1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Carl Starfelt

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jul 21, 2021.

Discuss Carl Starfelt in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    What stats are we talking about? Because we haven't dropped points in the league with Starfelt in the side since October. We're also have the fewest goals conceded.

2. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Hes still a bombscare, he has had moments, but usually its the odd erratic moment within good performances, with him its the other way around.

Maybe he'll turn it around, but not sure my fingernails are long enough till it gets to the bone.

3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He wasn't great in the cup final but over the piece of late he hasn't been bad.

As someone who hasn't been impressed with our centre back options for about a decade now for the most part he definitely doesn't give me as much fear as even Boyata did at points. Ambrose too.

Think some comments have been OTT. As much as he's had a few slip ups, we've been pretty consistent defensively and any slip ups domestically (Livingston and St Mirren) have been attacking issues, not defensively.

4. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    True but that doesn't mean it was down to Starfelt.

His aerial duel stats are pretty poor. Think he's like 5th or 6th worst in the league for players who have played 15+ games.

He was turned inside out twice by Nisbet.

He's quite lucky he has CCV and Hart to bail him out most cases.

Are you happy with Starfelt? I think we could do so much better.

5. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I agree but he's definitely in the same bracket as Ambrose and Boyata.

He's so inconsistent. He's either class like against Hearts and Motherwell or will gift the opposition chances.

Should be aiming for better imo

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We could do better but in theory and has been mentioned we could in theory do that for every player. Trying to target CBs within our budget is so difficult hence why I feel we should pay the £6m for CCV. We could go and pay another £4m for another CB and he could also be inconsistent.

Hes still an international player and has had a rocky introduction to celtic.

I'm just not wanting to write him off too soon. Could be a Kelvin Wilson type scenario where he just needs a bit more time.

For me we need someone taller and faster in there. Jullien isn't necessarily faster but he will bring some much needed height back.

Hammy89 likes this.
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

If he's in the same bracket as Boyata then that's not bad going. Boyata is another who was underrated and treated harshly in his time here. Think people need to realise that every player will make the odd mistake. Kyogo misses some sitters. Rogic is capable of having absolute stinkers like he did the other night. Forrest can have 3 or 4 games in a row where he's anonymous.

When I see comments like "he's a bombscare" or "I get the fear at the sound of his name", it's embarrassing. You'd think the guy was costing us a goal every game he plays.

We have the best defensive record in the league. Conceded 12 goals in 21 games, we conceded 4 goals in the 4 games Starfelt has missed in the league, 2 of those against Dundee and 1 against Livi. We're a better team with him in it.

Could we do better within our budget? I'm sure we could. But given some of the absolute haddies we've signed over the years, it won't be all that easy.

AussieGreek and Hammy89 like this.
  8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He just looks so awkward at times.. Even the position he gets himself into when receiving a straightforward pass can look weird..

He does have attributes, but he will cost us in big games..

Would get destroyed if we make the CL next season.

Needs to find that consistency, it is tougher for a defender or GK as their mistakes can actually cost us goals and games..

Jury firmly out for me..

Mickmac, Hammy89 and Seán Mac D like this.
  9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Boyata was a #Dud

:ange2:

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

:40:

11. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    I think he's fine and he pairs well with CCV. Most players make one or two mistakes per game but Starfelt seems to be the only one who gets hounded for them.

Hart's distribution has been dodgy at times, Juranovic has been guilty of some really poor passing, CCV sometimes gets caught out of position. But they all get congratulated for our defensive efforts.

Meanwhile any time our record gets brought up in regard to Starfelt folk will say it's despite him, and make him out to be some kind of donkey that the rest of the defence have to cover for.

I think we have had more trouble up front recently than we have had at the back e.g. Livingston and St Mirren. Hopefully our new signings will have sorted that, but until we've seen the evidence I'll worry more about our ability to score goals than preventing them at the back.

AussieGreek and Hammy89 like this.
  12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Tbf, the team as a whole would get destroyed if we get the likes of PSG, Bayern, City etc again.

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Wasn't great is being very charitable.

He got caught under a looping ball to gift the corner that they scored from, when he had so much time.to be behind the ball and attack it.

Then he completely lost his runner and gave him a free header in our 6 yard box to score.

Multiple times beaten in the air and then the fresh air swipe and nutmeg v Nisbet.

It's up there with one of the worst performances of a CB in years. Thank * Carter-Vickers and Hart held it together.

Mickmac and JC Anton like this.
  14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

You're spot on.

Was saying it a couple of months back. I really like CCV, but he's had a few games where he's given the ball away so cheaply at times (not so much of late), making pretty basic passes. But nobody said a word. Soon as Starfelt did it, it was the usual dross of calling him a dud.

Hart the other night against Hibs. Almost cost us a goal at the start when he pulled his arm away and Nisbet hit the post, gave the ball away twice by passing it straight to Hibs players. Again, no criticism.

Starfelt puts in a fantastic performance and you get people in here slagging him off again.

Some people just have it in for him. And as much as they suggest they don't, they do.

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I'm not so sure, the development is evident, aye we may take a sore one or two but also think we will surprise a few..

Not the same level but with the players we have to rotate now, we would have won at Betis and went close in Germany..

CL is big jump, but we may get a better idea from this European campaign..

But, the defence is a worry, especially if it features oor Carl..

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He had a mare, aye. But plenty players have.

I just feel it is unfair to use that game against him continually, when he's had a number of other better performances and often doesn't get credited. I think he will gain more consistent form, for me he needs to be more of a *.

Said it numerous times but he has that nice, Scandinavian, chilled vibe to him like Erik Sviatchenko had. Needs more aggression in his game at points and just keep it simple. I don't think his stature helps him at times. CCV is the same size but is built like a fridge.

Don't get me wrong I'm not as big a fan as others but I'm not wanting him sold or hounded out.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think if we try and play an expansive game against any of those sides we would still get shagged tbh. But I'd still want us to go for it, as I don't think we can sit in.

We've seen what can happen when we are wide open, against Leverkusen at home. Fair enough we should have scored goals but we still conceded 4.

It is actually a good point in terms of judging our defenders as well. In a style as expansive as this you would need to be some player to look perfect all of the time, one of the reasons I've been really impressed with CCV who has barely put a foot wrong. It leaves you very exposed and at our level it is hard to find defenders and CB's able to cope with that.

JC Anton likes this.
  18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'm in the same boat as @JC Anton the juries still well out for me.

There are small things he does in games that just don't fill me with confidence even when they often don't lead to disaster. Things like body shape were he angles it in such a way that only 1 pass is on and a striker can then press him knowing he can't go anywhere else. Carter-Vickers by contrast will always keep his body open to the play where he has "outs" if the defender presses.

That said he was excellent on Monday and I think even just going off this thread and Twitter he got plenty praise for it, as he should. We just need that level of performance consistently from him.

Mr Shelby and JC Anton like this.
  19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Tbf I know what you mean about the body shape but I think he isn't helped by being a right footer on that side. I know a lot of players can cope with it but he looks really uncomfortable.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye, I would rather we had a go than trying to sit in for a point etc...

Defending at that level will be the whole teams' responsibility, its early days but looks like we've recruited players who have that dynamism to defend the ball when we get turned over.... Especially in the middle of the park now.

The defence has been cruelly exposed because of that early in the season, especially in Europe, so it should in theory provide a bit more protection for the them..

Don't get me wrong, teams like City or Munich will pass through any press we can provide, so it will definitely be messy at times as we ain't changing how we play.. :56:

Mr Shelby likes this.