1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic’s next permanent manager

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Feb 26, 2019.

Discuss Celtic’s next permanent manager in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Who’s downplaying his achievements or denigrating him?

The people desperate for Lennon to get the job keep coming back to one thing in the end, the Barca result. Seems we’ve not to mention his cup record, the awful football, the big game bottle jobs etc.

If people want Lennon because they love him and gave us that night against Barcelona then say that. Don’t make out we were some sort of giant killing force in Europe.

2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If he gets the job I’ll probably end up banned in all honesty :56:

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

It's okay for Lennon not to be your first choice (he isn't mine) but the way you're downplaying the fact we beat arguably the greatest club side of all time, registered our first group stage away victory and navigated a group where we had the lowest budget of all 4 teams, tells you he's not as poor a manager as you're inferring.

You mention the 3-2 game you said Rodgers wouldn't lose for a chance to win the league, but fail to mention the 2 ridiculous red cards Calum Murray dished out that day.

I don't think even the most ardent Lennon fan would say he was flawless but as far as rookie managers go I struggle to think of any who grasped it better. His achievements came with a backdrop of an EBT-enhanced Rangers, a complicit cheating Football Association riddled with liars and cheats and constant verbal and physical harassment and death threats.

Lennon didn't get the easy management apprenticeship that the rat got. Years of tutelage under first-class managers and coaching jobs at lower league English clubs where the pressure is a fraction of a club like Celtic, where different systems can be trialled without the hysteria of the Scottish Media. He was thrust into the job when Mowbray was sacked and done relatively well with a squad full of shitebags.

Context is always important.

StPauli1916 and Gabriel like this.
  4. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    The notion that Lennon is some sort of majestic European tactician is wide of the mark for me. The Barca season was unbelievable but it looks to have been an outlier. The other three seasons were not good. In fact the 13/14 season was relatively straightforward if he was as good a tactician he is made out to be: AC Milan were 13th in Seire A when we played them and Ajax.

The issue for me is that I don’t really know where we go from here. As much as I don’t think Lennon is the man to take us forward over the long term, I think he is the least risky option in terms of cementing 10IAR.

It’s a tricky one for me.

5. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I’m putting context into the Barca result. You’d think we put in some sort of tactical masterclass and completely nullified them the way people are using it as why he should get the job. The reason the Barca result was so famous is because of how ridiculously one sided the game was and we ended up winning. It was basically a miracle that we’ll probably never see happen again. That’s not downplaying the significance of it.

The Cha one was * aye but the Wanyama one was a stonewaller.

He had one season up against a decent Hun team and completely bottled the league up at Inverness. The Huns went into admin the next season and died that summer. He got put out at home in the cups against Morton and Aberdeen in which was the easiest chance we will ever have at a treble.

If I was trying to denigrate him I could easily bring up about how he left like some other people have but I’ve not. I’m simply talking about the football.

You’re bringing up the snake’s managerial career before us as if I want him back. Think I was literally the only person on here who wanted him punted that wasn’t trolling. Was * ridiculed on here no too long ago for slaying his European record. Surprise surprise people are now questioning it that he’s no longer here.

6. Keano88

I’m still undecided and find myself swaying between both arguments for and against Lennon being appointed but I’ve decided to reserve judgement until the season is over and we know how we’ve performed with a fully fit squad and whether we’ve won the treble treble.

Whatever the outcome it won’t change the fact that I’ll be forever grateful to Lennon for stepping up in our hour of need and leading us through what could have been a really difficult end to the season given the circumstances.

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'll reply to the rest tomorrow but Wanyama's was never a stonewaller. Clean as a whistle, took all of the ball and zero of the man.

Screenshot_20190404_005602_com.google.android.youtube~2.jpg

Screenshot_20190404_005744_com.google.android.youtube~2.jpg

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He went in two footed with his studs shown. Immaterial if he won the ball.

9. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Lennon’s Cup record was absolutely shocking, Rodgers won all of the domestic cups available to him, Lennon won 2 out of 9. Appointing Lennon is about as unambitious as the board could possibly be.

