1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic’s next permanent manager

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Feb 26, 2019.

Discuss Celtic’s next permanent manager in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I never said get someone who doesn’t ever change anything.

Rodgers didn’t have us pressing in Europe though. It was an absolute myth that he had us as some sort of high pressing all out attack team and that’s why we got beat. Aside from City at home I can’t honestly think of a game against a big team that we actually pressed. He used that ‘negative set up gets negative results’ because when we did try and defend we were embarrassing because he’s clueless defensively.

Going out and parking the bus doesn’t stop pumping either. EVen if you believe that there’s better managers for that than Lennon.

2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I know every manager will have their limits and it needs to be realistic which is why I’m not shouting for us to go and get Klopp or Guardiola.

I just think as much as he was a Snake, Rodgers definitely lifted the standards to were Scottish teams can’t cope with us. Even people who wants Lennon have mentioned doubt because of how he was commenting about how much more technology/meetings there is at Lennoxtown since he left.

We should be looking to kick on and improve again.

3. celtic warrior

It's hard to see past Lennon. There isn't anyone that is on Rodgers level that we can really attract.

If it's not Lennon, I'm telling you it will be another Ronny. I mean, I personally wouldn't be to adverse against David Wagner but that is still a * massive risk.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  4. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

That all came at a price though, wage bill is sky high and Rodgers was on mental money by Scottish standards. Not to mention the fees wasted on awful signings (nothing new I suppose) we should be blowing Scotland out of the water with that much cash being thrown about.

I'd rather we invested those fees in scouts than players. Get more for our money and have a first team coach to make it all happen on the park - let that be their focus. I know the DOF/Head Coach setup is something you're keen on iirc?

5. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    How? Your the one on here with a bellyache every 3 months moaning about the current managers. Every manager you have suggested would, in my opinion carry far greater risk to our ambitions than Lennon. They are complete unknowns and as per your point below Re: Deila, you are correct.

Honestly the Ronny thing is what scares me off unknown foreign managers now. Particularly younger ones. It was an experiment and it failed to a degree.
    And to be fair you never come across as happy :giggle1:

I was also critical of Rodgers while he was here (i think there were only a handful of us up until he snaked off to the £PL). All your points there are correct and it's going to take some sorting come the summer. Either way we need the right man for the job and i'd prefer experience at this time as we edge closer to 10.

6. Mr. Slippyfist

[​IMG]

7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I was called a happy clapper this time last season...

People were critical but I think I was literally the only person who said they’d punt him. Even said in October I think I’d punt and get Lennon in until the end of the season.

Canny win :56:

8. Mr. Slippyfist

You weren't.

9. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Who else came out and said they would? I remember a few others complaining and saying they wouldn’t be bothered if he left or that but I don’t remember anyone else actually saying they’d sack him.

10. Mr. Slippyfist

I did.

11. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    The other thing that makes me think lennon is a very good option is his transfer record. We need a major restructuring this summer and he has a track record of delivering genuine quality at a price level we can afford.

12. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Can’t quite believe folk were actually happy for Rodgers to go :56:

Tommy25 likes this.
  13. CountyDownFaithful

Said in an earlier post, Lennon is getting the results, some very good ones against Huns Hibs and Hearts, but the performances haven't been good enough - last night was poor again.

It's a tough one because the players aren't his and he has said a few times he hasn't implemented any of his own style - so is it fair for us to judge him? If he gets the results, is that enough given the circumstances?

I'm not averse to Lennon getting the job full-time but if someone told me we had the option of getting another coach on the same level as Rodgers or with the potential to be as good if not better than him, then I'd probably lean towards that.

Regardless of who comes in, the job is going to be the same, continue our domestic dominance to secure 10IAR, rebuild the squad (CBs, RB, LW, CM) and have a good crack at Europe. It's all about who is best placed to meet the objectives.

14. jj81

I'm not happy , I'm delighted.

15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Surely if the performances are good enough to win the games, they're good enough? I know it's not been as easy on the eye (especially the sheep game and last night) but as you say we had a very difficult run when Lenny stepped in - not to mention that we'd been patchy all season bar the run after the winter break which was an extremely favourable fixture list for the snake to navigate.

I think the players and manager have done brilliantly to grind out some of those results. We'll see how they both fare after the split, but if we win the treble and skelp a few of the top 6 again then I have no problem whatsoever with Lennon getting the job.

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The whole "well Deila was foreign and didn't work out" as an excuse to just go with Lennon is * ridiculous. I hate this idea that it has to be someone who knows the game in Scotland, or is a Celtic man. A good manager is a good manager. It's Scottish football ffs, the standard is absolutely *.

Wim Jansen knew nothing about the game here and did okay. Tony Mowbray is a Celtic fan and one of our worst managers ever. It's just the way it is.

We all love Lenny as a person and appreciate what he's done. But settling for him just reeks of a complete lack of ambition and imagination. We want to go forward as a club. Going for Lenny is looking back the way. His cup record was abysmal. We played some good football at times, but equally played some utter dross for spells. Aye the 2012/13 European campaign was fantastic, but it was a one-off. He had his fair share of pish European results.

It's absolutely uninspiring.

Jeremie Frimpong and Tommy25 like this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I want to go backwards as a club to be fair, if we can go all the way back to 67 it would be glorious :56:

Jeremie Frimpong and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

pls

Liam Scales likes this.
  19. TeazyWeazy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hamden In The Sun
    What a dreadful price we paid. A double treble and down to our last £40 million in the bank.

Tommy25 likes this.
  20. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I'm not saying it wasn't worth it, but we got what we paid for. Despite that domestic dominance we still got * in Europe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.