1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Chairman Ian Bankier to retire after more than 10 years with the Club

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jul 29, 2022.

Discuss Celtic Chairman Ian Bankier to retire after more than 10 years with the Club in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    He may well have been mate, although think that may have been leaked to certain people from people with Parkhead so don't know if it's true or just the line they wanted out there.

I certainly think a guy like McKay and looking at his background and way he wanted to work would have made some on the board uncomfortable and as many of them have sat on the board for well over 10 years while doing very little comfortable is one thing they have gotten used to

Callum McGregor likes this.
  2. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Well Ange never seemed too fussed about him.

3. RabS Aw fuck it Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Murray was at Rangers Original for over 30 years and their fans sat back and watched their club die. Difficult to force PL out when we brought in CL group stage money post MON with Strachan, watched the bigots die trying to keep up with us then went on the most dominant period of any club in Scotland ever.

Just like last year I'm sure the support would mobilize as seen with Higgins if it looks like happening. I think you struggle with that idea, I wonder why.

As for Dom McKay, there is zero argument he got off to a bad start irrespective of how it eventually turned out. We were far too slow bringing the right players in. You can give him JJ and Kyogo all you like (although it was obvious KF was Ange's main target) our transfer success increased after it was announced Dom was leaving. Ie. Jota, CCV and Giako on deadline day then O'Riley, Hatate and Maeda in Jan.

4. G40B

Irrelevant ramblings.

5. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Think there were always grumblings, he * managers off, even as far back as oneill; remember his "life in the slow lane" comment and I dunno if he would have hung around much longer than he did had his wife been OK.
    He generally got away with it bcoz of domestic success, but the tide of opinion on him definitely turned in his last 5 or 6 years, with the continued failures to reach champions league due to not getting players in until it was too late and the him playing a huge part in us losing the best manager we had had in 20 years.

You could make the point that he chased away both top managers we had, iv also believed his inability or unwillingness to give new deals to ledley and in particularly Samaras was huge part of reason Lennon left the 1st time. He was still pulling the same * right up until the end, with guys like Gordon, jozo and Hayes.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  6. RabS Aw fuck it Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    :84: Okay hun x

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    McKay was miles out his depth......to the point he was flustered by how much attention he was getting out day to day compared to his previous job..

He crumbled here badly and wanted an out. Hearsay so and so but heard that from impartial people at another club who would know. Everyone can make up their own mind..

8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Can talk about him chasing away managers fair enough but let’s not kid on that Rodgers was gonna get champions league the board had lost confidence in him spending any money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    So have Leicester by the looks of things

10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I'm confident that is what happened, he was successful in the background in Scottish Rugby but Celtic are bigger than Scottish Rugby and that's not a dig.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  11. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Peter Lawwell having any say on any important decisions that affect our playing squad or supporters is a bad thing.

I don’t see how anyone can see it any other way. There’s a plethora of evidence to back this up.

If he wants to use his influence within Europe to improve our standing as a club then fine. Just do it * quietly, and don’t ruin the most promising team we’ve had in years.