1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Carl Starfelt

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jul 21, 2021.

Discuss Carl Starfelt in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Actually thought he was fine today, seems to be the scrutinised whipping boy, CCV was excellent but towards the end he dived in and let Ross county player right through, had that been starfelt would have got pelters for it

2. AussieGreek

he was perfectly fine today and seems to be adopting the system now too, venturing well beyond the halfway line.

Damnati and TheHappyLoss like this.
  3. TheHappyLoss

Thought he was excellent today. Even had the confidence to stride forward

buchanbhoy and AussieGreek like this.
  4. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    His best game in hoops so far.

5. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    He was absolutely fine today. I think he had one sloppy pass second half. His willingness to come out of defence with the ball should not be overlooked. Also the bampots in our support who are on his back as soon as he gets the ball can get tae!!!

AussieGreek likes this.
  6. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

His best game in a Celtic shirt

Rydo1888* likes this.
  7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Overall i thought he had a good game.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He was alright. I wouldn't say anything special.

Still not convinced on him and my fears about him getting too tight and giving away easy fouls etc are still there. Very similar to Erik, for me.

I dunno what it is with him but he never quite looks comfortable with the ball. Just want to give him a shake and say to believe in yersel.

The Phoenix likes this.
  9. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

That blind left footed pass backward with his left foot he seems to love gives me the fear.

neilly1987 and Mr Shelby like this.
  10. Maestro 08

Best game for us but still unconvincing for me. Welsh must be gutted bcos he's better than this guy and it's not even close imo.

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I know the one you mean.

It's like he panics constantly, not a great trait for a Celtic CB. I'd be playing Welsh ahead of him.

neilly1987 and The Phoenix like this.
  12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Had a good game and hope he keeps it up.

neilly1987 likes this.
  13. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Seemed much more assured with CCV beside him.

14. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    He had a reasonable steady game yesterday, I think a few more of these games and he will grow in confidence, hopefully. He still looks like he has a mistake in him

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    The nosebleed panic pass.

He doesn’t deserve a game over Welsh.

Mince.Charming and Dan Breen like this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

OF the new signings that have been brought into Celtic during the summer who have had any significant game-time, it is perhaps Carl Starfelt who will feel that he still has the most to prove. But the Swedish international is certain that he can overcome a rather sticky start and win over the Celtic supporters.

It didn’t help Starfelt’s cause when he scored a freak own goal against AZ Alkmaar in the Europa League qualifier, with the defender relieved his slip-up didn’t ultimately cost his side a place in the group stages of the competition.

He rallied during that match in The Netherlands to produce a battling second half display to help Celtic over the line, and he believes that the best is certainly yet to come from him in a Celtic jersey.

“I feel like I have more to give,” Starfelt said. “I feel like it’s getting better.

“I feel more secure for every game. I just need to keep working hard and hopefully I will only grow.

“Of course I know, I have played football for a long time and I know you will have difficult moments. But then every player will have difficult moments.

“You’ve got to just push through them mentally and if you keep working hard it will turn around and that’s what I’m trying to do.

“I try to work hard every day and keep my confidence up and that’s what my focus is on.”

What hasn’t helped Starfelt is that he has yet to play in a settled partnership, with Cameron Carter-Vickers the latest to slot in alongside him at the heart of the Celtic defence. While he rates all of his partners such as Carter-Vickers, Stephen Welsh and Nir Bitton, he concedes that a more regular arrangement may help improve his own consistency.

“Of course it’s optimum to have played with your centre-back partner before,” he said.

“Cam came in for the game against Ross County and did a very good job. It felt like it was easy to play with him. I felt that with the others too though.

“When you change a lot of players it becomes difficult but when one or two come in it’s easier to adapt when you have a strong core.

“Everyone who has played there has done very well and they’ve been easy to play with. But of course the more you play with someone the more you get to know them and the more you can adapt to each other.

“So it will get better also.”

It is anyone’s guess who Ange Postecoglou will opt to throw in for the first of those Europa League group games this week as Celtic head to Seville to play Real Betis on Thursday night.

The significance of the city was not immediately apparent to Starfelt, with nobody filling him in yet about the UEFA Cup Final of 2003, but the significance of the fixture certainly is.

“No, I haven’t talked too much about that actually but now you’ve told me I will look into it some more!” he said.

“None of the players have mentioned this yet because all of the focus was on the Ross County game. Maybe I will hear something soon.

“It’s a very big game there. There are tough games in a tough group.

“But they will also be fun games so we’ll go and play our football and see where it takes us.

It will be my first time playing in Seville.

“I feel like we have a very clear way of playing and the coach is very clear in how he wants us to play.

So everyone knows what we want to do. We will go and perform our best and see how far it will take us.

“We know it’s going to be very tough but we also believe in ourselves so we will see.

“It’s important how we want to play this game, what we want to do on the pitch.

“It’s the first game in the group, it’s obviously a very tough game so we will go and try to win and play our football and see where it takes us.”

17. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I don't buy all this he was really good, best game in a Celtic tap etc etc. He was bang average, didn't do anything wrong granted.
    But I am expecting a lot more from him, he looked shaky on the ball for me.

Let me put it this way, if a young guy came in from the Colts team and put in a similar performance, reckon we would all be going-solid performance, kept it simple, never made a mistake, well done young one.

But my expectations for a middle aged full international, who has had a bedding in period, playing against poor opposition, home stadium, are a lot higher. Several times, in position, he could have strode forward with the ball.

I am not saying for one minuet he should be thrown into the Boli Barkas Nicham basket, its just he needs to step up. I would take Welsh ahead of him right now.

18. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ghost of a cb

19. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

I really want him to do well but he’s an absolute dream for a striker to be up against.

20. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    When eventually jullien comes back, carl will be a sub.

A very expensive one at that.