1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Carl Starfelt

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jul 21, 2021.

Discuss Carl Starfelt in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Paradise88

He's a dud.

Unfortunately can't get every signing right.

The Phoenix likes this.
  2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It’s a literal impossibility to call him a dud at this stage.

Give the guy a chance.

3. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Not follow the national team? I know he hasn’t made a lot of appearances, but still…

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I have the fear about someone like Kent or even Wright getting into space and running at him next week, tbh.

The chance AZ had early doors where all the guy did was show him a bit of the ball and he lunged in and was beaten...that's not rustiness or fear of the crowd etc, that's basic defending.

Hes not got any recovery pace at all, I was under the impression he actually had a bit of speed.

Concerning for sure and I would definitely say it means we need to spend money on another CB, even just to bolster our options with Jullien unlikely to be fit for a while.

The Phoenix likes this.
  5. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

No recovery speed or composure.

Thank * for Ralston, Hart and Welsh a couple times last night.

The Phoenix and Mr Shelby like this.
  6. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I’ve every bit of goodwill and benefit-of-the-doubt for him as a person thrown in at the deep end, with the transition we’re in. I do think the odds are he’ll come good, at least to some extent.

On the other hand, so far he’s been exceptionally disappointing for the most part. I think the length of time it took us to get him - not to mention the fee as well - has made his shaky start an even bigger kick in the teeth.

Watching him lunging in, looking visibly shaken when a man runs at him, getting done for pace, etc, you’re left thinking, ‘Is this what was meant to be worth all that time, hassle and money?’

7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I get that some players take longer to settle etc. And will make the odd mistake.

But in each game he's played for us so far he's done something stupid or made me think OOOFT. It just doesn't bode well.

Theres at least 3 examples from last night. The one where Welsh bailed him out, we can't afford much more of that, regardless of whether he needs time etc. Another night 9 times out of 10 we concede there.

That wasn't a mistake that was down to two youth players or Greg Taylor beside him either as I've seen some people use this to defend him. That was him, on his own, misjudging the speed of a ball and being out of position and towing a caravan getting back in.

Maybe I've just ran out of patience with dodgy celtic centre half's so I'm being much harsher a lot earlier but I'm really worried about him.

The Phoenix, JML67 and Trequartista like this.
  8. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He seems to me to just get too tight?? Most of his screw ups are basic bread and butter defending. Reckon we have little choice right now but to stick with him and hope he comes good. Try to build up his confidence. Seems to offer little in the opposition box at corners too.
    Anyone notice, the other night, he played on the right, am sure he played all previous games on the left.

9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

This is it, it's not even just the usual poor first touch like he's nervous or a late tackle cause he's too eager to impress, he's making real poor judgements and getting exposed in dangerous areas.

Only a matter of time til one costs us and he really will be slaughtered. Hopefully he turns it around quickly.

10. jambo_cfc

New league , new team , new tactics , give the guy time. He may or may not come good but after a handful of games its hard to tell. Dont think playing on the left helped with taylor.

barry1916 likes this.
  11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Rubin Kazan have a 45k capacity stadium so it's not that much of a difference.

12. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    45k capaicity but they are a 10k attendance club on a good day.

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Fair enough but surely there's other clubs in Russia that have large attendances? My point is, he'll likely have played in front of large crowds before and it's not the reason he's had a few issues so far.

The Phoenix likes this.
  14. Sebelon

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    In IFK he had a bit of a shaky start. Didn’t look good enough, but after a few months he got really solid. So he needs time to settle.

Moore likes this.
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He is quick but his positioning so far has been awful and it hasn’t mattered either way, he’s always too far behind for it to matter because he’s started out of position then dived in.

The Phoenix and Mr Shelby like this.
  16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    The too tight thing was something that was really evident from his highlights.

I said before he signed I was getting Sviatchenko vibes in the way he approached his defending, maybe because he's not the tallest or most physical etc I don't know.

Dan Breen likes this.
  17. Pearse67*

Barkas mark II.

high fee, nowhere near good enough.

The Phoenix, Big C and Paradise88 like this.
  18. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Yes i do, but not the friendlies. Most likely played in a few friendly games.

As Sebelon said, i guess we'll see when he has settled in. Harsh to judge him this early imo.

19. Big C

I said after the Hearts game, and got slaughtered for it, that his basic defending looked woeful and was painfully slow and as another contributor on here has said these mistakes are nothing to do with Taylor, Welsh etc. My point was there are better scottish CB’s at less than half the outlay and probably make less glaring errors. We have got to hope the people scouting him watched him enough times to ensure that he has the ability to improve.

20. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    Have to agree.

The larger the fee, the more people are inclined to ignore the evidence of their own eyes and pin their hopes on a dud coming good. Understandable I suppose.

The early signs are very ominous. I mean it's just basic defending.

I don't think this is an Ange signing.

Pearse67* and James Mc like this.