1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic in Europe in 22-23 Season

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Bhoyyo, Apr 13, 2022.

Discuss Celtic in Europe in 22-23 Season in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Melb Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Got one!!!!! I think I’m above the approved away support section so hopefully they can move me down

2. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Got 2 today for section 5/2. Standing. £15 quid each and a wee letter from Celtic telling me no pyro

3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Donno how I missed them :56: ill keep trying.

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Reastically we're looking at third now..

Could do with that Mudryk getting an injury so it rubber stamps them getting no more point's in thus group..

Still a killer we never won there and took them out the equation ourselves....as well as still being level on point's with Leipzig going in to the return at home..

Beat Shakhtar at home and I still think that might be enough to pip them to third..

5. CountyDownFaithful

Our chances depend vastly on CCV being fit and available for next week.

Not sure on the timeline for Starfelt but it would be a huge lift to get him back as well.

Fingers crossed McGregor’s injury isn’t as bad as feared either.

Our attacking style of play is built on these 3 players giving us a solid foundation to build from.

6. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Having seen the game against Leipzig and watching other CL games it’s all too apparent how naive we are at this level.

Take Benfica against PSG, tactical fouls being made to halt the attacking flow of the opposition. Out of possession proper midfield positioning and offer plenty of attacking threat. We need to get smarter at this level fast or we are finishing 4 likely on 2 points.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  7. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Shacktar gave Madrid a game at bernabeu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I honestly think it's a disgrace we're out of it with 2 game's to spare and finishing rock bottom of a group consisting of Shakhtar..

Don't get me wrong, they're ok and have one outstanding talent....but they're as average a side as it gets in the group's..

Lost almost all their big hitters/Brazilians. Playing in Poland. A team we dominated for about 70 minute's and peppered..

Yet their system has allowed them to go and smash Leipzig in Germany and see them unluckily concede at the death to draw against Real Madrid..

While we naively can't finish, are wide open and completely gas out in game's..

Just want the group's to be over now. The annoying thing about last night was Madrid actually getting that equaliser. I'd be playing McCarthy and co for the next couple..

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  9. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Ain't over til it's over. The home game against Shaktar is absolutely must win to set up a decider in Spain.

A decider in Spain where our opponents may well field a second string? Anyone familiar with Madrid and if they do this for dead rubbers?

One of the only times we played pure Angeball under Strachan was a dead rubber at CP against Villa Real. Played absolutely scintillating one touch passing football. It was like the pressure was off and the players had license to express themselves.

10. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Might not be a dead rubber though mate. If Leipzig beat Real Madrid in Germany then Madrid are fighting them for finishing top spot. Best set results for us on match day 5 is us and real win but even then we are still depending on favours even if we did the unthinkable and won at Real Madrid.

11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That’s the thing with the ucl it’s all great and we are belong there in some peoples eyes. Issue we have is on paper we had a very favourable group outwith spurs group was a real chance of progress in it before it started. But as @McChiellini.. has pointed out we seem to has out around the 60min mark EVERY game. Now that is down to the high intensity play, but if we aren’t ahead then we get picked off. Some players being injured hasn’t helped. Others who last season you could hang your hat on aren’t doing it and the cynic will say maybe holding back as don’t want injured before the World Cup.

truth is we have caused our own problems, the ability of failing to finish has been apparent. Kyogo has been dugmeat, Daizen looks lost, Juranovic has been identified as a weakness and exploited a few times.

european football scunners me being honest the negative outlook before and after games is boak inducing we where beat before we tried by most last night.

last 2 games are dead rubbers and it’s a case of fulfilling them.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  12. CountyDownFaithful

The biggest difference between us and teams like RB Leipzig is athleticism IMO.

Purely from a technical standpoint, players like O’Riley, Jota and Hatate can compete with them.

However, it’s obvious that these teams are much stronger and quicker than us. They are proper athletes while our best players have very clear limitations in this regard - O’Riley and Jota lack real speed and stamina, Abada is very weak etc etc

It’s even more concerning when your bringing guys like Mooy and Turnbull on who are very slow and not suited to a high pressing style of play.

I’d like to see this addressed in the next couple of windows. We need to make sure the players we are bringing in can sustain the intensity that we want to play with and not run out of steam after 60’ mins.

The_Bhoy and McChiellini.. like this.
  13. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Shahktar is still a huge game next week. We need to get this monkey of our back and win a home game and stick away a couple of chances. Also a win keeps us in with a fighting chance going to Madrid with them already qualified (in 1st hopefully too).

14. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    It's been so annoying this year, one little crumb of comfort is that I can't recall making so many chances in Europe in a season, even moreso in the CL. Problem has been taking them.

Best scenario is Real don't lose to RB, we beat Donetsk and hope RB get a win meaning a draw in Madrid is enough.

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Agree with all of this..

Feel like I'm always banging on about pace and although it isn't the be all and end all....it's a massive part of modern day football at the top. All the top side's are quick and athletic..

It's especially important in this system under Ange I feel. We wouldn't need a real pacey midfield and defence if we camped in like Shakhtar and countered with the pace of the likes of Mudryk up top.....but that will never be us under Ange. He wants us pressing high. Our midfield going full throttle back and forth. Our centre halves high and man for man..

It's something that majorly needs addressed still. The only midfielders we have with any pace are McGregor and Hatate. That's nowhere near enough. Taylor has been very good but is so immobile for a fullback in our set-up..

Midfield is the real problem though. When it's on song, it's great. When it tires or one player comes off.....it goes to *. We need some more athleticism and power in there in January..

We knew we weren't the finished article....and didn't expect us to be....but these are still thing's that some of us were crying out for in the summer. Seemed obvious to most..

16. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Two weeks time Shaktar mate

17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Stats don't tell the whole story but this shows 1. How wasteful we've been in front of goal and 2. How clinical the opposition have been against us

18. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Tbh I was a bit embarassed about how weak we were. There were spells in the game I genuinely thought we were incapable of winning any of the physical battles we should be big favourites to win.

Leipzig didn't even need to use much skill...they were walking through challenge after challenge at times like we were made of feather and truth be told, while they looked reasonably strong, they were hardly titans.

Abada going off injured cos he ran into someone just summed everything up really.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  19. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ange obvious gives emphasis on pace and technical ability, not strength. And he's steadfast about it. The most annoying thing was that he had Hatate in a position where he couldn't move about freely, and required more strength than forward positions: DMF.

20. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Ah so it is, cup at fir park next wed night. Ah well gives us more time to hopefully get our * together.