1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Chairman Ian Bankier to retire after more than 10 years with the Club

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jul 29, 2022.

Discuss Celtic Chairman Ian Bankier to retire after more than 10 years with the Club in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ian Bankier, Chairman of Celtic, has indicated that he will retire at the end of this calendar year. Accordingly, Celtic has today announced that Ian is to stand down as a director and Chairman of the Club from 1st January 2023.

Ian joined the Celtic Board firstly as a Director in the summer of 2011 and was then appointed Chairman later that year. He has led the Celtic Board across a period of huge success, both on and off the field.

Over the next few months, Ian will work closely with the Club on a period of smooth transition, with his successor being announced in due course.

Ian said: “It has been an honour and a privilege to serve the Club I will always love, as Chairman, for more than ten years.

“Our aim was always to deliver success on and off the pitch and, above all, to give Celtic fans a club they could be proud of. During this time, I am grateful to have had the opportunity to work with so many fantastic people who have had Celtic in their hearts and worked so hard for our Club.

“I know Dermot, Michael, and the rest of the Board will continue to seek the very best for Celtic at all times and will seek to ensure that Celtic maintains its position as the biggest and best club in Scottish football, as well as progressing as a force in European football.

“I wish the Board, our fantastic manager Ange, our players and staff and, of course, all our supporters much continued success as our great Club continues to move forward.”

Director and principal shareholder, Dermot Desmond commented: “I would like to thank Ian sincerely for his contribution to Celtic across the past decade.

“Ian has provided great counsel and stability across a sustained period of growth and success for the Club, and I wish Ian and his family well for the future.

“We will ensure that we work very closely with Ian over the next few months to deliver a smooth and effective transition prior to announcing his successor.”

Michael Nicholson, Celtic Chief Executive, added: “I would like to wish Ian the very best for the future.

“Ian has led the board with great skill and dedication during an important time in the Club’s history and a period of success on and off the field.

“Throughout, Ian has been a source of constant support for all members of the Board, and we are all grateful to him for that."

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Good luck to him. I’m sure he’s done a lot of work that goes unnoticed by the fans during his tenure.

Zander likes this.
  3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Good riddance. Calling Celtic fans ‘criminally racist’ should have seen him hunted a long time ago.

4. Al Bootyerbaws

Cheerio ya *.

5. Sentinel

'Over the next few months, Ian will work closely with the Club on a period of smooth transition, with his successor being announced in due course.' - Pistol Pete incoming...

6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Would not be surprised. In fact it’s actually what I think will happen.

The Phoenix likes this.
  7. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Good, GTF. No real issue if indeed it's Lawwell who replaces him, as there will be no danger of him interfering in transfer dealings.

8. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Desmond’s boy incoming then

9. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    He can gtf now if possible.

10. Keano88

11. Mr. Slippyfist

12. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Rest in *, bozo :85:

13. DonnyCelt

14. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    I'm not as confident as you are. The last time, Lawwell tought his job is DOF. Now he would probably think he's the CEO. You just know he's the kind of ex-boss who can't leave his successor alone and has to sabotage every success, putting his own image before the club.

15. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Nah as CEO he had a direct say in financial dealings, the problem was he took that to extremes. As chairman he'd be less involved in that side of things so there's less chance of that happening.

As much as it all turned sour with him, there's no denying he's a shrewd guy who did do a lot of good things for the club, despite his flaws. But obviously it would be a good idea to keep an eye on the situation if he does get the job though.

16. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    * him.

oh bhoy likes this.
  17. john2061

We are always talking about getting rid of the deadwood by * there's plenty on that board and bankier is one of many who should * off and bring in people who are Celtic men with new ideas and ambitious for the club .

18. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    * looks like the baddie from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
    [​IMG]

Dont let the door hit you on the way out, ya fuccin fan hating *.

19. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Off you *.

20. Chris bhoy01 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    * little * that he is bye