophies . The 3 things that spring to mind that summed up the chronic state of our beloved club were ; 1, Liam Brady changing the starting line up for no apparent reason almost every game . 2, Having the twisted wee chancer Lou Macari as manager . In my opinion he should have been no where near Celtic Park as an employee . 3, The old board with there penny pinching , ineffectual rudderless leadership . That almost cost us our very existence . Remember their half baked plans for a new stadium out near Cambuslang . Thank goodness for Fergus ( and many others in the background ) saving the day !

14. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    As someone who started taking proper interest late 80's & spent the 90's wondering * was actually going on. These two posts sum up almost everything I can remember of the times.
    The year we lost only 1 but drew over 10 games (12 maybe) was a killer. The Raith cup final, jaysus. The premier league was exploding early 90's too & talking football with someone you'd get looked at like you were an imbecile when you said you were a Celt.
    My first visit in 95 there was an optimisum about the place. Even tho we were in the midst of the 9 , the new stadium was starting to take shape, we had just won the cup, Burns was sigining some true flair players & Fergus (who as mentioned was portrayed as a numptie) was doing the good, although misunderstood at the time, long term work. We still had tough times till 98.
    The best part of the UEFA run for me was stuffing the English teams.

Rossenspeil likes this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It's hilarious that some of them, think the press is heavily biased in our favour these days. It never has been.

16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Even though they did their 9 in a row, during the 90's, it always makes me smile that we did 9 in a row first. :ynwacelti

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Well... Rangers are dead so.....

:56:

18. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

No we weren't ffs.

We had players like Henrik, Lubo, Petrov, Lambert, Viduka back then. They have nothing remotely close to that.

:rofl:

19. paulpaul17

Laugh if you want mate, but nobody in Summer 2000 thought we had nay chance of winning the league the following season or anytime soon.

Larsson was coming back post leg break, nobody knew how good he would be, and he hadn't cemented himself as a great yet, that came in the following years.

Petrov wasn't considered anything special, he'd had a torrid season.

Lubo was 35 by this point.

Viduka was a diva but probably our most reliable player with the uncertainty over Larsson. But he left anyway.

Lambert was reliable as ever I suppose.

But they had just won the league by 21 points, they had an exceptional squad (that they couldn't afford as we know now) that had absolutely flattened us in the process and the dream ticket of Barnes and Dalgliesh had failed catastrophically. It was a dark time and nobody knew what was ahead.

It's easy in hindsight to forget previous perceptions.

20. Aidan O’Shea

You're not wrong.