Tommy25 likes this.
  10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Good post.

The only thing I would disagree with is the idea that he did ‘relatively well’. He did brilliantly in his first spell here imo.

StPauli1916, Seán Mac D and Gabriel like this.
  11. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Bring back Martin O'Neill. He got us to Seville.

Or Gordon Strachan. He got us to the CL knockout stages twice.

I'm torn on Lennon tbh. He seems a safe bet but our performances thus far have been dire, although the results have been decent. If we can get a higher calibre of manager then fair enough but if it comes down to Lennon or Moyes/Clarke or someone of that ilk then we would be better off with Lennon.

12. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

@Valhalla who would you like to see get the job?

13. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Who gives a * ? Just give it to Lennon and get the * banned.

Gabriel likes this.
  14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I don’t know mate. Europe wise, I know most people want someone who will come in and make us defensive and solid and try keep games tight. But I think we’d be better someone who will have us as an aggressive team pressing the opposition all over the park and not letting them settle. Never giving them a moments rest and getting the crowd going absolutely mental. Someone like Rose, Bielsa, Schmidt, Di Francesco, Kohfeldt etc.

Even if it is all about going out and trying to keep it tight and hope to nick a goal by a set piece or capitalise on a defensive mistake then someone like Rafa would be an infinitely better option than Lennon. I think Benitez football is some of the worst going and would kill the atmosphere most games but he’s still a better option for Lennon if we’re talking about getting a pragmatist for European football.

If we’re talking about just getting a youngish coach similar to Rodgers then there’s people like Cocu, AVB, Hutter, Gallardo, Dardai.

Thats not even looking at out the box choices like Setien, Gasperini, Bordalas. You’ve seen people under the radar like Gracia, Pochettino, Bosz, Ten Hag come from under the radar and make big impressions.

The idea that Lennon is the best manager we can get simply doesn’t sit right with me.

Tommy25 likes this.
  15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

A young Manager who doesn't understand the unique nature of Scottish football would be a risk tho.. there's no way of telling how they would handle the pressure..

Every appointment comes with a degree of risk..

If Lenny secures the treble he will get it..

StPauli1916 likes this.
  16. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    @Valhalla has there been a Celtic manager you have actually been happy with?

Genuine question. Don’t think it would matter who was in charge you’d still find fault.
    The last decade must have been a painful time for you.

17. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think he gets it even if we lose to Aberdeen or lose the final to ICT/Hearts.

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The European style you want us to play is pretty much the exact same as Rodgers tried to do.. and resulted in some absolute embarrassing pumpings..

When you have inferior players pressing the elite they play through a high press.

Realistic and variation of tactics is needed, not a purist who doesn't change tact. It's not FM..

King of Kings likes this.
  19. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Patter like this is embarrassing, but I’ll play along. I’ve been happy with every manager we’ve had since O’Neill I think aside from Mowbray. I didn’t know what to expect with Ronny but it backfired and in the end he was out of his depth.

I was happy with Rodgers until he showed we weren’t progressing and were beginning to go backwards. It was obvious that Rodgers was coasting it since his first season. There was no forward planning, there’s a giant wage bill that’s too big and nowhere near the the value of the product on the park and he was blaming everyone else but himself for the failures in recruitment. Eerily similar to his last season at Liverpool. Even during his second season I defended him against criticism but it was * obvious we were going backwards.

The same stuff I was saying about him when he was here, and told I was being unrealistic, is the exact same * everybody else is saying now that he’s left.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  20. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

:56:
    I don't think Lennon is the best we can get, but he's a good fit for Celtic. Every manager who is within our reach will have their limitations - Rodgers did, Strachan did, and Lennon did and will still have drawbacks.

I think he will deliver domestically (maybe not trebles, but he'll win titles). He's also got a decent record in Europe, and was unlucky to get a tough draw at hibs this summer as he almost got them into Europe. He wouldn't be the worst choice, despite not being the best either.
    *cough cough* Ronny Deila *cough cough*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.